• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cool Hybrid concepts? Post here!

Cwheeler

First Post
With the new hybrid rules being playtested, there's bound to be a few interesting experiments around.

Some of them may be powerful, some characterful, and some just plain loopy!

If you have an idea, share it here.

(one I just came up with: Thaneborn Barbarian/Bard - Hard drinking, hard swearing, and hard fighting, full of fury and passion and song)

invokethehojo

First Post
from other thread

hope you don't mind wheeler but when I saw you started this new thread I had to repeat these to see what others thought of them

I have played this hybrid character twice now, an Eladrin Warlord/Wizard. I took the hybrid talent feat to gain tactical presence which allows me to take full use of my 18 intelligence (also have 18 str and 14 charisma, my dex is an 8, even with racial adjustments). My plan is to take the Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path so I can use my longsword as my implement. Here is how the character has worked out.

The cons
- My AC isn't so hot, at 4th level I'm rocking a 19, but my other defenses aren't far behind so I"m well rounded.
- My hp would suck but my DM is letting us use the scales of war backgrounds so I took born under a bad sign which lets me use my highest ability score instead of con for HP. I didn't feel too comfortable with this at first but the characters past actually fit it perfectly.
without this i would be hurting
- I've spent all my feats so far just making up for the weaknesses of being a hybrid.

The pros
Picking and choosing powers carefully has made me believe this character is the most generally useful character I've ever seen.
- I took opening shove for my warlord at will so when I'm in melee I can push away someone I can't handle and get out of there and let someone else attack him (great with 2 defenders in my party), or let an ally shift 4 squares to get them out of hot water.
- All my wizard powers are bursts or blasts and are geared towards killing: scorching burst, fire shroud, and soon fireball. I can hurt a lot of guys quickly
- I took warlord powers that use my high int (warlords favor, lead the attack) so I'm helping my allies take down the toughest foes quick (+5 to their attacks). After I soften em up with wizard powers I can pick off the tough ones with warlord powers.
- the fey step allows me to get in quick to heal an ally or get out of melee after I've messed someone up so the defenders can mop up.
- I also took cloak of the walking wounded and I buy healing potions so I don't have to waste my healing powers on myself.

I've had some amazing rounds with this character. I help my party be more effective, but I'm still effective myself (just buffing others does not sound like fun to me). Also, I built him knowing that my friend would be playing a tempest fighter, and we work as a team most of the time (to great effect).

The next character I want to try: Telebot- Eladrin Rogue/feylock hybrid talent misty step. I know most people would do this for the eyebite/sneak attack combo, but I see it as a more tactical approach to getting sneak attack. Curse lots of dudes, when they die teleport into flanking (or sneaking) and then get sneak attack. Combined with Eladrin fey step and other Warlock teleport powers you could be the most mobile character ever... which I think would rule.

invokethehojo

First Post
On your note I think the thaneborn idea is cool. I wonder how a thaneborn barbarian/paladin would work. Healing with massive damage. Not to mention it would be good for a primitive type campaign, which I would love to run/play in.

Caliber

Explorer
Some ideas I've thought of, but haven't tried yet -

Barbarian|Sorcerer, using Hybrid Talent to nab either Dragon or Cosmic Source. Str to AC baby!

Rogue|Ranger, Hybrid Talent for Beastmaster, free flanker at all times!

Fighter|Ranger, Hybrid Talent for Tempest, damage city

Fighter|Barbarian (or any Str/Con class, really), Hybrid Battlerager, real juggernaut

Bard|Warlock, Hybrid for Fey Pact (or Dark or Star, I guess), real trickster, lots of status effects, teleports, and buffs

Gah! Too many ideas! Overload, overload! :confused:

Warlord|Wizard sounds interesting, and I like Barbarian|Bard as well ... reminds me of an old 2E kit (think PrC, sorta) called the Skald.

Warlock/Swordmage- the highly moble swordsman.

Ranger/Druid- the true beast lord... beast companion, and wildshape...

Barbarian/Warlord- thaneborn and chalord equal a great leader...

Eldorian

First Post
Warlock/Swordmage- the highly moble swordsman.

You go con and int, pick star or infernal pact, and your warlock at will is really good for a defender. You can mark a guy to make him want to attack you, and use dire radiance to make him take damage to get to you, or the infernal one to make him take damage if he damages you. And if he doesn't attack you, you reduce his damage. It's a very good combo.

I'm playing a sorcerer/rogue with wild magic hybrid feat and demonskin adapt paragon path right now. Basically he uses sorcerer powers to do aoe damage, and using rogue powers to do single target damage, with the notable exception that the demonskin adept's 11 encounter power is a massive single target damage spell. He's drow, so he can use his darkness to get combat advantage on turns he really needs to hit or wants to do SA damage.

Juris

First Post
Hybrid Idea

One thing about hybrids in general - human have a big advantage, being able to pick up a third at-will power.

One idea - a Fi/Ro with Hybrid Talent - Brutal Scoundrel (add St to sneak attack). This character takes advantage of a high ST and Dex, by taking fighter powers specific to light blade that give bonuses for Dex, and Brutal Scoundrel rogue powers that give bonuses for high ST.

bganon

Explorer
Shaman/Wizard - spirit summoner, take a familiar too, freakish pets everywhere

Bard/Avenger - voice of vengeance, maybe hard to pull off but stuff like guiding strike+oath of vengeance means you never miss

Warden/Vestige Warlock - pump Con, inflict conditions, and just generally be a sticky sack of HP like a regular warden... but with ranged powers, too

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads