• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cool Spell Combo's

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Acid Fog might do more damage, but Wall of Force followed by Blade Barrier is far more entertaining. I cast the wall as a cylinder and our cleric casts the BB. We call it THE FOOD PROCESSOR .:eek:

Two points:

1. Wall of Force can be cast as a vertical plane or a hemisphere, not a cylinder.
2. People only take damage when the spell is cast, or when they "enter or pass through the blades", not every round they're in the area of effect. If they stand still, then they just need to wait out the duration, and they'll only take damage in the first round.

-Hyp.

Quidam

First Post
Grease + Forcewave (MoF)

Nice because they're both 1st level- certainly not a smackdown, but they do go well together...

Surefoot

First Post
Well it's not exactly a spell/spell combination, but a color spray with expert tactician is always very nice. You don't even need haste that way!

Wizard - Color Spray
Fighter - Effectively Hasted (as per 3.5 rules) without the +4 AC

Works also neat with sneak attacking.

Last edited:

Pax

Banned
Banned
To improve on the "push them through a prismatic wall" concept: use Zajimarn's Avalanche (from MoF). Push MULTIPLE enemies throught he Prismatic Wall at ONCE.

I call it "Flushing the Cosmic Toilet" ... heh!!

Bwa ha ha ... Manos/DemonKnight, eat yer gnomish lil' HEART out ... bwa ha ha!

DSC-EricPrice

First Post
Not really a combo but this recently worked with great effect on my party...

its important to know I have two guys playing fighters who do massive damage and who relish running from place to place wacking and smashing their way to next level. So much so that the rest of the party rarely gets an opportunity to shine...

The heroes (7th level all) were invading an underground temple. The head badguy (A 9th level enchanter) casts clairaudience to watch his cronies fighting the heroes. At the appropriate moment (ie when the heroes were looting the bodies), he let a lightning bolt rip down the hallway. That waylaid half the party and certainly caught them off guard. Off the two fighters go, charging down the hallway (through an illusionary curtain)

Meanwhile enchanter goes back to using clairvoyance to spy on the party. Seeing them recover he watches one of them heal himself as the other flies into a rage and runs down the hall. Sensing an opportunity the DM drags the hero into the other room... and the barbarian into a bank of mind fog... Now, this enchanter has spell focus enchantment. Coupled with his 18 Intelligence the DC was 21. With +2 on the Will saves these two simpletons never had a chance... Well, they had a little chance as I dont believe in mathematically eliminating people but hey, they missed it.

The enchanter cast true strike the round the barbarian began his run down the hallway and followed up with ray of enfeeblement. A mid-boggling good roll reduced the once mighty barbarian down 9 points of strength. , thus reducing the barbarian's fire power considerably. What followed next was comical.

It had to be because the barbarian simply broke out laughing (Tasha's Hideous Laughter - DC 18 to be precise). Even with his +2 raging bonus he couldnt muster up enough to overcome DC 18.

The barbarian had just fallen prone in laughter when the second fighter arrived through the curtain. Had he refocused in the hallway while his companions were healing him he might have had a chance. As it were, he too quickly fell for the mind fog and the hold person (DC 19) that followed.

The enchanter holds the barbarian now too, now wanting to chance that he might recover. With 7 more rounds to go on the fighter he checks in with the remaining heroes to find them almost up to the curtain and desperate to hear a sound. To encourage them he unleashes an ice storm, which pummels the poor rogue, wizard, and cleric waiting outside the "curtain". (no save)

They rush into the room, unsure of what to expect but wanting to do something besides get their butts handed to them.

Surprisingly every single member of the party failed their mind fog saving throw.

OK, That was not intended.

As it were I proved to be a big softy. Instead of suggesting (DC 20) them a nearby lake of fiery magma was a cool refreshing lake I merely suggested they needed to take some important "evidence" I had and have the nearby duke imprisoned for being a traitor to the throne...

OK, maybe that was worse.

Bauglir

First Post
This one requires a bit of knowledge about your enemy's int to be truly effective

Maze
Delayed blast fireball x several (depending on how long it will be till they're back)
Spherical Wall of Force around their location

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Miasma.

Wait, that's not really a combo, is it?

How about Miasma followed by Command, 'inhale'?

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Demon Knight

First Post
Manos/DemonKnight, eat yer gnomish lil' HEART out ... bwa ha ha!

Was that meant as a reference to both of us separately or that you think I am Manos? Well, unfortunately, I am not him. But I'll still eat my heart out, since the thought of seeing an army consumed by a prismatic wall just amuses me. :D

Taren Seeker

First Post
Pax said:
To improve on the "push them through a prismatic wall" concept: use Zajimarn's Avalanche (from MoF). Push MULTIPLE enemies throught he Prismatic Wall at ONCE.

I call it "Flushing the Cosmic Toilet" ... heh!!

Bwa ha ha ... Manos/DemonKnight, eat yer gnomish lil' HEART out ... bwa ha ha!

A lower level alternative would be to use Chain Battering Ram (MoF) instead of Zaj. It's only 5th and can bull rush 1 target /level. It has a +13 to it's check which is a good advantage, especially if you're targeting the back rank spellcasters.

The combo also works well with an Otiliuke's Dispelling screen, lesser or greater. Ready an action for when a spellcaster starts casting, throw him through the screen (getting a targeted dispel check vs all of his buffs), force a concentration check for him to complete the spell, and since spell effects cannot pass through the screen his spell will get blocked anyways. Finally, if he wants to get back into combat he has to walk through the screen AGAIN giving you another targetted dispel check.

I've used it to great effect. I'm not high enough to throw a Prismatic Wall but someday...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads