• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cool things you remember from some setting of choice

Turanil

First Post
Tell me of some thing you thought was really cool in a setting you were a player in. This may be a homebrew or published setting. This may be anything: a cool organization, an unexpected culture, a nice history, recurring NPCs, etc., whatever you thought was real cool for you as a player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: I wouldn't mind some details about the things you thought were cool; because in most cases simply mentioning the name makes it otherwise incomprehensible to those not having the specific book where it is featured. Thanks. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

The_Gneech

Explorer
I always thought Greyhawk's "Land of Black Ice" was very evocative, as well as the whole Icewind Dale area in Faerûn. The fact that they're both semi-arctic wildernesses is mostly coincidence. :uhoh:

-The Gneech :cool:

Gold Roger

First Post
I've always been partial to the Eberrons shadow marches (which I've both played and DMed).

I guess it's the whole dark backwater athmosphere, with always a bit more going on. Innesmouth meets indiana jones and sword & sorcery.

Playing a witch hunter in Warhammer fantasy was a blast.

As far as D&D settings go, I always enjoyed the epic struggles of Dark Sun and Dragonlance.
In Dark Sun particularly, I enjoyed the fantastical post-apocalyptic setting, the crumbling shanty-towns and oppressive corruption in the cities.

Dragonbait

Explorer
I always liked the races of Dragonlance.
I like the Cobra-like behavior and organization of the Emerald Claw from Eberron.

... Unfortunately, my GMs use the generic temperate hills/forests and the default D&D races for EVERY setting so I can't boast much about most of the home-brews.

justawhit

First Post
An adventure setting that I still enjoy are the 2 villages in the Lendore series, Restenford and Garrotten. For small villages they add a lot of detail for the npcs but leave some areas undefined. What's interesting is there have been 2 sequels to the L1 module basing the adventures themselves within Restenford. There was a sequel to L2 with the adventure taking place in Ravenloft. Since I don't have L3 I don't know how it relates to the first 2 adventures.

I would like to see more adventures taking place with these two villages. I've even based the Saltmarsh series around Restenford with Keep on the Borderlands located in the hilly region north of the village in my campaign. These villages are a good jumping off point for many possible adventures.

Clueless

Webmonkey
Can I say "Planescape" and "all of it" and still be considered to be answering the question? ;) Ok, if I have to narrow it down. I've got a personal fondness for the diefic realm of Chronepsis on the Outlands. Astral spell-addiction rules have been hilarious to see in the game. And I adore how Planescape has certain 'rules' that are running themes in the setting, things like "The Rule of Three". Everytime I see something pop up in game that ties into those greater themes it makes the game feel deeper than just a dungeon-crawl, kill the dragon get the loot, game.

Oh, and Ancient Baatorians - love em. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads