• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

DonTadow

First Post
JDragon said:
Well, after going over this thread about 6 times in the last few weeks, I'm starting to make a little progress.

I've opted to go with an overhead projection set up. Since I'm setting it up in my living room I have to keep it low profile and removable. I'm actually going to mount the projector on the wall just below the ceiling off to one side of the table. With the way the image travels up from the lense and the keystone correction it looks like I will be able to get a straight image at almost 40" by 53" or so image.

We did a proof of concept test with me on a ladder holding it in the proposed mount postion, projecting down on to our gaming board. The few guys from my game that had gotten their early for the test were impressed with the size and brightness of the image we are going to get. As was I. :)

Now all I need to do is build my mount and get the projectio surface ready. Still think I want to try painting the plywood we use white and gridding it. But I'm also looking at making a large sheet of graph paper down at kinko's with the oversize copier since my image will be to big for a single sheet of the 1" graph paper that can be purchased.

Quick ? - I have a standard monitor input & S-Video connections on the projector and my laptop, which am I going to get a better image from or will it matter for game useage? Just trying to figure out which kinda cable I should get since I'll need longer ones.

Thanks

JD
Too late but ditto. I didnt realize how important connections was till a few months into my projection life. I assumed S-video, but the vga will giive you a far better picture. DVI is even better.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
We moved a few months ago into a house with a finished basement (drywall ceiling).

Ended up adjusting the strap and shelf mount by mounting it to a couple 18" long 2x10 boards. The whole thing is screwed to the ceiling at the studs. So it's a 'permanent' set-up although occasionally I'll pull the projector from the shelf.

The map is not one of my better ones (Isle of the Ape, tribal village).

The play area is larger than 2 Fantastic Locations maps.

Attachments

• Game Room.JPG
    Game Room.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 238
  • Game Room 2.JPG
    Game Room 2.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Projector.JPG
    Projector.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Minis on Map.JPG
    Minis on Map.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Snurre Cthuhlu Tiamat vs the Party.JPG
    Snurre Cthuhlu Tiamat vs the Party.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 2 Fantastic Locations Maps.JPG
    2 Fantastic Locations Maps.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 226

JDragon

Explorer
JJ, great pics.

I hope to have my projector mounted and running for my game on the 21st of this month with pics up in a few days after. I actually just took a couple "before" pics to have ready.

As I have been reading more on my projector and such I have found it can do several ratios (don't know what else to call it). Its native is 4:3 but it can do 16:9. It looks like the 16:9 takes a longer throw distance, so I will more than likely go with 4:3.

I was just wondering what the people already doing this are running at?

Thanks

JD

JDragon

Explorer
UPDATE...

My home made wall mount is completed and working. Was able to get some test images on the coffe table today and have run into a problem.

Keystone, it looks like my proof of concept test last week was not a complete as I thought. Now that everything is set up i'm getting a bit of a skew to my pics. in the 4:3 ratio with a 40 inch High / 52 inch wide image I have an angle on the image. In 18 inches of distance I gain an inch of width, ending with the top 2 inches + wider than the bottom.

Any one know any tricks that might help with this?

Here are a few images of the room / befor after and with the projector mounted.

The room where it will be before I did any work.

Close up of the hooks the rig hangs off. Only thing that stays when projector removed from room.

Close up of rig on table, from the side.

Close up of rig on table, from front.

Rig on the wall 1.

Rig on the wall 2.

I'll should have pics on sunday or monday of the actual images I'm getting in game to post.

JD

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
JDragon said:
Keystone, it looks like my proof of concept test last week was not a complete as I thought. Now that everything is set up i'm getting a bit of a skew to my pics. in the 4:3 ratio with a 40 inch High / 52 inch wide image I have an angle on the image. In 18 inches of distance I gain an inch of width, ending with the top 2 inches + wider than the bottom.

Any one know any tricks that might help with this?

Have you already maxed out the keystoning adjustment on the projector?

rom90125

Banned
Banned
Steel_Wind (or anyone who has an opinion):

I'm thinking about purchasing a Dell 2400MP...your thoughts or opinions on this model?

Steel_Wind

Legend
2400 MP is a nice unit. When this thread started (nearly two years ago!) it was about $1,000.00 more than it is listing for now.

It is XGA, has a throw range competitive with most. At 5'9" - it's in the 42" diagonal range.

Contrast is 2000:1 or better. Brightness wise...at 3000 ANSI the biggest problem with the unit is that it may be TOO bright. That's a whole lot of VOOM in the ANSI lumens category. You can have too much of good thing. Certainly when the bulb is new and has yet to start to dim a bit, running that thing at full power may blast your player's eyes back in their skulls.

Run it in econo mode and you should be fine. Plus, at 36 db, it's a little loud at max brightness anyways.

Price at $1,049 right now is pretty good. You might look for a deal on a BenQ with similar features that includes a free lamp - some web dealers offer those.

But if Dell has your attention, I expect you'll be happy with it.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
JDragon said:
UPDATE...
My home made wall mount is completed and working. Was able to get some test images on the coffe table today and have run into a problem.

Any one know any tricks that might help with this?JD

Only thing left would be to tilt the table.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads