Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
The plan -- with the straps -- was based on not really understanding just how flat the wall-mounted TVs can be these days. The one I got is incredibly flat and thin.

When I talked to the furniture guy, one of the options he was talking about as an alternative to a complex system for raising/lowering the TV, was to have a second table top.

So, the idea is that you'd have one tabletop that was either one big piece or a couple of leaves that clic together. These can be removed to reveal a hidden tabletop that has two levels -- the outer ring, which is what actually supports the leaves that were removed, and the lower level, set about two inches down, which can hold the TV.

That would be mechanically much, much simpler -- no need for moving parts, etc.

-rg

JDragon

Explorer
The plan -- with the straps -- was based on not really understanding just how flat the wall-mounted TVs can be these days. The one I got is incredibly flat and thin.

When I talked to the furniture guy, one of the options he was talking about as an alternative to a complex system for raising/lowering the TV, was to have a second table top.

So, the idea is that you'd have one tabletop that was either one big piece or a couple of leaves that clic together. These can be removed to reveal a hidden tabletop that has two levels -- the outer ring, which is what actually supports the leaves that were removed, and the lower level, set about two inches down, which can hold the TV.

-rg

The second level sounds like a good idea, my only concern would be if its solid what effect it would have on the TV being able to dissipate heat?

I guess you could build in vents and even some fans if needed to keep it cool, but that just seems like more work to me.

My plan is very similar to what you have described in having a set of leaves to go over the RPG area to cover the TV and allow for other games with out worrying about scratching the TV.

Nellisir

Hero

I thought about that, and would prefer it, but one of your tabletops is going to a be a few inches lower or higher than standard. I personally don't think that's a big deal.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Having played with the TV on the table for the past 9 months, I can tell you that it generates an incredibly small amount of heat (and noise).

The "basin" or whatever that hold the TV would have to have some holes/gaps for cables, etc -- so it wouldn't be completely encased -- but I really don't think heat will be a problem.

falcarrion

First Post
Here is my setup. i created a frame from PVC pipeing.
From itouch 4 046.JPGFrom itouch 4 049.JPG

JDragon

Explorer
Nice set up.

What size TV and if you don't mind how much did you get it for?

I'll be starting my search for a TV in the next few weeks.

Remove ads