• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

saethone

First Post
you don't need to mount the projector on a ceiling, think of a lightstand type deal, where when you're gaming you move the stand to the table and hang the projector from it (through affixation..don't just tie it on!)

Steel_Wind

Legend
On the wall vs tabletop method, I think it's important to mount it so it's projecting on a central table around which all the players are gathered.

The reason is partly physical, but I think the effect it has is mostly mental.

With a top down projection on a central table around which everybody gathers, the technology unites the players together and focuses their attention on something between them all that each is participating in. Each player can reach and manipulate their miniature as required as they always have. It's democratic and immediate, in that sense.

The technology keeps the game focused at the table - and not looking somewhere else. The players look at one across the table as they always have. There is a GAME going on here.

I'm not a fan of the wall mounted projection for these reasons. It disconnects the player from the group and focuses his attention outside of the circle. More importantly, it disconnects him from a miniature he can easily see, move and manipulate. The technology starts to divide the player from the game as a participant.

This is a subtle shift from the technology which, when used top-down at a central table is inherently participatory and engaging, into something which becomes remote and less immediate. The player switches into "entertain me" mode.

Most technologies we've played with or thought about trying as part of our games have ended up not conforming to our play style and tend to detract from the overall experience rather than add to it. The projector has been a real exception to this, and it's one of the reasons we are so happy with it.

Both in terms of the usefulness of the technology and participatory aspect of it when used on a central table, I find that it enhances the experience at every level, without fundamentally changing the way we game.

That dynamic is only half there when you are projecting on a wall. The disconnect and feeling of removal of control from the player and lack of focus on the group may seem kind of airy and nebulous, but I think it's an important factor to consider.

Last edited:

Nyrath

First Post
Oh, I agree that tabletop projection is the desired method, for all your reasons and more.

It's just that sometimes we have to settle for less. So the game master who is borrowing the projector from work may not be able to mount it on the ceiling.

But in a perfect world, ceiling mount is the way to go.

rom90125

Banned
Banned
One question to Steel or anyone else using the NWN Toolset...how do you handle 'hiding' rooms with shut doors, or areas that show in the projected image because you are using the NWN toolset to display the layout?

I like that I can stay in the 'toolset-view' and scroll the image, but, how do you 'hide' areas the PC's haven't investigated yet? My group will be starting CoTSQ this weekend, and I'm creating the Dordrien Crypts using the NWN toolset. Because many of the caverns aren't laid out in a linear fashion, I'm concerned that the players will see a portion of the cavern with a hidden entrance and then meta-think their way into finding the secret door. Of course, I could always tell the players to disregard what lies on the edges of the display, but, that kinda takes away from the 'shock and awe' effect.

Thanks.

rom90125

Banned
Banned
Wulf Ratbane said:
I just scoured this thread and there's no direct link to the NWN toolset.

SteelWind, is there some reason you won't link to it directly?

the only way I know to obtain the toolset is to purchase NWN. I think you can purchase the game from an online vendor for around $25 USD.

Last edited:

Boredflak

Explorer
Hey Steel_Wind,

I saw somebody post a warning on the Dundjinni boards about poor heat dissipation when a projector is pointed directly up or down.

I haven't had any noticeable overheating problems with mine. What do you think?

3d6+15

Explorer
rom90125 said:
One question to Steel or anyone else using the NWN Toolset...how do you handle 'hiding' rooms with shut doors, or areas that show in the projected image because you are using the NWN toolset to display the layout?

I like that I can stay in the 'toolset-view' and scroll the image, but, how do you 'hide' areas the PC's haven't investigated yet? My group will be starting CoTSQ this weekend, and I'm creating the Dordrien Crypts using the NWN toolset. Because many of the caverns aren't laid out in a linear fashion, I'm concerned that the players will see a portion of the cavern with a hidden entrance and then meta-think their way into finding the secret door. Of course, I could always tell the players to disregard what lies on the edges of the display, but, that kinda takes away from the 'shock and awe' effect.

Thanks.

Franky I only use it for "battlemats" so far. For Dungeon Exploration I plan to use a scanned image with a masking layer in PaintShop Pro. I'll check out other options as I go. I didn't get to use PSP for dungeon exploration last weekend though because there wasn't any. I had some planned but my PC's were delayed by an extra trip back to town to get some Restorations. Silly Wights!

The best I could think of using NWN Toolset would be to set the areas ambient light level to something really dark and then drop down light sources as necessary to reveal the areas. I can't think of anything in the default Toolset that gives off a light radius in the mapper, but I have goofed around with models myself and have a small, barely noticible rock I can use that gives off a radius of light in the Toolset. (Actually three different sizes currently.) You could drop as many down as necessary to just illuminate the areas you want. I believe the light goes through walls and doors however so it wouldn't be perfect (but you could make the radius small enough to not be a big deal.

It's interesting.

Remove ads