• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

twonine

First Post
Building a removable projector setup

Hey all,

I'm putting together a projector system for our game based on all the success we've seen here already. I'm going to use a Toshiba TDP-XP2U, which is 2500ANSI, and 2000:1 contrast, XGA. I saw it in person at Fry's and it really blew away the competing projectors at the $600 price point.

My install needs to be completely removable, which is a little more challenging. The solution I've come up with is to use a single Ikea Stolmen post, and mount the projector to that, at about a 60 degree angle.

There was a similar project, using the post to mount a bike:
ikea hacker: stolmen bike rack

I'll send some photos when we get it up and running.

For running the game, we are looking at possibly using something like Flash, to layer fancy animating effects on top of the map, and little status effect bubbles under the miniature bases.

JDragon

Explorer
Using a Mirror?

Evening all,

I've had my projector for a little over 2 years, but due to some changes will be re-arranging how my projector is set up.

I'm looking at using a ceiling mount and a mirror to direct the image down to the table.

From what I understand this will be better for the projector than mounting it hanging straight down since it would not vent as well. Any one have experience with this?

I'm looking at having the mirror around a foot from the projector and then about 7' to the table. Will this work ok? What problems could I run into?

Thanks

JD

Ruined

Explorer
That's close to the setup I have. My projector is atop a tall hutch cabinet, and I have a framed mirror suspended from small chains and plant hooks in the ceiling.

As you'll be bouncing the image at an angle, you'll have to adjust the keystone settings all the way, and even then you'll experience a small bit of convex images. And depending on how you suspend the mirror, if it's like mine, you may notice a small amount of shift from airflow in the house. Neither effect has bothered me.

Pics of my setup are linked somewhere up above, but I believe they're stored here: Tabletop Projection pics

D&D

First Post
Anyone happen to have saved some of the pics provided in the OP? The links are dead and my world won't be right until I get a gander at this badossity.

BruntFCA

First Post

Steel_Wind

Legend
Anyone happen to have saved some of the pics provided in the OP? The links are dead and my world won't be right until I get a gander at this badossity.

The web site they were hosted was lost. They may be on some other hard drive here in my home somewhere - but I'm not terribly hopeful.

I'll take some more pics next session and repopulate the first post with newer pics.

Steel_Wind

Legend
You don't need 7foot projection length anymore. You can use something called a "short throw" projector.

Quite true. And if you are buying a new projector, short throw projectors are a lot cheaper now then they were five years ago.

You can also make a quick system based on 36 inch LCD screen now as well, since you can pick one up for less thatn $400
A 36" or even 42" LCD has its strengths and weknesses. Above all, it needs a custom table. If that's something you want to make - no problem.
His system is nice because it is portable.
As for the portability factor...I guess your game moves around a lot?

I think you will find that - for most people (admittedly not all) portability is not something they place much of a premium on. Projector based gaming groups tend to be held in the same home every session and the projector is usually installed in a fixed position. While portability is nice, I would never sacrifice ease of use at the table to retain it.

If portable projection is important to you, I suppose that approach will work. But to be honest? I think it's a poor design for normal use. Don't get me wrong - it's GREAT in the sense that it firmly holds the projector in place, but it's bulky and gets in the way of the reason you have a projector in the first place: to play RPGs.

What you want from an ideal tabletop system is one that does not get in the way of the players at all and totally fades from the room. It creates a projected image in the centre of the table - and that's it. That projected image has everyone gathered around the table with books and dice and minis. The players are all interacting with the map, and their minis -- and with each other -- in the same way as they would with a Battlemat and wet erase markers in the centre of the table.

The cage and raised surface just gets WAY too much in the way of the players - both in interacting with that map and in talking with each other. That's not an effect I would ever strive for when planning a tabletop projection rig.

As a rig to use at, say, a convention? I'm with you 100%. Very cool for that purpose.

Last edited:

GentleGiant

Explorer
For the last couple of years I've wanted to use a projector for my games and I've finally decided to do some serious looking into it.

So I started browsing the various eBay'esque sites to see if I could find a useful and good, yet cheap projector for this project.

I stumbled upon two projectors that are up for sale "locally" and wanted to get some input on them.
The first is the Toshiba TDP-T90U.
The second one is a Acer P5260i.
They're both xga projectors with good lumens. The throw distances are a bit different, though. Also, the Acer is almost twice the price of the Toshiba (DKK 1700.- vs. DKK 3000.- - or roughly $313 vs. $553)

On the other hand I can get a new BenQ MP525-V (don't know what the "-V" stands for and if the specs are different than the one I link to) for DKK 3150.- ($581)...

I'll most likely be using a top-down rig of some kind.

So, any advice would be great! :)

Steel_Wind

Legend
First off, I have a Toshiba T90U. It's a serviceable projector and that's a decent price for it. I've never had any problems with mine, FWIW.

You've linked to the right site for each of those units. The thing you need to look at is:

1 - Is the resolution Native at 1024x768? In the case of the projectors you have shown, the answer is "yes". Are they all at least 1800 ANSI or higher? Yes they are. Brightness is good enough on all of them (more than 3000 is too bright, imo).

2 - Click on the projection calculator link for each of those projectors. Below, change the measurement to english to give your self a foot and inches scale.

Play with the throw length on each unit and look at the diagonal result for each at a particular focal length.

Assuming....

A - Your celing height is 8'; and
B - Your table height is 30"-32"; and,
C- Your projector is about 6"-8" deep when mounted

then you want to look at the diagonal image size from a range of about 57"-60". If your ceiling height is ten feet - awesome - you got a lot more to play with. (You ususally can get a few more diagonal inches using the Zoom factor on the lens, btw.)

As long as you diagonal image is 38"-42" across, you are in the acceptable range. If not, you will want to increase that focal length by using a mirror, angled projection with keystone correction, etc..

A larger image is good - but only to a point. As you increase image size, your pixel density drops correspondingly. It's a geometric drop, so be mindful.

I don't think any of those units are poor choices. A newer unit with a new lamp is going to last longer. Other than that, it's a matter of money.

If you get the T90U and the lamp lasts long, you'll be relatively pleased. If not, you'll be unhappy. There really is no way to guage it. (I would never trust the internal read out on a used unit in terms of how many hours are on the bulb, either. They can easily be reset and you'll never know.)

If you can afford the brand new BenQ - you might look at that one.

But I think a Samsung L220 is a much better deal though, as it has a much shorter throw length (and is cheapr, too).

There are other cheap short throw projectors out there - that just happens to be one that I have a handy link to. I urge you to poke around more on your own.

Play with the image size on the L220 at 5' or so on the projection calculator, and you'll see that you can push the image size to about the max you'll ever want to get it to for gaming purposes when positioned directly over your table -- with a diagonal of about 48" (30"x40"). Past that size, pixel density will become problematic as 25x25 pixels per sq. inch is about as low as you want to go. (You can push it to 20x20 if you feel the need).

Enjoy -- and post pics of your set up!!

Remove ads