• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Coolest/Scairiest/Most Epic 1st Lvl Boss fight?

jgsugden

Legend
Consider not using a boss monster, but a boss situation. A relatively moderate opponent fought in an exciting situation can be as cool, if not cooler, than a battle with a dragon. For example, instead of killing a dragon that is about to attack the town, put into place a mindless monster (construct) that is attacking the town and the PCS need to figure out how to stop it (destroy, capture, disable) before it destroys key elements of the town - even though it never attacks them directly. Have some minor foes alongside it that are attacking the party while they go after the mindless monster.

nebulaexpress

First Post
When I design low-level boss fights, I usually have them effect things around them more than them directly attacking. For example, I had an encounter with an enemy called The Blood Red Bard, who continuously buffed a group of thugs and eventually fought.

Tormyr

Hero
Really scary boss style fight in the first chapter of my conversion of the Age of Worms AP. Water Weird in a pool of water. Very dangerous for the PCs (although they can be level 2 by the time they encounter it).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
There was a good boss fight in Lost Mine of Phandelver. A bugbear and his pet wolf in the end of the goblin caves. I don't know if it was the coolest or scariest, but after clearing out the rest of the cave it was tough. I think we didn't hit level 2 until we got to town.

Also: Hobgoblins. Anytime I see those chainmail wearing, shield wielding low CR baddies, I know I'm in for a bad time.

The very first session of my pirate campaign had sort of a level 1 boss fight at the end. But I should provide some context. Half of the group of players was locked up in a Kturgian* prison tower, while the other half had to climb said tower from the outside, to attach a chain to the cell, and rip it apart with the aid of a large ship in the water down below. But climbing back down the way they came, turned out not to be an option, because the alarm was immediately sounded, and guards with muskets started opening fire. The prison tower had gun ports everywhere, so the players would be sitting ducks if they climbed down the rope. So there was only one option left: To escape through the inside of the tower. They had to first acquire some weapons, and decide what other prisoners they would set free (if any).

(* A ruthless Turkish-inspired faction)

Once they had found some weapons, and freed some prisoners (who would join their pirate crew later), they would have to fight their way down, floor by floor. The prison tower was located not far from a rocky shore, and always in the middle of a violent swirling sea. Inside the tower it was a maze of stone spiral staircases, and bridges with no railings. Any wrong step would result in a very long drop and a short stop. So they had to treat carefully, and keep an eye out for guards with muskets on lower levels.

The boss battle

Right before they reached the bottom floor, they encountered a guard with two pet crocodiles. They knew that the sadistic guards would often feed a prisoner to the crocodiles, whenever they were bored, or grew tired of the prisoner. But other than that, they rarely fed the crocs, so they were very hungry. Now even a single crocodile is quite a fierce opponent for a level 1 party. But since one of the players was a Druid, I threw in 2 crocodiles, so that the encounter wouldn't be entirely negated by a lucky handle animal check. And they did indeed manage to pacify one of the crocodiles, which then turned on its handlers.

So now they were only up against 1 crocodile and what was left of the guards. I first had the crocodile attack one of the npc prisoners, just to show the players what they were up against. Much to my own shock, I rolled maximum damage, and the crocodile instantly shredded the npc in one attack. This made it clear to the players that this was not an opponent that they wanted to get close to. So the players used the staircases and pillars to their advantage. The entire building was designed in such a way that it encouraged the use of cover (since enemy guards would be shooting from other floors with muskets), and the use of bridges to funnel enemies into areas where they would be easy pickings.

The players managed to beat this encounter with few injuries, thanks to clever team work and use of the terrain.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
So, as a general rule, at 1st level, the PC's probably shouldn't face anything that can do more than about 1d4.... maybe 1d4+1 damage in a single attack. And preferably the creature if it has multiple attacks (which a boss will need) is constrained not to attack a PC more than once a round. Big bursts of damage just result in stupid unavoidable deaths where a PC dies despite the player not making any mistakes.

The goal of any boss fight should be to get the PC's down near the single digits, before they by dint of resourcefulness and teamwork manage to eck out of a victory. At 1st level, this historically hasn't left you with much room to work with.

Any boss worth the name can either take multiple actions in a round or use an area of effect attack, and is capable of resisting damage in some fashion, and of hindering or debuffing the PCs so that they lose actions.

I doubt there is anything that meets all the qualifications for a good boss in the MM. You'll have to make one up.

So mix and match between the following:

Offence: Multiple attacks OR Area of Effect Attack. Either should do about 1d4 damage. If multiple attacks, make sure it has a radial body plan or multiple serpentine heads. Limit attacks to 1 per PC.
Defense: Damage Resistance OR Fast Healing OR Summons 1/2 HD Minions to Act as Shields
Debuffing: Retributive Attack (thorns, spines, spurts acidic or flaming blood/ooze, body is electrified) OR has an aura that causes choking/nausea OR gaze attack shakes/demoralizes foes OR causes icy/greasy patches to appear OR conjures flimsy walls/barriers that split up party OR spits webbing

Think up an appearance. Give it a fairly low AC but a pretty big bag of hit points, calculated based on how much damage you figure the party can do in a round and how many rounds they can probably survive, preferably with a little margin for bad luck.

If I needed a 1st level boss fight, I'd make up some sort of bone spirit, possessing a jumble of bones. Or I'd do some sort of possessed animated object, or pile of such objects. Or I'd do some sort of alien escapee from the Far Realms. Or I'd make the boss a column of sentient telepathic rats with glowing red eyes that act as a single organism. Or maybe the same thing with plate sized spiders. In general though, I try to get PC's to around 2nd level before presenting a boss fight. At first level, they are just way too fragile and even a small streak of bad luck can put the party into a death spiral.

Last edited:

Lord Legokeiki

First Post
Never popped a 1st level boss, closest thing I did was throwing a wight at a second level party of four.
The encounter consisted of the Wight, a few dudes with swords, and a priest. (Squishy 4 health human with magic missile)
I planned to have the Wight surprise attack on round 2, but I quickly realized the party was struggling enough with the minions, so I gave them another round to thin them down.
When the Wight entered combat, it immediately took down ths party's druid and put a couple points on the monk. The cleric smacked it with sacred flame, and spent the next couple rounds putting the druid back up. The ranger kept the Wight locked down with his silvered sword, and the monk cleaned up the rest of the minions. I decided not to use the wight's multiattack or life steal, and he rolled a couple of misses, nonetheless, the ranger was on the defensive, and wasn't doing enough damage.
I was debating having the Wight retreat to avoid a TPK, but then the monk came in to assist the ranger, and the sruid got back up. THEN, the Wight crit KO'd the ranger, and the monk had to retreat. Things were looking bad, and the cleric was KO'd as well. The party would probably have been TPKed if the druid hadn't knocked a chandelier down on the wight, killing him with the fire dmg from candles

Thurmas

Explorer
I think a good way to set a sense of danger to a fight is to have the encounter take some people out. If you can introduce some NPCs early on that the characters can get a little invested in, then have a couple bite the dust early on in a boss fight can really set the mood of the fight and add a sense of mortality.

Beyond that, as mentioned, loads of hitpoints, low AC, multiple attacks spread around but low damage.

mellored

Legend
An ancient red dragon.

In the middle of a towns celebration, the dragon attacks. The PC's need to gather their wits, gather the townsfolk, and fight back. 1000 pesants will eventually win, but at a cost. Once the dragon is down to half health, it leaves.

Just make sure the PC's don't get hit by the breath weapon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads