• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Soundtrack. EVAR.

Random Axe

Explorer
I think I've just found the greatest gaming soundtrack for D&D: The CD soundtrack to the Zhang Yimou film, "Curse of the Golden Flower".

Not to mention the fact that the film itself is simply MASTERFUL, but the music is not to be believed. Whether for battles, mooning around in an elven kingdom, or anything, do yourself a favor and check this one out.

Any other D&D soundtrack recommendations? Gustav Holst's "The Planets" makes for great background during our Star Wars campaign.

Anyone have any comments about the "Pirates of the Caribbean" soundtrack(s)?

Rechan said:
First Pirates soundtrack is really good.

I think the second is even better; one of my all-time favorite soundtracks of all time. :)

The third is nothing special, though, alas. :(

Other good movie soundtracks for games (depending, of course, on the style of game) are Conan, 300, the Fog (yes, the recent one; just 'cuz the movie sucked doesn't mean the music did ;)), Gladiator, From Hell (skipping the first piece, of course), and Transformers.

If you're looking for non-soundtrack instrumentals, check out Midnight Syndicate. And if you can still find it, Danzig's "Black Aria" is worthwhile for darker games.

Napftor

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
The third is nothing special, though, alas. :(

I'll agree with you for a lot of it but if you can't get excited by track #5 from the At World's End disc, then I don't know how you can be helped. :)

Of course Conan is a classic (although I seldom use it for some reason). Other goodies that find repeated playing are Rambo II, Rambo III, King Solomon's Mines, Air Force One, Willow, Lionheart, the 13th Warrior, First Knight and more that I can't remember at the moment. And snicker all you want at the Rambos but them's got some damned fine music, says I.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The soundtrack to Blackhawk Down is pretty good too, particularly for action-based Al-Qadim. Passion by Peter Gabriel too.

ejja_1

First Post
Last of the Mohicans
Brave Heart
The 13th Warrior
If you want a really bad A$$ song for large armys of doom marching check out the song Stormraiser by the band Excessive Force.

Klaus

First Post
Back in the day when I DMed lots of Masque of the Red Death, I used Silence of the Lambs, Brom Stoker's Dracula and Night on Bald Mountain more than anything. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and the movie Wolf (the Nicholson/Pfeiffer one) also had very good soundtracks for that.

My favoritest "D&D fight" piece must be "Swordfight", from the "The Three Musketeers" (the Sutherland/Sheen/Platt/O'Donnell/Curry/de Mornay one) soundtrack. Conan has the best soundtrack for a grittier swords-and-sorcery game.

For modern games, there's no better fight song than "You Could Be Mine", by Guns'n'F***ing Roses.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads