• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest Underground Dungeons

The_Magician

First Post
I am alot more comfortable with creating castles, labyrinths, etc, than creating underground dungeons. I am creating an adventure that would have a mountain underground dungeon in the beginning of it. Can anyone point me to a good module with a cool underground dungeon that I could use and modify? The adventure itself doesnt have to be great. I am only interested in the dungeon itself.

scadgrad

First Post
I'd give Undermountain a miss unless you want to develop all that empty space yourself. TSR really ripped us on that one since it's basically a huge, yet empty and unfinished, map.

I'd say check out Tomb of Absythor from Necromancer. It's a strong mix of caverns and dungeons all located beneath a tall hill in the Stoneheart mountains. I've ran it twice actually and my current group has been plugging away at it for about 4 or 5 months now. It sounds like it would be perfect.

Barring that, you might want to give Rappan Athuk a look also by Necromancer games. It's just massive and has both cavern and dungeon areas as well. It's certainly earned it's nickname: the Dungeon of Graves and though no where near as random and deadly as ToH, it'll probably claim a high body count.

If you can wait a bit longer, you can play through EGG's original Castle Greyhawk now in production by Troll Lord Games. With a projected 7 volume set it should feature all the caverns and dungeons you'll ever be likely to need.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I'll be the fanboy that will suggest The World's Largest Dungeon.

I'm expecting our group to finish it sometime near the end of the year.

Psion

Adventurer
The_Magician said:
I am alot more comfortable with creating castles, labyrinths, etc, than creating underground dungeons. I am creating an adventure that would have a mountain underground dungeon in the beginning of it. Can anyone point me to a good module with a cool underground dungeon that I could use and modify? The adventure itself doesnt have to be great. I am only interested in the dungeon itself.

Does this mean you are really only interested in a map? If that's the case, you may want to browse though WotC's map-a-week archive. Or, if you are in it for a few dolloars, go to www.rpgnow.com and look at 0one games' adjustable PDF maps.

I wouldn't recommend Undermountain or WLD if you just want a breif foray as opposed to a long adventure it iteself, though.

The_Magician

First Post
Psion said:
Does this mean you are really only interested in a map? If that's the case, you may want to browse though WotC's map-a-week archive. Or, if you are in it for a few dolloars, go to www.rpgnow.com and look at 0one games' adjustable PDF maps.

I wouldn't recommend Undermountain or WLD if you just want a breif foray as opposed to a long adventure it iteself, though.

No. I am interested in the Dungeon, with it's inhabitants, echology and natural dangers&features.

Psion

Adventurer
scadgrad said:
I'd give Undermountain a miss unless you want to develop all that empty space yourself. TSR really ripped us on that one since it's basically a huge, yet empty and unfinished, map.

I don't feel at all ripped off by Undermountain. It's not like they didn't give you a nice, packed adventure book full of encounters and room descriptions, some of them very cool. They just gave you extra space to work with beyond that.

Calling undermountain a ripoff is like declaring a nice feature packed multi-story house a "ripp-off" because it happened to include an unfinished basement.

Remove ads