• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest weapon from literature?

Favorite named sword from literature?

• Lightbringer

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Ice

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • Need

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Glamdring

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Narsil

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Sting

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Stormbringer

Votes: 106 44.9%
  • Callandor

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 56 23.7%

Zander

Explorer
Neowolf said:

I don't know if the series has a name, but be aware that it's a fairly lengthy, obscure, and well-scattered one. I don't know if anyone could positively list them in chronological order, or even compile a complete list (other than Michael Moorcock, the author, himself, that is).

I have Gollancz Press's 'Fantasy Masterworks' compilation of Elric stories. I'm reading it at the moment. It lists what appears to be a comprehensive and chronological bibliography of Michael Moorcock's work including his novels, collections, graphic novels, non-fiction and titles edited by him. The bibliography may have been provided by Michael Moorcock himself.

ISBN: 1 85798 743 8

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Love Stormbringer but also like the sword form The Misenchanted Sword book, could not put it away/let go until you killed someone, gave you long life, had to be kepted X number of feet from you. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Stormbringer? Please. No panache.

I've just remembered another great weapon - the enchanted warclub Headbasher, drinker of men's memories. Cursed Headbasher, which no man can truly own, but may only rent.... :) [from Craig Shaw Gardner's "Ebenezum" books]

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Hand of Evil said:
Love Stormbringer but also like the sword form The Misenchanted Sword book, could not put it away/let go until you killed someone, gave you long life, had to be kepted X number of feet from you. :)

Wrikidor, I believe.

It didn't give you long life, it just kept you from dying. No matter what. Age was still an issue...

Wrikidor (or was it Wirikidor?) was linked to the first person to bear it - until such time as he slew a hundred men with its magic. At that point the curse would have broken, and the next person to draw it would be linked until he slew 99 (the first being the former owner.)

If it got separated from its owner, events would conspire to return it - someone might pick it up without noticing and wander around, dropping it without noticing in a place where someone else might find it and happen to take it to where the original owner would find it. When the owner threw it in the river, the river flooded to bring the sword back to him...

J

First Post
I have to say, my favorite sword from literature is unnamed (as far as I remember). It was the sword weilded by Belgarion of Riva, which he used to slay the One Eyed God Torak in David Eddings's Belgariad.

The Orb of Aldur which made up its pomelstone was intelligent, and it was, all around, a bad@$$ sword.

Alan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads