• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core, and Epic magic items

Sil

First Post
My question is regarding magic item pricing. When discussing it many people say "But that’s epic"

As I understand the epic rules, they apply to players and campaigns over level 20. I don’t see how rules created for a +20 environment should effect the lower level environment.

Is this not like publishing a campaign setting that changes all the magic rules, and when someone wants to play core, telling him or her they are doing magic wrong.

There are no magic item bonus limitations in the core rules, or even the current campaign settings that I am aware of. I think it is stupid that one can make an item pre Epic cheaper than epic, but that is a problem with Epic, not core.

Am I way off in left field, or is this a valid point?

Last edited:

Endovior

First Post
Hmm? Of course there are limitations. You can't have more then a +5 enchancement bonus to weapons or armor, nor can you a single ability worth more then +5 (although you can combine them easily enough, up to +10). You can't get more then a +6 enhancement bonus to a stat from a wonderous item. Etc...

Exceeding these limits requires Epic Feats and Epic Characters, which dramatically increases the price.

Bront

The man with the probe
I've seen the armor and weapon limits, and those are fine, but I've never seen any writen limets on things like skill or stat based items, at least spelled out in the non-epic SRD/DMG.

Sil

First Post
Thanks. So there is a "nothing over +5" for weapon and shield. Where is the cap on ability and skill bonus?

EDIT
Heh, sorry, didnt check before posting

Len

Prodigal Member
Inherent bonuses to stats are also limited to +5. You'll find this tucked away under the Wish spell:
SRD said:
Note: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The big thing is that ANY item outside the standard lists is subject to DM approval. The DM should probably look at an item that is flat-out better than those (ie - a +16 to a skill, a +8 to a stat etc etc) and say no.

Trainz

Explorer
I like to sometimes give an epic magic item to ONE of my players at levels 15 and up, so as not to say "ah... you're now level 21... well I guess you now have access to a whole new batch of items.".

Nothing much though. A ring +6 or a belt of strength +8, nothing that unbalances your game.

Remove ads