• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core Command?

Swack-Iron

First Post
Ghost2020 said:
Anyone check out the Core Command line from Dream Pod 9?

It's OGL and it seems to look cool.

Core Command was a beautiful idea that, unfortunately, didn't work out. The idea was simple: a big, huge, multi-galaxy scifi setting with super-duper-high-tech (battleships that were 20 km long, computers as big as a planet, etc).

Sadly, Dream Pod 9 (Core Command's publishers, makers of the fine Jovian Chronicles and Heavy Gear lines) suffered a bit of a meltdown right about the time Core Command was in development. They lost a lot of their tallent, the non-d20 market took a downturn which hurt their JC and HG lines, and somewhere along the way the execution of Core Command just didn't live up to the vision.

The published book, as is, isn't really worth it (keep in mind that I'm a big fan of DP9's other lines). It's the barest skeleton of a setting, without enough information to take advantage of the vast galaxies they'd just begun to describe. And for the d20 fans, their d20 implementation was horrible. As much as I like DP9 in general, as well as the idea and promise behind Core Commmand, I cannot in good concience recommend any of the Core Command books.

If it helps, I think this review on rpg.net is accurate: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9406.phtml

Turanil

First Post
Swack-Iron said:
The idea was simple: a big, huge, multi-galaxy scifi setting with super-duper-high-tech (battleships that were 20 km long, computers as big as a planet, etc).
All of this crammed into a single 160 pages softcover book. :lol: :lol:

Remove ads