Core Rules Alternative Cover Gift Set

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

gyor

Legend
On the topic of PDFs, a modern PDF is quite different in options / functionality to older pdfs.

I love technology but as it is even with having D&D beyond, Fantasygrounds and every book in hard cover. I will often sit down with my tablet and read scanned pdfs of the books.
Why?
Because they are more comfortable for me to read than physical books in certain circumstances and D&D beyond sucks to read at any length beyond referencing imo. (especially if I want to list page numbers for my note taking or refer players to page numbers)

Then you get companies that do PDFs well like MCG and their books (Numenera 2 books especially, really well done PDFs)

I can access it offline, I can bookmark pages or create notes on pages themselves (great for errata or notes on connecting/related rules)

PDFs are a great option and the fact that there aren't any options to buy them has done nothing but lose WotC money, people who want to pirate have been able to pirate since the launch of 5e.
Remember that we went YEARS without beyond as well. Which was especially annoying.

Actually WotC has created a situation where the pirates have a monopoly on 5e PDFs, so I have no sympathy for WotC.

I personally chose to buy the physical products, but I don't judge others given WotCs choices.

Let's compare them to Onyx Path the only other RPG company I buy from.

A few months ago or so I pledged about $90 Canadian for a premium physical Changeling: The Lost core book with special covered and I will get the Changeling: The Lost Core Book PDF (PDF corebook value by itself $25, Kith and Kin: The Book of Kiths $15-$20, Changeling Jumpstart PDF $10, Changeling Companion $10-$15, Seasonal Anthology PDF $5-$10, all 1e's PDFs like around 10 books I think, well over a $100 in value if purchased seperatey), and that includes shipping for the physical book. Also digital changeling dice.

I'm doing the same thing with Geist the Sin Eater in it's current kickstarter.

And these corebooks alone are as big or bigger then the 5e PHB.

Meanwhile I can't even chose to buy the WotC core books PDFs separately.

Last edited by a moderator:

unknowable

Explorer
Actually WotC has created a situation where the pirates have a monopoly on 5e PDFs, so I have no sympathy for WotC.

I personally chose to buy the physical products, but I don't judge others given WotCs choices.

Let's compare them to Onyx Path the only other RPG company I buy from.

A few months ago or so I pledged about $90 Canadian for a premium physical Changeling: The Lost core book with special covered and I will get the Changeling: The Lost Core Book PDF (PDF corebook value by itself $25, Kith and Kin: The Book of Kiths $15-$20, Changeling Jumpstart PDF $10, Changeling Companion $10-$15, Seasonal Anthology PDF $5-$10, all 1e's PDFs like around 10 books I think, well over a $100 in value if purchased seperatey), and that includes shipping for the physical book. Also digital changeling dice.

I'm doing the same thing with Geist the Sin Eater in it's current kickstarter.

And these corebooks alone are as big or bigger then the 5e PHB.

Meanwhile I can't even chose to buy the WotC core books PDFs separately.

I doubt it is the D&D team that have made this choice. And ultimately I want as many people to actually buy product to support their game system so we get more and hasbro doesn't just look at as "that other well known property that isn't MtG".

Sure whales like myself are helping spread the earnings, but there should have been a digital option from the get go.
Heck imagine 5e launching with herolab support and pdfs. It would have opened up many avenues for new players to get in easily. Not that 5e is hard, but it would be casting a much wider net.

D&D Beyond is actually quite a good tool, pretty terrible for reading books on imo but for rules reference it is pretty good.
I dislike the small load times on pages though (they add up) and it isn't good enough that I would recommend it over a physical book or pdf.

Damn, just thinking on how much I have spent on 5e so far. More than with pathfinder and I own nearly every pathfinder hardcover, multiple adventure paths and most of the pawn sets.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Man, I would love these as posters for my game room. He sells the Volo's cover as a poster. It would also be cool if he would sell t-shirts with these images without the titles.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads