• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core rules only for character designs?

Are core rules enough for character design?

• I play characters crafted entirely from DMG/PHB rules, nothing else.

Votes: 118 51.8%
  • I've got to go to other sources to make a character I'm happy with.

Votes: 110 48.2%

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Poll seems to set up a false dichotomy....either you do use just the core or you are unable to use just the core.

I'm ABLE to use just the core just fine. Could I make a swashbuckler-esque character with the core rules? Sure, no problem.

Ah, but the class in Complete Warrior does it so much *better*....why would I stick to the core alone?

The core had a certain focus. If you want to go outside of that focus, other products are a grand help. I could have fun playing D&D with just the rules in the Core 3 for hundreds of years...but I can have MORE fun playing D&D with everything else I get to add.

So it's a matter of why take vanilla when I can have vanilla with sprinkles? :) Yes, I'm not always in the mood for sprinkles, and sometimes I don't like sprinkles, and sometimes I'm watching my weight, so I choose no sprinkles, but more often than not, it just adds color and texture to what already is *delicious.*

Sado

First Post
I pretty much stick to the core books. I can make just about anything I want with the standard classes, and I can be pretty sure they will be allowed in most any game I'm in.

Ashanderai

Explorer
No, I can no longer bring myself to use just the PH and DMG for the creation of my characters. I have been gaming for well over 20 years now. For me, the vanilla core classes are old hat as I have played all the variations of those classes that I am interested in playing. To do that anymore is boring and I would not want to play in any game that did not allow me to stretch a bit more creativity-wise for my character concepts. I like settings and genre that use specific and unique core classes like being a spirit adept for Dawnforge, a sohei for oriental adventures, or a gunmage for Iron Kingdoms. I also really like to use classes that can be ported over to a lot of different settings like those that Arcana Unearthed offer or even the class books that Green Ronin makes like the Psychics Handbook. I feel the same about the races. I would much rather play a changling, ogier, or a giant than an elf or dwarf; unless that elf or dwarf were made into something really neat, like the Nyss from Iron Kingdoms.

Boojum

First Post
As lots of other people have said, this poll just isn't precise enough. I have often made characters using only the PHB and DMG and had a lot of fun with them, but I love trying out new stuff as well. The current game I'm running allows the 11 core classes, as well as gadgeteer, medic, psion, psychic warrior, soulknife, wilder, greenbond, totem warrior, unfettered, witch, holy warrior, pistol mage, runemaster, and shaman. That said, the last game I ran had a lot of brand new players, so I went core-only. Both games have been very enjoyable, so I just can't answer the poll.

WalkingDead

First Post
Playing AD&D 2E for years taught me that there are a lot fewer headaches if you force players to stick with the core books for character creation. ... I still have nightmares about kits.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Kamikaze Midget said:
Poll seems to set up a false dichotomy....either you do use just the core or you are unable to use just the core.

I think from his first post (where he says "I'm more interested in practice than theory") he's asking which do you do more often? Based on your answer, I'm guessing you would fall more under the second option. I would fall more under the first because, while there are some fun options out there, I'm more often sticking to the core stuff than not.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I can't answer this poll becuase I've done both, making satisfying characters using just the 2 core books mentioned and I've made satisfying characters using non core material (such as a PRC and/or a several noncore feats etc).
Sorry. Make a new poll.

atra2

Explorer
Sometimes a given PrC seems attractive, so I make a character around it, but I also try to have a backup plan.

In Living Greyhawk, my first character was and is a wizard. Pure wizard is pretty good. No PrCs demanding you spend 2-3 feats on them, so you have a good power build as a pure wizard simply by taking the most effective feats.

However, I'd bought Tome and Blood, mostly for new spells, and decided to get some use out of the book, and bent my wizard towards Elemental Savant. Now he's Wiz5/Fire Savant 4, and, he's always been an Abjurer. Fire Savant goes well with that since Fire is a very common attack form.

But, if the PrC left Living Greyhawk (by not being reprinted in Complete Arcane, as the 3.0 splatbooks leave the campaign after the Complete Series is done) I would end up as a pure wizard, and still be happy. (so long as they let me redo my feats)

My next Living Greyhawk PC is simply a Dwarf Rogue, though I added 1 level of fighter into the build. He has no other goal than Rogue X/Fighter 1, and is Rogue 6/Fighter 1 now. He has only taken the archery feats (pb shot, precise shot, rapid shot) and I'll probably take Quickdraw at 9th level. He truly does not need any splatbook stuff, and I'm happy to have a character completely playable and effective using only Core books.

Next is a Dwarf Ranger, now level 3. He took Combat Reflexes at 1st level, and bought a Glaive. Then he learned TWF Style, then picked up Quickdraw. Depending on the situation, he uses his Glaive, Urgrosh or Shortbow. I may add a spiked gauntlet soon so I threaten 5' around me. TWF, per the 3.5 FAQ, allows me to TWF with a 2h weapon and armor spikes. His 6th level feat will be Hold the Line from Complete Warrior, and I will consider more Complete Warrior feats, as he primarily acts as a Pikeman, and unlike archery, 3.5 core rules have few feats to assist that archetype.

Next is a Human Cleric, level 2. A Summoner w/ Conj Focus and Augment Summoning, plus the Law and Good domains so his summons last +2 rounds longer when he summons a Lawful Good creature. I think he'll be pure cleric forever, a standard craft feats + spell penetration mix eventually. At 8 INT, I can't afford the skill points for a PrC, and I don't mind focussing on turning undead. Another relief character that requires one rulebook to run.

Next is a Half-Elf Cleric, level 1. He will end up a melee cleric eventually, though I'm playing the Bless (and eventually Prayer, etc.) support role for now. He has Magic and War domains. (Living Greyhawk kept the Magic domain for Corellon Larethian even after 3.5 PHB removed yet, yet left "deity of magic" in the flavor text. Dumb choice. Even Player's Guide to Faerun kept the Magic domain.) His thing will be using wizard wands, and occasionally scrolls (when he's not in armor) to supplement his melee prowess. I'm seeing a decent chunk of wizard wands as treasure these days, so while he's only played one adventure, he'll be able to get some serious versatility going. I am planning to eventually move him over to Holy Liberator and some Templar (Complete Divine), but I could make do with adding fighter levels eventually. He needs at least 7 cleric levels to get access to Divine Power, and can diverge from there.

Next up is a level 1 Human Sorceror, and I'll be quite satisfied with PHB spells for him. Heck, my main wizard character still has no splatbook spells in his spellbook, even though he has access to copy a decent selection anytime he wants. PHB spells are simply more than good enough.

I think for the most part, all the classes are good in Core, and I don't care so much about PrC caster classes, as I do melee feats. If I could only have one splatbook, I'd take Complete Warrior so I could take a pure fighter (without any barbarian levels even!) and go to town with a great variety of feats. PHB fighter is pretty kick-butt too, though the saving throw stacking from being fighter2/barbarian2/ranger2/PrC #1 level 2/PrC #2 level 2 is too good. It makes it easy to be immune to Fort saving throws, and that immunity is too attractive because even a pure fighter with Iron Will and 14 WIS (ha!) still will get Held, Slept, Charmed, whatever, way too easy.

I'll be making a pure fighter sometime soon, maybe this year, for Living Greyhawk, but I will definitely be using Complete Warrior. (Living Greyhawk does have this rule: no splatbook stuff until your 3rd character level, so as a Human Fighter, I will need to pick 4 PHB feats before my first "uber" feat :)

Finally, in the one homegame I am in, you can see my character in my signature below, as well as the rest of the party, and observe how many pure PHB class characters we have. The Ranger9/Wiz1 is going for Arcane Archer now, but the Druid/Wiz is staying Druid X/Wiz 1, the Drow is going PrC, the Sorc is staying pure Sorc. A decent mix.

Amazingly, I might be the most minmaxed because my char is ranger 4/rogue 4/dungeon delver 2, and his final level 20 mix will be:

ranger 5/rogue 4/horizon walker (underground) 1/dungeon delver 10.

Of course, my damage output is barely decent, but my skills roxxor the
City of the Spider Queen adventure we're in. :)

So, for me, it depends on the character I'm playing. As a DM, I have ideas of making it important to gain a patron for your PrC, or join a Guild or somesuch, and RP it out, pass a dangerous test, whatever, so I would tell players "let me know before the game what your character looks like at level 20 with only PHB classes, or at least as much as you're planning on, if you intend to take other classes based on in-game experience instead of a solid plan. Also, if there is a PrC or two you want, let me know what that would be so I can, at my choosing, provide NPCs who can lead you to the appropriate training in time. Be prepared to play with only PHB classes though, as you may not like or gain favor of the only NPCs who can lead you to a PrC."

In this way, someone starting a level 1-3 char (depending on what we as a group want) can RP the quest to find someone with certain skills as a mentor early, and feel the reward later for "earning" that PrC. Alternately, the char could decide they're not going to cooperate with the Tharizdun cult of Elemental Evil, and plot ways to capture one and use magic to learn how the cult took the (true neutral) elementals captive and gained their power. Then the prospective Elemental Savant could learn how not to mistreat elementals, perhaps learn where one can be found, and get the party to go on a quest to meet the elemental and barter for its knowledge.

That's what I'd like to see: a primarily Core campaign where you have to seek out
teachers of rare lore, and deal with it if the teacher is evil or uncooperative, etc.

That way, there's a quantity restriction on what non-core stuff is learned, and your campaign is richer for it.

Wombat

First Post
I can create a fun character with just the core rules.

I make a better character (for my needs/desires) with house rules and third party books.

So either answer is correct, depending on emphasis.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads