Coreline: Welcome to the Jungle

TheVengefulKoala

First Post
“Sure, it’s a moon, to be much more specific-but everybody calls it a ' planet ', because nobody cares about specifics.
And sure, it’s a jungle. So’s the Congo. So’s the Amazon. So’s Skull Island. So’s Kashyyyk.
And I suppose I don’t need to tell you that every place I just mentioned is an ABSOLUTE DEATH TRAP, even WITHOUT the natives?”
-2nd Lieutenant Benjamin J Guidry, callsign ‘Depot’, Australian Army 2nd Division. Dated Nov 25th, 8 Post-Vanishing.

The moon designated as ‘ Planet ’ Pandora (UNSC registry: CB-EL-89398211) is located on the orbit of gas-giant Planet Polyphemus at the Alpha Centauri system. The moon (roughly the size of Earth) was discovered by the UNSC Lang-Class Exploratory Probe #2290-9595 on December 18, 7 Post-Vanishing. The sensor scans found a lush plant and wildlife and unusual energy readings both under the surface and on the atmosphere… as well as the remains of several outposts of some kind, nearly absorbed by the jungle.

A recon team, UNSC-R-95, was deployed 35 hours later to determine the nature of the ruins and a better analysis of the planet conditions.

The team managed to land on the ruins of the largest outpost on the planet and quickly transmitted info about the planet, including its atmospheric composition (Ammonia, Carbon Dioxide and Hydrogen Cyanide, among others), and files scavenged from the outpost’s computers.

The team’s final contact was a notation that they would attempt to contact the natives, detected during the drop.

They never contacted again.

The UNSC promptly analyzed the data from the outpost, discovering that it had vast references to the natives (labeled as the Na’vi), and also had an extensive survey of the planet, making multiple mentions to a material the outpost’s scientists labeled ‘Unobtanium’, a material capable of exponential energy amplification. It also told of the conflict between the Na’vi and the outpost’s security forces and how the natives won (this the UNSC labeled as the ‘ Pandoran Incident ’, with the recon team’s loss being the Second).

The Unobtanium information, and several other items in the files, were labeled top-secret.

For a time, it was well. The UNSC kept hyperspace traffic in Alpha Centauri well away from Pandora and, other than the routine probe launch and orbital scans, the planet was left untouched. Attempts to contact the Na’vi or the recon team remained unanswered. A Stargate was put in orbit for rapid transit of research ships and heavily policed.

Like many other things in this blasted universe, ‘well’ was not to last.

The Third Pandoran Incident happened on August 30th, 8 Post-Vanishing. A small Stingray Industries recon team, led by Sylia Stingray and Washu Hakubi, landed on Pandora to retrieve an unknown file from the compound. Immediately, the Na’vi attacked, killing all members of the team but Stingray and Hakubi. No demands were sent and only implanted trackers proved that the women were still alive.

As a Megacorp CEO, Stingray’s captivity was a major problem for the UNSC-and a heavy debate, whether to move in and save her or to stand back and let things happen, occurred in secret.

That was a few hours ago. Now a Stingray Industries-owned frigate orbits Pandora. Onboard are over 300 f the best men, women, and things currently employed by Stingray Industries Security. Soon, an assault team will be deployed to Pandora's surface.

Their mission: to rescue the Chief and Washu.

Rules of Engagement: succeed.

CORELINE: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Inspiration: James Cameron's Avatar, Predator, King Kong
Character Level: 10
Hit Points: Full.
Action Points: From previous level.
Races: All accepted-full backstory requested.
Books: D20 Modern Corebook, D20 Apocalypse, D20 Past, D20 Future, D20 Future Gear, Urban Arcana, D20 Weapon's Locker, Coreline threads.
---------------------------------

Right, some more information. I'm looking for approximately 4-6 players for this. Characters can be anything you can think up, but it's best if they have some sort of specialization. Riflemen, grenadiers, field officers, snipers, mecha operators; anything that would work in an assault team is good.

Bruce-Boxleitner-1-grande.jpg

CAPTAIN THOMAS RONALD ROLLINGS (Fiction Human, Chicago P.D., Ret.)

Human Male Strong Hero 4 / Fast Hero 3 / Tough Hero 3

[sblock=Stats]
Strength 14 (+2)
Dexterity 15 (+2)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 15 (+2)
Size: Medium
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 195 lb
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Pale

Talents:

Ignore Hardness
Improved Ignore Hardness
Evasion
Increased Speed
Remain Conscious
Robust

Total Hit Points: 51

Speed: 35 feet

Armor Class: 21 = 10 + 9 [class] +2 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 21
Flat-footed: 19
Initiative modifier: +2 = +2 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +7 = 5 [base] +2 [constitution]
Reflex save: +6 = 4 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Will save: +5 = 3 [base] +2 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): +10/+5 = 8 [base] +2 [strength]
Attack (missile): +10/+5 = 8 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +10/+5 = 8 [base] +2 [strength]

Action points: 75 (lifetime)

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
58 lb. or less
59-116 lb.
117-175 lb.
175 lb.
350 lb.
875 lb.

Knife [1d4, crit 19-20, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb, one-handed, piercing]

Beretta 92F autoloader [2d6, crit 20, range incr 40 ft., 3 lb, ballistic, semi-automatic]

M16A2 assault rifle [2d8, crit 20, range incr 80 ft., 8 lb, ballistic, semi-automatic/automatic]

Law Enforcement (starting occupation)

Drive
Knowledge (tactics)

Feats:
Point Blank Shot
Double Tap
Quick Draw
Quick Reload
Combat Martial Arts
Simple Weapon Proficiency [free]
Two-Weapon Fighting
Weapon Focus x1 Weapon(s): Beretta 92F
Personal Firearms Proficiency
Advanced Firearms Proficiency
Vehicle Expert

Skill Name Key
Ability Skill
Modifier Ability
Modifier Ranks Misc.
Modifier
Balance Dex* 6 = +2 +4
Bluff Cha 2 = +2
Climb Str* 6 = +2 +4
Computer Use Int 2 = +2
Concentration Con 2 = +2
Craft (Structural) Int 2 = +2
Craft (Visual Art) Int 2 = +2
Craft (Writing) Int 2 = +2
Diplomacy Cha 2 = +2
Disguise Cha 2 = +2
Drive Dex* 9 = +2 +4 +1 [Law Enforcement] +2 [vehicle expert]
Escape Artist Dex* 6 = +2 +4
Forgery Int 2 = +2
Gamble Wis 2 = +2
Gather Information Cha 4 = +2 +2 [know current events]
Hide Dex* 6 = +2 +4
Intimidate Cha 6 = +2 +4
Jump Str* 8 = +2 +4 +2 [speed 35]
Knowledge (current events) Int 7 = +2 +5
Knowledge (popular culture) Int 6 = +2 +4
Knowledge (streetwise) Int 6 = +2 +4
Knowledge (tactics) Int 7 = +2 +4 +1 [Law Enforcement]
Listen Wis 2 = +2
Move Silently Dex* 2 = +2
Navigate Int 2 = +2
Perform (Act) Cha 2 = +2
Perform (Dance) Cha 2 = +2
Perform (Keyboards) Cha 2 = +2
Perform (Percussion) Cha 2 = +2
Perform (Sing) Cha 2 = +2
Perform (Standup) Cha 2 = +2
Perform (String Inst.) Cha 2 = +2
Perform (Wind Inst.) Cha 2 = +2
Pilot Dex* 6 = +2 +2 +2 [vehicle expert]
Repair Int 6 = +2 +4
Research Int 2 = +2
Ride Dex 6 = +2 +4
Search Int 2 = +2
Sense Motive Wis 2 = +2
Spot Wis 6 = +2 +4
Survival Wis 2 = +2
Swim Str** 6 = +2 +4
Treat Injury Wis 2 = +2
Tumble Dex* 6 = +2 +4

* = check penalty for wearing armor

This character also has 2 ranks in Speak Languages.
This character also has 2 ranks in Read/Write Languages.

Race: Fiction Human

Extra feat at first level (already included)
Four extra skill points at first level (already included)
One extra skill point at each additional level (already included)

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Strong Hero 8
Level 2: Strong Hero 1
Level 3: Strong Hero 1
Level 4: Strong Hero 2 +1 to dexterity
Level 5: Fast Hero 1
Level 6: Fast Hero 2
Level 7: Fast Hero 1
Level 8: Tough Hero 4 +1 to charisma
Level 9: Tough Hero 4
Level 10: Tough Hero 4

Equipment:

Languages: English (Base), Spanish, Japanese.

Allegiance(s): Good, Stingray Industries.

If you are using the wealth system from the core rulebook, roll 2d4 and add +1 (Law Enforcement).

More about this character: Former Chicago Police Department officer hired by Stingray Industries.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Backstory]
"I look in the mirror and I hate what I see. I hate myself.

I don't hate my job. I don't hate my boss. I don't hate my partners, and I don't hate my standards. I hate myself.

I hate it when I tune on to CNN and John Effing Sheridan is being his damn messianic self. I hate it when I leaf through 'Wired' and I see the latter thing that Alan Effing Bradley made up.

I hate it on the anniversary of this other officer I knew, some guy named Kuffs. Having to go there and see his brother's stare on my back.

They have (or had) my face. All of them. Don't recall the actor's name-and I don't think I wanna go look for it. If I ever meet the guy who had the funny idea of giving me this face, I'm gonna shoot him.

I'm not much important, in the meatgrinder of this 'verse. Just popped up here, in Chicago, during the Hours. Picked up a gun and kept law and order. Decided to go and keep on serving once the whole mess calmed down.

At some point, I started hating myself. Dunno when exactly. Maybe it was all of the stares and misunderstandings piling up.

Finally, I decided to get out of the service. Enter another one, at Stingray Industries. Became a gun-for-hire. Was greatful that the Chief's morals were as high as advertised.

I've been serving for a few years. Made friends, made family.

Any of them would lie their lives for me. I would do the same.

All of us would go to war for The Chief."

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Still working on the man.\

On another note, I personally vouch for this guy. His campaigns are absolutely nuts-and Coreline is no exception. Actually, the multi-crossover aspect of the setting has allowed him to be... more diverse.

Example: one campaign of his had the team working with an Elric Brother, James Bond, Fox Mulder and a Naruto-style ninja to solve a conspiracy... and the way he made the characters didn't made it look too crazy at all.

Last edited:

Just updating I added the stats for Captain Rollings (needs a few adjustments, though-and the backstory).

What about available equipment? Does Stingray Industries provide for some gizmos or do we need buy everything?

Also... might need make adjustment on the guns. But I would have to ask what kind of firearms are available.

Remove ads