• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Corporate Stupidity: Exhibit A - DC Comics

Azgulor

Adventurer
Note: This is not a commentary about gay characters in comic books. I have zero problem if a character is created & written as a gay character. This is a commentary about retcons, cheap publicity stunts, and corporate stupidity.

So Alan Scott, the original non-Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern has been changed to a gay man in DC’s brainchild of the “New 52”, for no apparent reason beyond some cheap publicity and an attempt to jump on President Obama’s bandwagon with his current “evolving position”. With the DC quasi-sorta kinda-reboot & the merging of the Wildstorm characters into the DC universe, DC had plenty of characters they could have highlighted that are already established as being gay. They could also have created a brand new character, one without the “troubling baggage” of 50+ years of comic continuity – in other words, a perfect launch point for a new character, which was one of the primary reasons cited for the sorta-kinda-reboot in the first place.

But publicity stunts don’t have to be stupid – sometimes they are effective. So why is this a bonehead move on DC’s part? Because for years, decades even, they’ve been bemoaning the fact that aside from Batman & Superman, they haven’t had any media success in making their other heroes more popular & mainstream. In this area, particularly with respect to films, Marvel has been kicking the snot out of DC. After Supes & Bats, Wonder Woman rounds out the Iconic Trinity of DC but hasn’t carried a film or TV show since the 70’s. (I mean, how many years have we been hearing about a possible Wonder Woman movie…) DC kicks butt on the animated media side and has been successfully expanding brand awareness of other characters via that medium – but that road’s a much higher hill to climb to break into the popular culture the way Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Cap, Thor, or Spiderman have done via movies.

Case in point: Green Lantern – that is, Hal Jordan, Green Lantern of Earth, member of the Green Lantern corps. GL’s been getting quite the media push in recent years and is arguably the 4th most iconic DC character behind Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman. Feelings on the movie aside, it moved GL into the popular culture. He’s also got his own animated TV show, the only DC character I can think of to have done so in years outside of Batman, Superman, or made-for kids characters like Static Shock.

And this is where the corporate stupidity comes into play. DC decides they want to “out” a character. They try and hedge their bets by selecting an “Earth 2” character rather than a “main universe” / Justice League contender. Ok, that’s pretty smart. They get to make their statement without “risking” an iconic character that is a hopeful for the media-money-maker stable. Yet they pick the one Earth 2 character that shares the same name as one of their push-to-iconic-status-characters! Not only that, the one character that has been successfully making some in-roads into the wider pop culture.

So what happens? When the character was revealed this morning, every media outlet I saw showed a picture of....., you guessed it, Hal Jordan. Whether it was a comic book representation or Ryan Reynolds in the GL suit, it wasn’t Alan Scott. Most of the articles didn’t even bother to point out that it’s a different character, in a different universe, and not associated with the Green Lantern Corps. By mid-day, a few websites had changed the art or bothered to make the distinction, but not many.

If your goal is to increase brand-awareness to make a character franchise-level popular, why would you execute this so poorly? If your corporate “problem” is that you need to make more iconic characters to achieve franchise-levels of popularity, and more characters aren’t at a franchise-level because they’re not as well known, how in the hell do overlook the fact that the media and non-comic-reading population doesn’t know or care about the distinction between “main Earth” & “Earth 2” or GL Corps vs. just “Green Lantern”?

Sadly, the fact that this change/statement/stunt has to be made shows that it’s a divisive issue to some. Sadly, there will very likely be some negative repercussions to the brand or the character. But it’s an act of sheer corporate stupidity that someone didn’t think this through enough to say, “Hey, maybe we should pick a character that can’t be associated (correctly or incorrectly) as strongly with a character/brand we’re trying to elevate to franchise-level,” or “let the character stand on their own to see how popular this decision might be." I mean, it’s not like super team rosters don’t change… If they wanted to highlight a gay character, there are a ton of other ways they could have gone about it (which is why I feel this was a publicity stunt first-and-foremost).

As a fan of Hal Jordan & the rest of the GL Corps, I really hope I’m wrong about that franchise taking a hit from this. I never really followed the JSA, Alan Scott, or the other Earth 2 heroes so I don’t have the emotional attachment to the character that other might but generally speaking (if I was, though, I'd be annoyed), I’m not a fan of retcons. However, I can appreciate them when they’re done well. (And for those keeping score at home, I'd also be annoyed if an established gay character suddenly "went straight".)

Despite some interesting stuff (like Aquaman), I think the execution of the New 52 reboot has been poor. But this? This is just epic-level-of-incompetence stupid.

If someone forced me to choose, I’d have to pick the DC characters over the Marvel ones, but it’s a very close call. I WANT more franchise-level characters in the DC stable. I want to see Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, and the Justice League on the big screen. But the next time I hear someone at DC or WB whining about a lack of franchise-level characters, the immediate reaction is going to be “it’s your fault”.

And if the rumormill is true about the inevitable Batman-films-reboot and “start with Justice League” rather than taking an approach like Marvel did leading up to Avengers, I’m guessing we’ll have a DC Stupidity, Take 2 post a few years from now...

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
You are completely missing the entire point of what is happening between MArvel and DC. It's all about one upping each other and sales.

See, back on January, Archie comics had their first gay wedding which was between two secondary (or maybe tertiary) characters. That comic sold out their entire first printing run of 3,000 issues despite the minor amount of controversy surrounding it.

In marvel land, Majorie Liu was busy working creating her run of Astonishing X-Men. During the build up to her first issue (that was released in March) it was leaked that her run would feature a surprise that will change the lives of several characters. This would happen during issue #50. When the issue #48 was finally released everyone who was paying attention to the series knew who was getting married: Northstar and Kyle (aka his BF which pretty much was a source of countless exploitation plotlines). However the timing seemed off since if #50 was a marriage then why would it happen in the middle of a storyline? The first two issues of Majorie Liu's run sold a consistent 30,000 - 32,000 issue.

So.. what did Marvel decide to do? They announce to the world via the View that Northstar and Kyle were going to get married and plastered the forced proposal image the day before issue #50 was sold in hopes they can get a sales bump. That was two weeks ago. This week Marvel announced that preorders of issue #51 have "sold out" meaning that Marvel expects that maybe 45,000 - 50,000 issues (I'm guessing based on April's sales number of 32,000 issues) have been orderd due to activist and collector hype. The true number of issues sold wont be known until July.

Sadly, since this is all about Marvel and DC one upping each other in sales, I suspect that July's sales numbers will drop back to between 32,000 and 35,000 since everyone who is jumping onto the issue would realize quickly much of of the issue #51 will be devoted to an mysterious fem fatal who was brainwashing people into killing others (often via massive explosions) because she has a gripe with Northstar, Kyle, or just Wolverine, and not about Gay Marriage.

Unfortunately, all those activists who are cheering Marvel right now might en up being pissed since the solicitations for issues number #52 and #53 seems to suggest that Kyle dies right after the wedding since there is a hint of an "Explosive aftermath" and "Northstar accepting a deadly assignment…what is life like for the one who gets left behind?". Marvel might spin it and say he was killed because Kyle is a back gay man who married to a gay mutant, thus making the resolution be about all sorts of bigotry. However, if Kyle does die, I won't be shocked since Marvel tends to use Kyle in the most exploitative ways imaginable (he once got beaten up for being at a gay mutant rights rally).

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just gotta say...the place I happened to view this particular news got it right, showing Alan Scott, not Hal Jordan.

Amusingly, though, many of those commenting on the story apparently didn't read the words "Alan Scott", and went on and on about how John Stewart would have been their choice out of the entire GL Corp to rewrite as gay...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
DC decides they want to “out” a character. They try and hedge their bets by selecting an “Earth 2” character rather than a “main universe” / Justice League contender. Ok, that’s pretty smart. They get to make their statement without “risking” an iconic character that is a hopeful for the media-money-maker stable. Yet they pick the one Earth 2 character that shares the same name as one of their push-to-iconic-status-characters! Not only that, the one character that has been successfully making some in-roads into the wider pop culture.

Actually, there are a lot of Earth2 supers who are homonymous with Earth1 supers- the Atom, Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Aquaman, The Flash...

And GL is as good a choice as any (except Bats & Supes) for DC to muck about with. I can just hear giggle-inducing jokes about certain names/catchphrases/powers. The Flash is obvious...Manhunter...Capt. Marvel (Shazam!)...Speedy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Note: This is not a commentary about gay characters in comic books. I have zero problem if a character is created & written as a gay character. This is a commentary about retcons, cheap publicity stunts, and corporate stupidity.

Here's the thing: as a general social phenomenon, it behooves the comic authors to get with the program.

So. how many new hit characters are generated by a given comic line each year? How many are predictably generated each year?

It does nobody any good for them to make up a new character, and make them gay, if they have no staying power in the comics. The only way the action has meaning or effect (socially or economically, take your pick) is if the readers think of the character as important. That means they really need to do this with established characters.

And, as for complaining about retcons in comic books - that has been pretty much standard since the 1940s. Expecting continuity without change for 50+ years of publication is simply unreasonable. And, the faster the pace of the publishing business, the more frequent the recons will have to be to keep up. My understanding is that the average span of time a given customer avidly reads comics is 2-4 years. Continuity beyond that horizon is less valuable to the publisher than getting in new readers to replace the old.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And, as for complaining about retcons in comic books - that has been pretty much standard since the 1940s.

Yup- the original Superman did only leap tall buildings. By the 1980s, he was capable of interstellar flight & time travel.

Mercutio01

First Post
My objection is more to the fact that Alan is not a top-tier hero. The "Green Lantern" name is, of course, a major player, but this has the same kind of impact to me as saying a major villain will be gay and then picking Alexander Luthor.

It strikes me as a cop-out. Alan Scott is a second-tier character and since Obsidian was gay, merging that aspect of Scott's son with Scott in the rebooted 52 is hardly a courageous decision, as I've seen bandied about in the media. As I said above, it's just a cheap way to create a token gay character expressly for marketing hype.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can't disagree with you...but Alan Scott is much higher profile than when Marvel made The Rawhide Kid gay back in 2002..

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Umbram, Its not a matter comic book creators "getting the point." They have gotten the point. They got it for years since during the last six or so years Marvel and DC had about 10 gay/bi characters come out or be introduced (Bat Woman being the most prominent).

The problem, I think, is that for the most part Marvel and DC saw that there was no effect on long term sales when they introduced gay/bi characters or made a character come our as part of a storyline or when they call the media ahead of the time to say "Look, we got a new gay character!" or "< Insert Character > came out!" Its gotten to the point that since the comic book industry has fallen on hard times that both companies have to resort to these mass media announcements every few years.

Sure some fans may complain, but in truth, those complaints tend to be short lived if the story is good and if the character's sexuality isn't reduced to a marketing gimmic. But even when the character is reduced to a gimmic the audience eventually saids "meh" and keeps reading until the stories start to suck, the art takes a dive, or until the price increases beyond the book's worth.

-Posted via mobile device.

Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Yup- the original Superman did only leap tall buildings. By the 1980s, he was capable of interstellar flight & time travel.
The 80s? Heck, he's been doing that since the 50s. At least. (And only a busting shell could penetrate his skin, no X-Ray or Heat vision, etc. for the original.)

Remove ads