• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Corporate Stupidity: Exhibit A - DC Comics

Mallus

Legend
The latter makes him into a one-trick pony and is a singular reduction of an otherwise complex being.

A look at The Midnighter and Apollo from the Authority would go a ways to proving that homosexual comic book characters can exist apart from their identity as "gay" and that a mature look at the characters without the cynical hype can do more to mainstream the movement.
I don't know... as much as I like the Ellis/Millar Authority, the whole raison d'être for Apollo and Midnighter is no than "what if Superman and Batman were middle-aged lovers (who adopt! -- sorta) and the raison d'être for the series is "Left-of-center fascist superheroes -- or eff you, Frank Miller!". It's great stuff, but a festival of nuanced characterization --or anything, really-- it is not.

Also, consider that the gay Allen Scott isn't being written jointly by a pack of suit-wearing corporate vampire-squids jamming their feeding tubes down the throats (thanks, Matt Taibbi!) of the comic-reading public.

It's being written by James Robinson. A talented writer. Who should eternally be given the benefit of the doubt for his wonderful work on Starman.

Mercutio01

First Post
I don't know... as much as I like the Ellis/Millar Authority, the whole raison d'être for Apollo and Midnighter is no than "what if Superman and Batman were middle-aged lovers (who adopt! -- sorta) and the raison d'être for the series is "Left-of-center fascist superheroes -- or eff you, Frank Miller!". It's great stuff, but a festival of nuanced characterization --or anything, really-- it is not.
I suppose. But I picked up and read Authority before I had an inkling that the characters were gay, and it wasn't really the selling point of the book or the marketing strategy of a whole company.

IIt's being written by James Robinson. A talented writer. Who should eternally be given the benefit of the doubt for his wonderful work on Starman.
Never read that book. That was around the time that I gave up comics (except for a few Vertigo titles--Sandman and Preacher, and later Hellblazer). When I got back into comics around 2002 or so, I pretty much stayed with DC's Vertigo, Marvel's Max, and Dark Horse (and a few WS titles like Authority). It wasn't until Blackest Night and Brightest Day that I started reading mainstream DC again.

Mallus

Legend
But I picked up and read Authority before I had an inkling that the characters were gay, and it wasn't really the selling point of the book or the marketing strategy of a whole company.
Yeah, the selling point was "proactive, ass-kicking, left-wing superhero team, the Air America version of the Justice League/Avengers". With lots of widescreen violence.

Never read that book.
Give it a try, it's great. But the point I was making in the new Green Lantern is being written by a talented, well-regarded author, not a bunch of suits.

Remove ads