• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Corpses on the battlefield = difficult terrain?

Draloric

First Post
Do you keep track of fallen enemies on the battlefield map?

If so, why? If not, why not?

Normally, we just make the bodies vanish off the map -- it would get too cluttered. But in my online game we have a digital map and it is very easy to keep track of anything on the board with different layers and masks. So, we were thinking of keeping bodies on the map and making them difficult terrain.

Thoughts?
In our campaigns we mark where bodies have fallen with a penny (a copper to pay the Ferryman, if you will). Seems to work well enough, at least for medium-sized creatures, and doesn't leave the battlemat littered with toppled miniatures. As for Larger fallen creatures, sometimes they are considered something more than just difficult terrain, requiring climbing over (skill checks), for example.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
I do that. Even went so far as to make some little skull and crossbones tokens to indicate them. Its fun....specially if there's lots of minions.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
I often do not bother, but sometimes, especially with large and huge creatures, we mark where they fell with little Xs. I don't do it always because the clutter can be tiresome, but sometimes the change is fun.

Mummolus

First Post
I actually really like this idea - I think I'll start doing it in areas where there's not a lot of room to move around. Prevents some of the rampant shifting as well.

bluesfella

Explorer
We use a lot of paper minis in my campaign (especially for hordes of zombies), so I will just remove the mini from its base and lay it down. It looks really cool, actually...all of those dead zombies scattered across the battlefield...

Chronosome

First Post
We use a lot of paper minis in my campaign (especially for hordes of zombies), so I will just remove the mini from its base and lay it down. It looks really cool, actually...all of those dead zombies scattered across the battlefield...
That's a cool idea. I bought a bunch of paper minis once and we don't regularly use them -- now they could actually have purpose as steam-rolled representatives of their own slaughter. Danke. :)

Remove ads