• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cosmic Sorcerer Bloodline

chando

Explorer
Does the concentration on the phase prevents cpncentrarion on spells? If so, using the class featurea actually make you less versatile than the sorcerer already is with ots limited spells know.
Also, having to spend a action to enter a phase seems a bit much. Compare it to barbarian rage granting resistance and vpnus damage pretty much onntha same way, it only requires a bonus action to enter, and while it does have a 'restriction' on to keep the effect going, it also doesn't end on beeing hit... i say make it a bonus action.

Otherwise really cool idea, keep imagening an astrologist "predicting" peoples deaths before killing them with fire/cold/force damage :)

eMalc

First Post
Absolutely love this idea too. It does seem slightly weak at current though. My own suggestions:
For the phases, I would remove the need for concentration and allow the sorcerer to change between them using a bonus action or reaction. Also Phase of the Sun feels a bit weak compared to the other two. Maybe make it add 1dx fire/radiant damage to all attacks/spells? (Since Sorcs are generally blasters this would help them push that role further)
Cosmic Unity is really nice but as the top ability for this sub-class I feel like it could do more. Perhaps something like: In addition to switching phase at will, the benefits gained from each phase are now considered passive without a time limit. Could make it too powerful.

I can't speak to balance, but I can honestly say that this quick read has left me far more interested in the cosmic sorcerer than Arcane Power ever did. Props, [MENTION=7635]Remathilis[/MENTION].

Remathilis

Legend
Does the concentration on the phase prevents cpncentrarion on spells? If so, using the class featurea actually make you less versatile than the sorcerer already is with ots limited spells know.
Also, having to spend a action to enter a phase seems a bit much. Compare it to barbarian rage granting resistance and vpnus damage pretty much onntha same way, it only requires a bonus action to enter, and while it does have a 'restriction' on to keep the effect going, it also doesn't end on beeing hit... i say make it a bonus action.

Otherwise really cool idea, keep imagening an astrologist "predicting" peoples deaths before killing them with fire/cold/force damage :)

I used Concentration as a limiting mechanic. Phase of the Sun does automatic fire or radiant damage to anyone in melee (no save!) up to 10 per round at 20th level (equal to a balor). Phase of the Moon is equal to blur (a 2nd level spell) and Phase of the Stars is a reactionary Misty Step at Will. I needed some balance factor (not to mention the extra Cha to damage and resistance later on) so I figured giving up your concentration spell was worth it.

That said, I agree entering a phase should be a bonus action and will change it next draft.

Absolutely love this idea too. It does seem slightly weak at current though. My own suggestions:
For the phases, I would remove the need for concentration and allow the sorcerer to change between them using a bonus action or reaction. Also Phase of the Sun feels a bit weak compared to the other two. Maybe make it add 1dx fire/radiant damage to all attacks/spells? (Since Sorcs are generally blasters this would help them push that role further)
Cosmic Unity is really nice but as the top ability for this sub-class I feel like it could do more. Perhaps something like: In addition to switching phase at will, the benefits gained from each phase are now considered passive without a time limit. Could make it too powerful.

All three Phases were supposed to be defensive; Sun punishes those who get close, moon decreases chance to get hit, stars provided a get-the-heck-out-of-there wild card. Gaining Cha to damage (especially for spells like scorching ray, magic missile, or ice knife) is really good already.

As said above, the only way to resist Phase of the Sun's damage is to be resistant/immune to it or be more than 5 feet away. I didn't want to make it too good, but I wanted it to grow with the sorcerer. Extra points if you set it radiant and then get into melee with an undead. Really good for a sorcerer who wants to go melee.

Remove ads