D&D 5E Cost/Benefit Analysis of True Strike

Staffan

Legend
I think that there are too many restrictions on True Strike. At the base level, giving up an action in order to get advantage on an attack isn't a broken concept - it's basically like using the Help action on yourself. But every time you start thinking of an occasion where that in itself would be good, it runs into one of the restrictions on the spell. Like:

"It's awesome with witch bolt!" - no, sorry, concentration.
"If I'm a sorcerer I can Quicken it and use it with a powerful spell." - no, sorry, it explicitly says your next turn.
"It'd be great for an Eldritch Knight" - well, it has somatic components so no shield or two-handed weapon for you.
"I can use it to negate range disadvantage" - not unless your weapon has a base range of less than 30 feet, you can't, because you cast it at a specific target within 30 feet.

This would be a better version of True Strike, and I don't think it would be broken:

True Strike
Divination cantrip

Casting time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: Until discharged, up to 1 round.

You gain advantage on the next attack roll you make as long as you make it before the end of your next turn.

houser2112

Explorer
"If I'm a sorcerer I can Quicken it and use it with a powerful spell." - no, sorry, it explicitly says your next turn.
Minor nitpick: the other spell is the one that would need to be quickened, because of the general (and just as stupid, IMHO) spellcasting restriction that when casting a spell with a bonus action, the only other spell you can cast is a cantrip that turn. TS would be the cantrip, and you'd quicken the payload spell.

"I can use it to negate range disadvantage" - not unless your weapon has a base range of less than 30 feet, you can't, because you cast it at a specific target within 30 feet.

Ouch, really? I had overlooked that. There go most of my ideas for using it. Now the only one left is the Netmaster who uses True Strike to capture people and animals with nets.

Remove ads