• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cost for magic items that grant feats

Caspian

First Post
I'm trying to redo the equipment of my 15th lvl party after having the group almost get trounced by two horned devils. Currently I'm stuck on how much does a feat cost on an item. Would it count as an extra +1 or as a flat cost?

Currently on the block is a +1 rapier of defense, which grants the user the combat expertise feat. Assuming it costs slightly more than a +1 enchantment bonus, I assumed the cost to be around 9000 something GP? Would that be right?

Jonathan

hong

WotC's bitch
You have to do feats on a case-by-case basis. Some feats are wimpy (Toughness, Run, Endurance), while some are great (Spring Attack, Greater Weapon Spec). A lot of DMs forbid items granting feats at all, except in specific circumstances.

You can compare your item to a +5 defending rapier, which has a fairly similar effect and costs 72,000 gp. If you don't want the item to go all the way to +5, make it a +2 or +3 defending rapier instead.

Last edited:

Sanackranib

First Post
there is precident for items granting quasi feats - look at the ioun stones. there is one I believe that grants 2d4 hit points. at least there was in 2e. this is comporable to toughness IMC which grants a flat +1 hit point/level rather then the wimpy +3 total.

kreynolds

First Post
The AaEG has a sidebar covering magic items that grant feats. If the feat is pure mechanical, like Great Fortitude, use the pricing guidelines in the DMG. For other feats, the general guideline is 10,000gp, plus an additional 5,000gp to 10,000gp per prerequisite.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Mystic Eye Games' Artificer's Handbook has rules that cover this. As a general rule, and a personal rule, I wouldn't allow it. It gets a little messy. The rules for it are also a bit messy, but that's because it's not as simply as just assigning a flat cost.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads