• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cost of Pieces of Armor, per Piece

Dremmen

First Post
In my house rules I go into the detail on how to equip oneself with the different pieces of armor - greaves, pauldrons, helmet, etc, and how they are all treated different. It is even possible to have them of different materials. But now I am working on an equipment table to handle this and I'm pondering the best way to do it. I had thought to simply assume a weight of 1lb for a singular piece of armor other than the breast plate. Then I was going to go by the Bazaar metal costs and use the appropriate modifier. That would mean that everything starts with a base cost of 1sp. For a steel greave it would be 1 sp x 7 modifier for that metal, = 7sp.

Now I find that cheap. Also that really is just the materials - what should the modifier be for the workmanship? And that then begs the question of how about masterwork pieces?

What's everyone's suggestions? I could make it a base cost of 1gp. That would make the cost of the above greave 7gp which I find more reasonable. But still there is nothing there for the work, it is all materials. Maybe 50% mark up for workmanship? So 10gp for the greave?

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Pyrex

First Post
It might make more sense to start from the top-down.

A suit of Full Plate is 1,500gp and weighs 50lbs.

Figure out how many 'pieces' that is and work downward.

Also, you should note that not all armors have the same number of 'pieces'.

A Chain Shirt is one piece. A full suit of Chainmail is likely three pieces (a Chain Shirt, plus pants and a chain 'helmet').

Dremmen

First Post
Pyrex said:
It might make more sense to start from the top-down.

A suit of Full Plate is 1,500gp and weighs 50lbs.

Figure out how many 'pieces' that is and work downward.

Also, you should note that not all armors have the same number of 'pieces'.

A Chain Shirt is one piece. A full suit of Chainmail is likely three pieces (a Chain Shirt, plus pants and a chain 'helmet').

Good point..maybe I should just do it by weight instead of by piece.

Destil

Explorer
The main thing is half plate and full plate takes a lot of work to size to fit the wearer, and are useless otherwise. Note that weight / cost ratio on scale (45 lbs, 200 gp), compared to full plate (50 lbs 1500 gp). With those two armors that's where a lot of the cost will need to comes in.

Felnar

First Post
Dremmen said:
What's everyone's suggestions? I could make it a base cost of 1gp. That would make the cost of the above greave 7gp which I find more reasonable. But still there is nothing there for the work, it is all materials. Maybe 50% mark up for workmanship? So 10gp for the greave?
dont forget the 50% markup called "profit"

2nd edition PO:C&T had rules for splitting the weight into 5 pieces.
chestpiece was half the total weight, and the two arms weighed slightly less than the two legs
maybe you can find the table somewhere online

Remove ads