• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cost of Shatterspike

phillipjp

First Post
Shatterspike (the sword from Sunless Citadel) has a market value of 4315gp, according to the back of the module. How exactly is that calculated? If the "sundering" ability was an additional +1 bonus, then the value would be 8315gp (+1 sword and +1 bonus squared times 2000gp).

So is it:
* Errata, should be 8315gp
* "Sunder" ability is +2000gp, so 2315gp for the +1 sword +2000gp
* "Sunder" ability is bonus*2, so 2000gp for the +1, x2 = 4000 +315 for the MW sword

Basically we have a character with this sword in the group who would like to add new abilities to it. DMG p246. So, is the cost of upgrading to a +3 Shatterspike:

* (+1 bonus) 32315gp - 8315gp = 24000gp
* (+2000gp) 20315gp - 4315gp = 16000gp
* (x2) 36315gp - 4315gp = 32000gp

BeauNiddle

First Post
I'd say its a straight 2000gp - the sword requires the wielder to have a feat and the bonus it gives isn't that amazing (compared to Sure Strike from S&F for example and even thats quite weak).

That said I'd probably leave it at only ShatterSpike in the world and not make it a generally addable ability just because, occasionally, their should be special weapons.

chilibean

First Post
I'll take a stab a answering this, even though I'm no expert on magic item creation rules.

If you assume that the sword is using the shatter spell as the source of it's power then:

In Tome & Blood, it lists a use activated uncharged spell as costing:
spell level x caster level x 2000gp

Which would make it 2 x 2 x 2000gp = 8000gp.

But it has the restriction of: the ability is only usable when the weilder has the sunder feat and is actually trying to sunder.

So perhaps they felt this restriction is worth a x .25 price modifier?

Just a wild guess...

chilibean

First Post
After thinking about this for a bit, I've changed my mind. I'd errata the item to a higher cost.

The reason I would do that is because it allows you to avoid the attack of opportunity that a sunder attempt normally provokes. To me, that AOO is only in there for game balance reasons, but I think it is a necessary game balance item and shouldn't be so lightly and easily overcome as this items low price suggests.

The precedent this items price sets for other items is rather unbalancing IMHO. Imagine a pair of "gloves of grappling" that allows to to get +4 on grapple checks AND bypass the AOO that is as cheap as this sword? Or a "rapier of disarming" for +4 to disarm with no AOO? These weapons seem OK to me, but not for only 2000gp extra each ability, or even if you double the price for each one after the first.

I would make it price like adding a +1 bonus to the weapon. My only justification for that is game balance. Otherwise it's too cheap and easy to just tack onto every weapon under the sun ...

Remove ads