• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cost of slaves

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
In a society where someone can become a slave through:
a) being a criminal
b) owing debt
c) being a "lower-class" race (i.e. goblin)
d) war prisoner

what would be an appropriate price to buy?

I know there are a lot of variables, so a rough estimate is fine.

In the 3.5 DMG, an untrained hireling is 1 sp a day. Provided here as a rough guide.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Jack Simth

First Post
Well, in the magic item creation guidelines, when something that is useable at-will does a spell with a valuable component, it uses the price of the component for one time *100 for the value of the component used....

Which would mean 10 gp for a "permanent" untrained hireling.... or about what you could get by hiring an unskilled slave out for three or four months....

Skilled slaves, of course, cost much more....

I think the easiest comparison to make is comparing the slave to other "animals". A heavy horse will cost you 200gp, a light one 75gp while a donkey or mule gets a lowly 8gp. Meanwhile a guard dog costs 25gp and a riding dog 150gp. Highly trained mounts are up to 400gp

Consider how useful a slave would be compared to these. An old criminal of limited ability would not rate in terms of good coin (perhaps the 10gp mark) while a spectactularly beautiful and young lady would receive "major" coin in a slave auction as a potential courtesan (1000's of gp). A skillful linguist or writer of letters may be in the upper range (up to 200-400gp).

In the end though, it comes down to what a particular market will pay given particular conditions. This is where the economics of the situation takes over.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
Thanks, those are good guidelines.

I agree that the training and backround of the slave raises the price, but I think 10gp for a common slave is appropriate.

Cheers

As an aside, I don't think comparing slaves to animals is appropriate, price-wise. Labor animals can haul a lot more than slaves, can endure more, can be trained to obey faithfully, don't talk back, don't cause trouble (usually, except for the spitting llamas and stubborn asses), and don't try to escape.
Granted, slaves can do more skilled labor, but typically they are not as "valuable" as animals.
Sure, a slave scholar or harem girl is more expensive, but they are more "unique" slaves.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

domino

First Post
If anyone can become a slave, then there are going to be plenty of very skilled slaves.

As such, I'd price them by skill points. Maybe 5 or 10 gp per certain skill points. Things like Craft, or Appraise, or Knowledge would be very useful to have in a slave or servant. Other things, like physical appearance, or strength, or martial skill, also make a difference.

I'd do something like 50-100 gp per point of BAB, + 5-10 gp per skill point (in selected skills, things like climb aren't terribly useful in a slave) + (stat mod ^2) times 10 for their highest or two highest stats (strength, charisma, constitution being popular high sellers).

lgburton

First Post
also, if you have access to the Kingdoms of Kalamar Players Guide, it has a rather large sidebar on slave pricing that seems to be fairly good.

dcollins

Explorer
Lopke_Quasath said:
As an aside, I don't think comparing slaves to animals is appropriate, price-wise. Labor animals can haul a lot more than slaves, can endure more, can be trained to obey faithfully, don't talk back, don't cause trouble (usually, except for the spitting llamas and stubborn asses), and don't try to escape...

I feel kind of wierd about this, but a quick Google research says the price of a slave in 1750 was about $160 (/4.4 = 36 pounds: http://www.eh.net/Clio/Conferences/ASSA/Jan_00/rosenbloom.shtml). Meanwhile, the price of a horse was "as little as 5 pounds" (http://www.history.org/history/teaching/enewsletter/April03/iotm.cfm).

Maybe more research could refine that, but that's a x7 expense ratio in favor of the slave.

EDIT: Fixed links, thanks andargor!

Last edited:

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
Well I stand corrected by mankind's tainted past (and present) (okay, no more politics,sorry)

Thanks for the price fix dcollins. Checked out the link and, like usual in economics, it was all supply and demand.

I think I will still keep the prices on the lower side, since becoming a slave can be relatively easy in my world and they aren't used to harvest valuable crops (for the most part).

Also, I can make the argument in my world that slaves are more common than certain animals (horses, ponies) so are cheaper.

Still, thanks for that info.

Cheers

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
dcollins said:
I feel kind of wierd about this, but a quick Google research says the price of a slave in 1750 was about $160 (/4.4 = 36 pounds: http://www.eh.net/Clio/Conferences/ASSA/Jan_00/rosenbloom.shtml). Meanwhile, the price of a horse was "as little as 5 pounds" (http://www.history.org/history/teaching/enewsletter/April03/iotm.cfm).

Maybe more research could refine that, but that's a x7 expense ratio in favor of the slave.

dcollins, the right bracket got caught in the URLization. I fixed them in my quote of your post.

Andargor

wuyanei

First Post
This question piqued my interest, so I did a bit of google search, and came upon a previous post in the usenet (rec.games.frp.dnd)

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/alex/Rules/SlaveCost.txt

I altered the tables a little, based on the data dcollins linked to, with the base cost being 3x yearly wage for a healthy young adult slave, 2x yearly wage for every one else.

I don't know how much this will help, if at all. It has been an interesting, albet somewhat disturbing, bit of research.

Hope it helps!
Yanei Wu

POST HEADER[sblock]Article: 136425 of rec.games.frp.dnd
Path: news.tuwien.ac.at!newsfeed.ACO.net!swidir.switch.ch!swsbe6.switch.ch!news.belnet.be!news.sri.ucl.ac.be!jussieu.fr!math.ohio-state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!lerc.nasa.gov!purdue!haven.umd.edu!hecate.umd.edu!fre.fsu.umd.edu!D2DCBLU
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Cost of a Slave
Date: 8 May 1996 22:48:19 GMT
Organization: Frostburg State University, Frostburg, MD
Lines: 133
Message-ID: <4mr8bj$4s2@hecate.umd.edu>
Reply-To: d2dcblu@fre.fsu.umd.edu
NNTP-Posting-Host: fre.fsu.umd.edu

Hi,

Based on the discussions on slavery, I've come up with a fomula for the
cost of a slave. Any suggestions you have are welcome.

LL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Based on the discussions on slavery, I've come up with a fomula for the
cost of a slave. Any suggestions you have are welcome.

LL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------[/sblock]THE PRICE OF A SLAVE (originally by LL)

Under the old slavery, slaves were a long-term economic investment. In 1850, an average agricultural slave in Alabama sold for $1,000 to $1,800, around $50,000 to $100,000 in today's money. This was over three times the average yearly wage of an American worker at the time. The profit made from a slave varied between 5% and 10%, so the slaveholder had to balance the violence needed to control the slave against the risk of an injury that would reduce profits.

The prices paid for slaves reflected two economic factors: the characteristics of the slave and the conditions of the market. Important individual features included age, sex, childbearing capacity (for females), physical condition, temperament, and skill level. In addition, the supply of slaves, demand for products produced by slaves, and seasonal factors helped determine market conditions and therefore prices.

This formula should give the GM a good basis for the price of the slave. Note that supply and demand should greatly influence the price For example, during harvest time field workers may be hard to buy so prices will be high. Also, if it's the end of a war maybe there is a nice crop of POW slaves that brings the price down.

Also note bidding typically starts out at 50% of the cost calculated with this formula so slaves may be sold for less or more.

GMs may also add more modifiers for things like race. Certain races may be worth more. For example, elf slaves may be valued for their beauty, dwarf slaves may be valued for their hardiness and hard work at manual labor.

One other modifier the GM should consider is slave reliability. Some types of slaves may be harder to control (i.e. cause trouble, try to escape). They could be of a certain race, nation, adventurers, etc.. Children raised as slaves would likely be worth more because they are easier to control compared to those needing "domestication."

Slave Cost =

2 x (Yearly Wage of Non-slave Labor) x (Hit Die Multiplier) x

(Key Attribute Multiplier) x (Secondary Attribute Multiplier) x (Tertiary Attribute Multiplier)

(Sex Multiplier) x (Age Category Multiplier) x (Social/Racial Level Multiplier) x

(Any other Special Multipliers)

This may seem complicated, but really is not, since for most NPCs most multipliers are just 1. Basically, for a young adult male slave, his price is three times the yearly wage he would have earned as a free laborer. For other age, sex, or races, the price goes up or down. Anyways, just type the whole thing into an excel sheet, and the calculations can be done in an instant.

Yearly Wage of Non-Slave Labor

The base to the formula is this wage. Find the wage a non-slave laborer (of the same occupation/skill of the slave) makes in a year. Most game systems have common wages in their rule books. As a general rule a common laborer makes roughly 360 silver pieces a year (equal to $5400 American). The more skilled a person, the more he makes a year. Some examples:

Another way of determining yearly wage for skilled labor (any Craft skill, Profession skill, Heal, Handle Animal etc.) is by the formula below.

The 'skill bonus' includes bonuses due to skill ranks and any skill-related feats, but does not include the effect of ability modifiers. Abilitiy modifiers are already accounted for in via the Attribute Multiplier terms.

For mercenary warriors, trained guardmen etc., use the tota attack bonus plus +2 per combat- or guarding- related feat instead.

You must have at least +5 total skill bonus or higher (ability modifier included) to count as a skilled laborer. (ie. you must be able to take 10 and succeed on a DC 15 skill check.)

In all cases, the price is determined by how the buyer will use the slave (or rather, how the seller anticipates that the buyer will use the slave).

(skill bonus + 10) x 0.5 gp per week x 52 weeks ~ (skill bonus + 10) x 25 gp per year
Code:
Laborer                Per Day  Per Year (gp)
Baker, Cook              1 sp     36 gp (total Prf: Cook check bonus is +4 or lower)
House Servant/Maid       1 sp     36 gp
Porter/Farm-hand         1 sp     36 gp
Shield Bearer            1 sp     36 gp
Groom                   15 cp     54 gp (total H Ani check bonus is +4 or lower)
Mercenary (warrior)      2 sp     72 gp (total Attack bonus is +4 or lower)
Valet/lackey             2 sp     72 gp
Scribe                   3 sp    108 gp
Clerk                    4 sp    144 gp
Entertainer/Performer    4 sp    144 gp (total Perform check bonus is +4 or lower)
Courtesan                1 gp    360 gp

Animal Trainer, skilled          275 gp (Handle Animal skill =  1 + Cha Modifier)
Animal Trainer, journeyman       375 gp (Handle Animal skill =  5 + Cha Modifier)
Animal Trainer, master           500 gp (Handle Animal skill = 10 + Cha Modifier)

Hairdresser, skilled             275 gp (Profession skill =  1 + Wis Modifier)
Hairdresser, journeyman          375 gp (Profession skill =  5 + Wis Modifier)
Hairdresser, master              500 gp (Profession skill = 10 + Wis Modifier)

Armorer, skilled                 275 gp (Craft skill =  1 + Int Modifier)
Armorer, journeyman              375 gp (Craft skill =  5 + Int Modifier)
Armorer, master                  500 gp (Craft skill = 10 + Int Modifier)

Huntsman, skilled                275 gp (Survival skill =  1 + Wis Modifier)
Huntsman, journeyman             375 gp (Survival skill =  5 + Wis Modifier)
Huntsman, master                 500 gp (Survival skill = 10 + Wis Modifier)

Sage, learned                    275 gp (Knowledge skill =  1 + Int Modifier)
Sage, expert                     375 gp (Knowledge skill =  5 + Int Modifier)
Sage, master                     500 gp (Knowledge skill = 10 + Int Modifier)

Healer, skilled                  275 gp (Heal skill =  1 + Wis Modifier)
Healer, journeyman               375 gp (Heal skill =  5 + Wis Modifier)
Healer, master                   500 gp (Heal skill = 10 + Wis Modifier)

Marksman, skilled                275 gp (BAB +1, -- must have total attack bonus +5 or higher --)
Marksman, journeyman             375 gp (BAB +1, plus Point-blank Shot, Far Shot)
Marksman, master                 500 gp (BAB +2, plus Point-blank Shot, Precise Shot, Far Shot, Rapid Shot)

Spellcaster                      10 gp x 360 x (total number of spell-levels available per day)
                                 For example, a 1st level adept may cast three 0th level spells
                                 and one 1st level spell per day, so her per-year wage equivalent
                                 would be 10 gp x (.5 x3 + 1 x1) x 360 = 9000 gp
Hit Die Multiplier

This is a modifier based on the level of the slave if the slave is of a particular character class. Of course most slaves are not in which case this is the hit die of the character or monster. Note that normal slaves have a hit die of 1 or less. This multiplier reflectsthe rarity of character-class or exotic monster slaves. You are not going to find any titans on sale.

The multipliers are the (HD+1)th Fibonacci number.
Code:
H D  Multi.   H D    Multi.
~ 1      1         11      144
  1      1         12      233
  2      2         13      377
  3      3         14      610
  4      5         15      987
  5      8         16     1597
  6     13         17     2584
  7     21         18     4181
  8     34         19     6765
  9     55         20    10946
 10     89         21    17711
Key Attribute Multiplier

Key attribute is the character attribute that is most relevant to the abilities of the slave. As a mage's key attribute is Intelligence and a fighter's key attribute is Strength, so to do common people have key attributes. If a skill system is used, they are typically based on a key attribute. Some examples: the key attribute for a gladiator is Strength, for a mistress it is Comeliness, for a field worker it is Constitution, for a sage it is Intelligence, for a Soothsayer it is Wisdom.
Code:
Key Attri. Multi. (Rule 1 + 0.2 x |Stat Mod| x Stat Mod)
     ~  5   0.05 (*)
   6 ~  7   0.20
   8 ~  9   0.80
  10 ~ 11   1.00
  12 ~ 13   1.20
  14 ~ 15   1.80
  16 ~ 17   2.80
  18 ~ 19   4.20
  20 ~ 21   6.00

(*) These slaves are basically worthless unless the
buyer plans to nurse then back to health to re-sell.
Secondary Attribute Multiplier

Secondary attribute is the character attribute that is second most relevant to the abilities of the slave. For most slaves that expect to endure hardship, the secondary attribute is usually Constitution, for other slaves, either Strength, Intelligence or Charisma may be their secondary attribute. Some examples: the secondary attribute for a gladiator is Constitution, for a courtesan it is likely Constitution, for a field worker it is Strength, for a sage it may be Wisdom, for a Soothsayer it is Charisma.
Code:
Sec Attri. Multi. (Rule 1 + 0.1 x |Stat Mod| x Stat Mod)
    ~  3    0.05
  4 ~  5    0.10
  6 ~  7    0.60
  8 ~  9    0.90
 10 ~ 11    1.00
 12 ~ 13    1.10
 14 ~ 15    1.40
 16 ~ 17    1.90
 18 ~ 19    2.60
 20 ~ 21    3.50
Tertiary Attribute Multiplier

Tertiary attribute is the character attribute that is third most relevant to the abilities of the slave. If no ability score fits the discription, the tertiary attribute usually defaults to Constitution then to Charisma. (Healthy and atttractive slaves sell for more.)
Code:
Ter Attri. Multi. (Rule 1 + 0.05 x |Stat Mod| x Stat Mod)
    ~  1    0.10
  2 ~  3    0.20
  4 ~  5    0.55
  6 ~  7    0.80
  8 ~  9    0.95
 10 ~ 11    1.00
 12 ~ 13    1.05
 14 ~ 15    1.20
 16 ~ 17    1.45
 18 ~ 19    1.80
 20 ~ 21    2.35
Sex and Age Multipliers:

The age category multiplier is based on the age of the slave which varies depending on race.
Code:
Multi.    Age Category      Age (for Human)
 .01      Infant Age            ~  4
 .50      Child Age           5 ~ 11
 1.0      Adolescent Age     11 ~ 15
 1.5      Young Adult        16 ~ 23
 2.0      Early Adulthood    23 ~ 28
 1.5      Late Adulthood     28 ~ 35
 1.0      Middle Age         35 ~ 53
 .50 (#)  Old Age            53 ~ 70
 .01 (#)  Venerable Age      70 ~

(#) For slaves with skills based on mental abilities,
     the price multiplier does not go below  1.0.
The sex modifier is based on the sex and age category of the slave. Male slaves have a multiplier of 1 in all age categories. NOTE: If you find this modifier disturbing (I do, and I wrote it -- reducing people to a 'price modifier' just feels so... creepy), I suggest that you just ignore it in play, and price male and female slaves the same in-game. There really isn't any reason to go into such detail.
Code:
Multi.    Age Category      Age (for Human)
   1      Infant Age            ~  4
 1.1      Child Age           5 ~ 11
 1.3 (%)  Adolescent Age     11 ~ 15
 1.5 (%)  Young Adult        16 ~ 23
 1.2 (%)  Early Adulthood    23 ~ 28
 0.9 (!)  Late Adulthood     28 ~ 35
 0.8 (!)  Middle Age         35 ~ 53
 0.8 (!)  Old Age            53 ~ 70
 0.8 (!)  Venerable Age      70 ~

(%) Fertile females command an additional 25% ~ 50% premium.
      (Before you say ICK, this is what REALLY HAPPENED! YUCK!)
(!) This is to model the curve of the slavery price in late 18th
    century America. In D&D there is no difference of strength
     between men and women, so the lower price does not really
     make sense.
So a comely (Cha 16), healthy (Con 13), young adult girl would sell for:
[2.8 x1.1 x1.0 x1.5 x1.5 = 6.93] or about 7 times the price of an unskilled laborer if bought to be a maid. However, if she were bought to be a courtesan, the price would go up another ten fold, since the yearly wage of a courtesan is 10 times that of an unskilled laborer.

Social/Racial Multiplier:

The social level multiplier is based on the social standing of the slave. This represents the 'display' effect that some slaves bring. A slave that has no display value is of Upper Lower Class at most. This also includes the effect of racial factore, such as a goblin in a city that hates goblinoids.
Code:
Multi.     Social/Racial Level
  .25      Non-person/chattel
  .50      Lower Lower Class
  .75      Middle Lower Class
 1.00      Upper Lower Class
 1.50      Lower Middle Class
 2.00      Middle Middle Class
 3.00      Upper Middle Class
 4.00      Lower Upper Class
 6.00      Middle Upper Class
 8.00      Upper Upper Class
Special Multipliers:

Lifespan: Longer-lived races can be 'used' for a longer time, and thus command a higher price.
Code:
Elven     x  6
Dwarven   x  4
Gnome     x  3
Halfling  x  1
Human     x  1
Half-orc  x .9
Orc       x .8
Goblin    x .7
Temperment: Slurly or uncooperative slaves are worth less, pliant and docile slaves are worth more. This can cause an adjustment in the price by up to +/- 20% or more.

Exoticness: Fantastic races or rare creatures will be worth much more to interested buyers. This requires an ad-hoc modifier, and cannot be generally modeled.

Other factors:

Bidding:

Roll 72+8d6 in secret, if any dice comes up as a 1 then roll all eight d6 dice again. Repeat until no dice turn up to be a 1. Add the total result and divide by 100. That is the bid result price of the slave.

The bidding starts at half the base price for an unskilled laborer of the slave's race, sex and age, and then continues until the PCs bid above the bid result. If the PC refuse to go beyond the bid result price, the slave is sold to someone else at the bid result price.

If the bid result price of the slave is lower than its intital bid price, the auctioner will lower the price after he finds that there are 'no takers'. Multiply the intital price of the initial bid by
55+4d20 percent each time, and make a new offer. If the slave is not sold after 1d4+3 such new offers, the slave is deemed unsellable and is led away.

EXAMPLE

Laborer ([3x 36 gp/year; 1st commoner], [Str 11, Con 12, Dex 11], [ male, 27yr, human]) =

[3 x 36 gp x 1] x [1 x 1.1 x 1] x (1 x 1.5 x .75) = 178.2 gp

So a normal laborer who is a young adult from a Middle Lower Class background is worth 178.2 gp.

Adept ([3x 9000 gp/year; 1st adept] [Wis 15, Cha 12, Con 9], [female, 32yr, human) =

[3 x 9,000 x 1] x (1.8 x 1.1 x 0.95) x (.9 x 1.5 x 1.0) = 68562.45

So a middle aged tribal adept captured in war, is worth 68562.45 gp -- her cure minor wounds 3/day ability is invaluable, if she could be 'persuaded' to use it liberally.

Found on the web:[sblock]I guess the value of a slave would depend on supply and demand, and
perhaps be centered around some sort of intrinsic value.

I'd look at the situation as such: decide who, in your game world,
should own slaves. For example, let's say that the average
person with a Comfortable Job (Master Artisan, Master Merchant,
Professional Lawyer, Ship Captain) with an average monthly
income of around $2000. Picking an arbitrary number of %10 as
the amount of disposible income, we could arrive at a figure of
$200 for a slave. We could also pick a number aroun $20 for
monthly upkeep of a slave.

Of course, if you want slaves to be common for people with only
Average Jobs, they'll cost less. And immediately following that
big war, there might be a huge glut in the slave market (perhaps
the PCs are hired to help some of the slaves catch a nasty
disease...or stop someone trying to do this.)

The value of a slave is also an indication of how likely the slave
is to scrimp and save enough to buy freedom, assuming this is
only an economic transaction free of social limitations.[/sblock]

Also found on the web:[sblock]Basically, the price of a slave (in ancient Rome) is two year's pay to a freeman performing
the best-paid job someone with the skills of that slave could get. A free
field worker at the time of Cato recieved between 2/3rd and 5/6th of a
denarius per day. An unskilled, 20 year old male slave cost 500 denarius.
This is almost exactly 2 year's pay for the free field worker. This was
based on an expected return of 6% (25 denarius) pa. and on writing off
the slave in 20 years (another 25 denarius pa.). Cato reckoned the keep of
the slave to be 1/3rd of the wage of a laborer = 128 denarius per year.
(Incidentally, cost of living for a freeman laborer and his wife was 300
denarius per year or 5/6th of a denarius per day). Cato was a parsimonious
man, however, and I guess that the 128 denarius is a lower limit. Other
slave owners may have spent a bit more. Personally I'm going to use 1/3rd
of the wage as a guideline, meaning that more valuable slaves are given
better food and clothing than mere field slaves.

Extending the principle of "two year's pay for a free man in the same job"
to slaves with more valuable skills is a guess, but not an totally unlikely
one, I think. So the cost of a slave with "Hair cutting-12+" would be $1800,
a cook would cost $1440, a scribe would cost $3600, etc. Unfortunately many
of the occupations on the job list in _Imperial Rome_ already assumes that
the job holder is a slave, so the incomes quoted for them are gifts and
gratuities. I'd suggest that you assume that this figure amounts to between
10 and 20% of what a free man would recieve in wages, but I could be off
there (The slave cook seems to earn 33% of what his freeman colleague gets).
Perhaps you can compare with similar jobs in worldbooks about
non-slaveholding societies.

Also, knowlegde of greek improved the value of a slave by some not-mentioned
amount.

An older slave could be worth more because of his better skills and less
because of his lesser life expectancy.

Incidentally, I've no idea how a lesser life expectancy would affect the
price of a slave bought for a hard or dangerous occupation. The purchaser
of a gladiator or a silver mine slave could certainly not expect to write
him off over 20 years!

Luxury slaves could be worth quite a lot. Any unskilled slave costing more
than 625 denarius was taxed as a luxury item (3% instead of 1/10th of a
percent - an anual property tax, I think, but I'm not sure). Some quoted
prices for courtesans ran from 2000 to 6000 denarius and much more
expensive ones were propably possible.

The one thing I couldn't find was information about manumission cost, except
for a statement that 'a good slave could earn his freedom in 7 years'. If we
assume that a good slave saves all his money and that he earns an average of
20% of a free man's wages in gratuities then it would work out at the
purchase price of the slave (but note that this is circular reasoning,
because I estimated the 10-20% on the assumption that manumission cost was
equal to the purchase price). But perhaps manumission cost is equal to the
_current_ value of the slave. That would make just as much sense.

Note also that some favourite slaves were freed for free by their masters
after a long time of faithful service. Perhaps some masters with a sense
of justice would free their slaves after they had gotten back their original
investment... In any case there was a 5% manumission tax that would
have to be paid by the master wether he got any money from the slave or
not.[/sblock]

Remove ads