• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could someone explain to me the Chainmail/Miniatures Handbook issue?

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
heirodule said:
Is there actually any proof that Chainmail wasn't profitable?

My understanding was that it did make money, just not enough money to satisfy WOTCs penny pinching "everythign has to be a massive hit, not a moderate seller" mentality.
How about the three gaming stores near here still sitting on massive piles of unsold Chainmail inventory, all three of whom had to be pressured into ordering the new minis line, and all three of whom said "there's no way in hell I'm gonna order another Chainmail" ?

shadow

First Post
Dogbrain said:
Plastic figures--eh, can live with it.
Prepainted? Utter crap. Worthless. Won't get my money.
COLLECTABLE?!?!?!?!?! Won't get my money even to save my life!

Preach on brother! In spite of the general enthusiasm, I really can't get into the new miniature line. It seems to much of an attempt to cash in on the Mage Knight/Heroclix fad. Moreover, painting minis is one of my hobbies, thus I really don't like pre-painted minis (especially since the factory paint jobs are crap). One of my friends was really excited about the new mini line until he saw the :):):):):)ty paintjobs, and now he's sticking to Reaper.

Kesh

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:
How about the three gaming stores near here still sitting on massive piles of unsold Chainmail inventory, all three of whom had to be pressured into ordering the new minis line, and all three of whom said "there's no way in hell I'm gonna order another Chainmail" ?

:eek:

Tell them to put those Chainmail figures up on eBay. If nothing else, they can clear out their shelf space within a week or so. Some of us love finding minis to help fill our collection!

Oh, and if any of them have that promotional female Gnoll archer figure, I will give my right arm for it. :cool:

Harlock

First Post
I just didn't dig Chainmail all that much. I bought a starter pack and while the quality of the minis was nice enough, I really disliked the pricepoint since it was only a skirmish game, and especially disliked a lot of the molds and the number of pieces they used. Honestly, they could have molded a lot of the minis wholly but chose to break them up, for what I can gather, no apparent reason. Add to that that apparently retailers were made some big promises as to how popular Chainmail was supposed to be and also, from what my LGS owner said, some hefty requirements for inventory (a lot of which he still has, even at over half off MSRP) to get into it. Also, Chainmail failed miserably in that it didn't stick to the original game plan which was to release the skirmish rules and then several months later, release a mass battle systems compatible with D20/D&D. I mean come on, that was a no brainer, but they managed to mess it up.

Not to mention, when Chainmail came out I was just learning to be a father, had a new job and not as much time to paint, much less drill and pin all these friggin' models... Frankly, the D&D Miniatures line with its prepainted plastic minis is right up my alley. It's cheaper, it's much simpler, and my skills with a brush and ink abilities can fix anything that doesn't pass muster. Honestly, that's not too many of the miniatures. Some could stand a little drybrushing to add some depth but they look better than 3 folks in my gaming group can manage. Frankly, I don't get the complaints... Reaper isn't out of business and GW and Rackham minis look prettier every new release (well, I dislike the new Cold Ones and think the Saurus are sort of dumpy). Oh, and I think WotC will improve in quality, as time goes on and the folks in the sweatshops.. er I mean factories get more used to painting them and WotC learns more about molding them.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
My prejudice up front - I like the new Handbook.

One of the problems with Chainmail was they were just a bit too high on the retail price. Some people used them for the skirmish game, but I suggest the main use was as D&D figs. That meant they were competing with Reaper. They were good enough to capture some of that market, but Reaper is tough to beat for quality AND price.

I really think Chainmail could have been more successful - they never seemed to have full support. The folks running the line were constantly hamstrung by poor decisions on up. A miniatures handbook released with the figures certainly would have helped, and I'm sure a dozen other things.

I hope the new game catches on - more people playing miniatures is a good thing. Maybe some of them will become interested in pewter and if not - no real loss to the pewter miniature industry. Afterall, we're not the folks buying them anyway.

Olive

Explorer
shadow said:
Preach on brother! In spite of the general enthusiasm, I really can't get into the new miniature line. It seems to much of an attempt to cash in on the Mage Knight/Heroclix fad. Moreover, painting minis is one of my hobbies, thus I really don't like pre-painted minis (especially since the factory paint jobs are crap). One of my friends was really excited about the new mini line until he saw the :):):):):)ty paintjobs, and now he's sticking to Reaper.

As Merric has said a million times YOU ARE NOT THE PERSON THIS IS AIMED AT IF YOU ARE A MINIS HOBBYIST

Don't like it? Fine, but it's not you they're trying to convince to buy them. It's those of us who don't like painting minis.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Olive said:
As Merric has said a million times YOU ARE NOT THE PERSON THIS IS AIMED AT IF YOU ARE A MINIS HOBBYIST

Don't like it? Fine, but it's not you they're trying to convince to buy them. It's those of us who don't like painting minis.
Even if you do like painting them, can't you just strip off the existing paint job?

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
pogre said:
My prejudice up front - I like the new Handbook.

Me, too. In fact I just ordered it from the good folks at WalMart. As others have said, however, no minis for me. I'm a recovering M:tG addict. Staying away from anything collectible is part of my 12 step program. :)

Storm Raven

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
Even if you do like painting them, can't you just strip off the existing paint job?

Probably not. Plastic miniatures are hard to strip paint off of, since most of the techniques for doing do will destroy the miniature, or at least damage it.

Remove ads