• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could use some Class suggestions for my homebrew

igavskoga

First Post
Hey Folks, here's the skinny-

After considerable prodding by various players of mine, I'm starting to gear up to do some serious work on my homebrew because, dangit, THEY want to play already! :p I haven't been hanging around ENworld very long, but I've been largely impressed by what I've seen so far so I thought I'd get a little feedback from you guys.

I want to put together a list of classes that I've pre-approved and that will be integrated, to one degree or another, into the fluff and flavor of the setting. Anything not on the list, as usual for me, will be mulled on a case by case basis. However, I think its a good idea for them to be able to look at a list up front that they know is already a-ok.

Its a somewhat cinematic, quite gritty, rare magic setting. I'll be using the BCCS/True Sorcery magic system (tweaked) and the Green Ronin Psychic system (tweaked) so what I'm looking for are mostly non-casting classes. I can largely convert and/or otherwise tweak casters and hybrids, that's not a problem, but I'm curious as to what you all think are the good classes out there for a more gritty type campaign. What are you favorites? What didn't work? What sourcebooks did you use? Did class X from one sourcebook work better than its similar counterpart in another? What did you end up converting for a better feel? Also, tho I've never played with the AU/AE classes I keep hearing good things about them, would they fit? Could they be tweaked to fit? Also, I'm not above using "non gritty" classes as the tailored "fighting style" of the more powerful non-PC races/civilizations (Book of 9 Swords will be making an appearance in that regard, for example) so any suggestions along those lines would work also. If more info on rules changes that I have on the To Do List would be helpful in making suggestions, let me know.

I'm not looking for how the classes will specifically mesh in with the details of my setting, that I can do, I just figured a little outside input on gritty classes in general couldn't hurt.

Thanks! :D

jeffh

Adventurer
Well, if you have Iron Heroes, it's designed with many of the same goals you're espousing. Maybe not the gritty - it's meant to be the same power level as D&D - but certainly the low-magic and having distinctive fighting classes.

igavskoga

First Post
Yeah, I've had IH since it came out, been hanging out over on that forum since it came out. While it does have the same kind of rare/dangerous magic that I'm looking for I'm afraid the power level of the classes is just a bit too much. While I'm very likely to steal the Man at Arms (maybe Thief) class, and convert some feat masteries and class abilities into feat chains, pretty much all the classes are a bit too powerful for what I'm looking for.

Thanks tho! :D

Remove ads