• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could Use Some Help On Dwarves

Kisanji Arael

First Post
So I'm doing this thing where I make racial bonuses more important in the long run. I'm completely overhauling almost all of the classes (bumping the ECL up to +1), and I'm almost through with them. But I get stuck on dwarves.

What the hell am I supposed to do to make them more powerful? They're already designed to be one man wrecking crews. But I feel that if I don't increase the power level, it might leave hurt feelings amongst my players (and the other people who are helping me build this world).

smootrk

First Post
Does your campaign have any special considerations...

ie is there machinery? Steam Power items? Dwarves could get bonuses regarding that type of stuff.

does your campaign version of Dwarves have a special racial enemy that you could give additional or special considerations to? For instance, have Red Dragons forced dwarves from their usual homes in the mountains... the dwarves now get immunity to draconic auras.

My Point: multitudes of variables can be put into play depending on your particular campaign structure. Develope the campaign basics first, and the modifiers will likely present themselves without much effort.

Kisanji Arael

First Post
Well, the first thing is that I'm giving scaling racial bonuses based on character level. And yes, there is steam power, but it belongs exclusively to one clan of dwarves, which I've already specced out. Plus, it doesn't help that I left most of my notes at home.

Out of the standard race, this is what I've kept:
• +2 Constitution, –2 Charisma.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
• Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
• Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
• Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons. (this is only here until I redo racial weapons. After this, every race, except maybe humans, will have their own special weapon groups)
• Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
• +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
• +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
• Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass dwarf ’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing

This is what I've scrapped:

• +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
• +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.

---
The bonus versus orcs doesn't make sense for my campaign. They similarly don't really dislike giants, since giants tend to be alright folks, just a mite taller than the folks on average.

I thought about giving them a wisdom bonus. They won't be the only race to have one, regardless, so it wouldn't help too much.

The bonus versus spells I kind of want to change into something like a dwarven defender. Maybe something like this:

Just Plain Ornery: Dwarves are hardy creatures. Whenever a dwarf does not move in a round, he may choose to become "empowered like the stone," and just as stubborn as one too. Magic just doesn't hurt them like normal folk. When in stubborn mode, they gain a +3 to resist spells and spell-like effects. they also take less damage from spells: 1 less for every die of damage. Any movement, even involuntary, ends this effect.

It still seems to be lacking something though.

Spatzimaus

First Post
IMC, when we upgraded most of our races to a LA+1 equivalent, we changed Dwarves a bit to make them more Troll-like, and made them the native inhabitants of the Plane of Earth. They gained a 10' burrow rate, 30' Tremorsense, Fast Healing 1, and their CON bonus increased to +4, but we removed most of the extraneous abilities (the ones you mentioned removing) and only kept a few, like Stonecunning. We also made a few other changes, but those were variations specific to our campaign setting (+2 WIS, -2 INT, Light Sensitivity, and a little cantrip-level cleric magic).

Anyway, my point is, if you're trying to keep the look and feel exactly like the D&D Dwarf, you could increase their CON bonus, give a bonus Feat or two, increase their skill bonuses for Craft and such, etc. But, it might be better to try altering their whole design a bit.

szilard

First Post
Tremorsense is a nice idea. Its range could easily increase with level.

Other possibilities include a bit of DR or natural armor as level rises. Alternately, at higher levels you could give them a bonus feat out of Races of Stone.

-Stuart

Arkhandus

First Post
You could make 'em a bit more Tolkienesque if nothing else, in a simple manner. Add +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, and a further +2 to Constitution (making it +4 Con in total). +2 Intelligence instead of the extra +2 Con may work well too (them being good craftsmen, inventors, architects, etc., thus likely good mathematicians too; also, it would help represent their good memory, being so long-lived yet not as flighty and dismissively fey-like as Elves are).

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Consider changing them to the Giant type rather than the humanoid type. That would change some of their racial characteristics slightly but it would also mean certain spells (charm person, hold person) wouldn't work on them.

Perhaps if you wanted to keep with the classic "dwarves are resistant to magic" theme, you could give Dwarves a limited or watered down Spell Resistance.

Perhaps Spell Resistance equal to the Dwarf's level? (So it would only be really useful against a lower level foe) or 5 + Level (So as to be useful against foes around the dwarf's level, but a higher level foe would have little problem casting spells on a dwarf)

Or they could have a natural Resistance bonus on saves against magic. Perhaps a good one too like +3. Its a Resistance bonus, so it won't stack with cloaks of resistance and the like, but it would be potent early on.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads