• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could use some help writing up an 8th level druid..

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Diirk said:
If your GM is of the opinion that the new wildshape rules suggest that you gain hp for wildshaping into shapes with higher con, then I'd go human... if not, I'd go either human, dwarf or maybe gnome. Avoid anything with an ECL

Go elf if this is the case. +2 dex is worthless, but -2 con doesn't hurt you at all, and you get some nifty bonuses. Also +2 dex and a longbow will help you get through the earlier levels when wildshape isn't so great.

Kal Skid said:
If your DM allows it, Anthropomorphic Bat is a solid Druid choice. The downsides of -4 Str, -2 Cha, and 5 land speed are easily offset by a huge +6 to Wisdom! Not to mention Blindsense 20', 20 Fly speed (average), and since Anthropomorphic Bats are small, the 1 Racial Hit Die becomes a class level.

Very good choice for mid to high level Druids.

Any DM who allows anthropomorphic creatures is just asking for it.

Diirk

First Post
Well if he's starting off at lvl 8, the early levels won't matter and for the racial skill bonuses like spot/listen etc, wouldn't you lose those if you aren't of that race anymore? like in a wildshape?

The alter self spell (which wildshape/polymorph etc are based on) seems to suggest you would:

3.5 SRD said:
You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.

Judging from that even things like sleep immunity would go out the window.

Whereas you never lose skills or feats that you've learned (the human perk).

jgsugden

Legend
After 5th level, you spend most of your time in wildshaped form. As a result, your optimal race would be one that grants abilities while in wildshape.

The only race to lose nothing in wildshaped form is human. You get to keep the feat and the skill points.

As for a build, I enjoy the melee aspects of a druid, so I'd go with the following 4 feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Combat Reflexes and Natural Spell. At 9th, I'd take quicken spell so that you can heal yourself (and your animal companion) while fighting.

OTOH, a summoning druid also works very well. Spell Focus (Conjuration) and Augment Summoning are nice in the hands of a druid, but the Spell Focus is almost useless to a core rules druid. Very few conjurations require saving throws. Still, summoning is a strong aspect of the druid, so spending two feats to get the bonus to your summoned creatures is not a waste.

Epametheus

First Post
So basically, the druid's race is irrelevant as long as the race doesn't penalize con or the mental stats. Interesting. It's a case of "go human or go for style," then.

Stormsinger? Druids are one of the few classes where sticking with the base class instead of going into a prestige class is actually worth it. What's Stormsinger do?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Epametheus said:
So basically, the druid's race is irrelevant as long as the race doesn't penalize con or the mental stats. Interesting. It's a case of "go human or go for style," then.

Stormsinger? Druids are one of the few classes where sticking with the base class instead of going into a prestige class is actually worth it. What's Stormsinger do?
Obviously you've never encountered Scarred Lands druids. ;) Stormsingers are a group that follow Lethene, the Dame of Storms. Her followers enjoy using the storms and emulating her wrath. They are very focused on "singing" up storms and causing mass damage. They aren't necessarily evil, just very chaotic much like their patron. (Actually there is no alignment requirements other than being able to cast call lighting.) You do need some perform ranks to gain access to the class, but the powers are more than decent, such as being able to "sing" up chain lighting or call storms as a spell-like ability. So if you want to know more let me know. (There are other pr-classes for druids you might consider if you want insight into Scarred Lands Pr-classes.)

jgsugden

Legend
Epametheus said:
That might be simplifying things a little too much.

The answer as to which racial abilities are lost when in wildshaped form is really up to the DM. The polymorph rules have many gaps in them that a DM must fill in for themself. Check with your DM before making any assumptions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads