• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could WotC Put the Genie Back in the Bottle?

The Traveler

First Post
A lot of worry in the air lately, but two problems are foremost in my mind.

One, could Hasbro actually yank the OGL, or is it too late to withdraw it?

If Hasbro can't yank the OGL, is it possible they could revise it to the point that all present d20 products are in violation of it?

JohnNephew

First Post
1. There's no indication that WotC intends to back out of the OGL at all.

2. If they did, they could not take back what has already been released under the OGL.

3. If they did decide to be a pain, a lot of publishers would have a serious case to make -- i.e., private and public assurances from WotC managers that the SRD *would* be finalized led publishers, relying on those promises, to invest in various books.

4. If they decided to cancel or sharply restrict the D20 trademark license, publishers would be able to continue to sell existing materials at least for a time. During that time, all the publishers would come up with some kind of logo or something that communicates "Imagine this were a D20 System Logo."

It's WAY premature for anyone to be worried. When I walked out of the room at the GAMA Trade Show in 2000, where Ryan Dancey had just presented the Open Game License concept, I commented that this was the way that D&D could be run as a profitable business with about 4 employees -- once you have the essential books out there, just reprint them (with occasional revisions, probably by freelancers), let third parties publish the low-margin support products, and let the money roll in. I don't think we're quite at that point, but the reality is that with fewer employees WotC/Hasbro has *more* reason to want to see the Open Gaming scene vibrant and healthy -- because it keeps the gravy flowing for the high-margin core products.

That's how it looks to me, anyhow.

Lizard

Explorer
Material released under the OGL is forever open. They could not release more of the SRD, but they can't pull back what's already out. (And, since they've announced plans to release D20 Modern to the SRD, it seems VERY unlikely they'll pull back. Some recent comments by Anthony indicate they plan to expand what is going into the SRd, in fact)

They might be able to change the STL. There is, indeed, a revised STL due out any day, but one of the terms of that revision is that all works in print at the point of release remain 'good' -- only new products, or second printings, must be changed to comply. This is a good 'show of faith' on the part of WOTC.

I am not a laywer, but I think *radically* changing the STL so as to basically render it useless and force companies which released under it to recall stock might well be a form of breach of contract. Or it might not -- I don't know. I strongly doubt that any major changes to the OGL will occur; all evidence is that it is helping, rather than hindering, D&D sales. (As was the plan all along, which no one ever denied.)

The Traveler

First Post
I'm mainly asking this because the recent changes seem Hasbro-instigated rather than WotC-instigated. I certainly can see where Hasbro, as WotC's parent company, could see the OGL and the STL as liabilities.

I'm also asking because this will be the test of the OGL and the STL as lasting documents. If they truly are as irreversible as everyone says, then D&D could well outlive its "official" print life.

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
The Traveler said:
A lot of worry in the air lately, but two problems are foremost in my mind.

One, could Hasbro actually yank the OGL, or is it too late to withdraw it?

If Hasbro can't yank the OGL, is it possible they could revise it to the point that all present d20 products are in violation of it?

Not sure if they can yank it. But, both the d20 license and the OGL have a provision allowing WOTC to change the license and that you must eventually comply with the new license.

Also, since the SRD still has many important sections still in draft form, WOTC could simply decide not to ever release them; or they could drastically change them before officially releasing them.

I don't think they will, but they can.

Ulrick

First Post
Here's my viewpoint after studying some basic business law--I'm a business major in entrepreneurship and I own my own business.

The OGL could be taken away. However, it wouldn't be in Hasbro/WotC best interests to do that. Reason: many lawsuits would probably arise. If I owned a d20 company and the OGL got pulled, I'd be trying to band together with the other d20 companies for a huge lawsuit.

If they want to sell rights of the OGL to another company if WotC goes under...fine. No problem.

But let's hope it doesn't have to come to that.

Ulrick

Impeesa

Explorer
I could swear I saw somewhere that in the case of revisions to the OGL/STL, publishers would have the option of using the earlier version at their preference.

--Impeesa--

Staffan

Legend
Re: Re: Could WotC Put the Genie Back in the Bottle?

smetzger said:

Not sure if they can yank it. But, both the d20 license and the OGL have a provision allowing WOTC to change the license and that you must eventually comply with the new license.
For the d20 license, yes. Not for the OGL though:
"9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License."

Florin

First Post
The OGL cannnot be revoked. Anything released under it stays open, forever.

Also, even if Wizards put out an OGL 2.0, no one would be required to use it for older material. If they put all the new material under an OGL 2.0, then you would have to use the new license to use the new material, but all the older stuff under the old license would still be usuable under the old lisence.

Wolfspider

Explorer
I commented that this was the way that D&D could be run as a profitable business with about 4 employees

Well, it looks like Hasbro has taken this idea to heart with the latest lay-offs.... :(

Last edited:

Remove ads