• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Counter Collection Digital and printing?

SSquirrel

Explorer
VTTs are a good thing, but we lack a laptop and/or projector and our computers aren't conducive to everyone crowding around to see maps ;) Very god idea tho if we had the setup for it

catsclaw227

First Post
Klaus said:
I print mine from Corel Draw, but I've heard of people using Word easily enough. I then put double-face tape on the back, and glue the full counter page to a thicker cardboard. After that it's scissors time.
I have a CorelDraw script that I use to auto center over a black bordered circle and SmartClip the image. It makes it into a round black bordered token that I glue to wooden discs. I have scripts that do small, medium, Large, Huge.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
I print mine out in Microsoft Word. Nice and simple. Easy to copy and paste multiple pictures. Easy to resize the counters to whatever size you need.

I print them out on normal paper but then I laminate them. This makes them nice and stiff as well as durable. Plus if anyone spills a drink they are still ok. I've got counters I've used several times now without any wear and tear.

Olaf the Stout

This is exactly what I do. Works wonderfully.

Staffan

Legend
Piratecat said:
Super easy. Do you have MS Office? I use Powerpoint, myself, inserting them and just lining them up.
This.

Or almost, anyway. The process I use in PP goes something like this:
1. New document. Resize it to A4 (because for some reason PP defaults to on-screen slideshow, and I haven't been able to change that default).
2. Insert a square in the document.
3. Resize the square to 25 x 25 mm (for a Medium critter) and change the border to 3 pt or something like that.
4. Change the square's fill style to "image" and select the right one - usually from CCD, but sometimes I use pictures from other sources I have prepared ahead of time in IrfanView (by proper cropping).
5 (optional). Add a number to the square, and fiddle with it so it's in a reasonable size (14-ish points) and in one of the square's corners.
6. Copy-paste the square as many times as needed and repeat relevant parts of the process. It takes less work to copy-paste a square and then change the picture than it takes to make new squares for new critters from scratch.

Oh, and I have PP set to "snap to object" rather than "snap to grid". That way I can fix the squares so they fit snugly on the sheet I print, which means less work when cutting them out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads