• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Counter Collection Digital - Making Counters

Fiery Todd

Explorer
Hello, Fiery Todd here with some input. Seeing as I have spent thousands of man hours in the Fiery Dragon labs researching and developing new and exciting ways to mount counters (keep your comments to yourself those whose minds live in the gutter) here’s what we “officially” recommend (which will eventually show up on our site – with pictures even).

Funds and availability of gear permitting, printing the counters out on photo paper/card stock is the likely the best way to go. It encompasses the best of all worlds. They’re relatively durable, there’s no mounting, and they’re shiny.

However, if regular bond paper is the medium, which is what I prefer, this is the process I’ve come up with…

I like Photoshop, but that’s just me. Word is just as good. Coming up with a complete list of counters first and then arranging them into “blocks” is the fastest way for mounting and cutting.

As for a mounting surface I’ve experimented a lot here but the most cost effective is foam core. I like illustration board too, which is much thicker then regular card stock, but not as thick as foam core. You need an art store around for illustration board though, so, assuming there’s a Staples or some kind of office supply store near you, foam core is the best bet. The point here is that one of the biggest complaints we’ve received about the cardstock counters is that they’re difficult to pick up – foam core eliminates this.

As for an adhesive, the spray kind is good, but I think rubber cement is better. It’s designed for mounting stuff, so there ya go. The key to using it is to spread an even, thin coat on the back of your counter paper, and then an even, thin coat on your mounting surface. Let it dry (about a minute). When actually mounting the counter paper, make sure you line it up carefully with just the top portion of the paper touching the mounting surface and then lay it out smooth like wallpaper. Press it as you lay it out to avoid any bubbling. Once it’s on, it’s like, really on there. Elmer’s, glue sticks, etc. are way too messy and will bubble.

When cutting, a metal ruler (or metal rail on some wooden ones) is a must and a cutting blade of vorpal quality is essential. Start your cutting on the outside of your counter block so that if you slip, you’ll only cut into your finger rather then the counters - No, seriously, no drinking, narcotics, or sniffing rubber cement fumes when cutting. The retractable blades are best. Be careful when cutting foam core because if you’re not dead on straight it will chip into the middle foam part. Always use a new blade when cutting a new round of counters. Sharp is good.

For protection purposes, that is, if you someone decides to slap the counters with pizza, I recommend spraying the counters with an artist’s fixative. Some office supply stores carry this stuff and any art store will have it. It will protect the image from smudging, greasy fingers, and general wear and tear. By the way, the counters have now become mini-fire bombs, so try to keep them away from your candelabras as much as possible.

If you follow this entire process, the counters will be so tough that you can load them into a sling shot and do some serious damage. We’ve tested this extensively on our gaming friends.

Yes, I’ve even laminated them. Provided you can past explaining what you’re going to need to the Staples babe, my problem with them is the bleed of laminate. However, they’re great for licking and sticking to your forehead for those intense role-playing moments.

Really, there’s no specific method, as you’ve all proven here. What works for you is what works. I like Pirate Cat’s idea too. Cheap and disposable is always good. I mean, you won’t be leaving 1x1” welts on the legs of unsuspecting passer-bys, but different strokes I guess…

Thanks for the support guys... :)

FDP!

Pinotage

Explorer
Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll go and try a few of these and hopefully find which one works the easiest for me.

Thanks!

Pinotage

buzz

Adventurer
FWIW, I mount FDP counters on mini bases. The FLGS sells "George Bases" (Googling was of no help finding a site for them) that are basically a particle-board, wood-ish substance, and are very cheap; just a couple of bucks per pack. I buy unslotted ones and simply glue counters to them, giving my counters the relative heft of Scrabble pieces. They're easy to pick up and manipulate, but heavy enough that an errant sneeze won't wipe out your orc formation. :)

The bases are also a very dark, rich brown, which I think sets off the normally white-backgrounded counters very well.

Pinotage

Explorer
buzz said:
FWIW, I mount FDP counters on mini bases. The FLGS sells "George Bases" (Googling was of no help finding a site for them) that are basically a particle-board, wood-ish substance, and are very cheap; just a couple of bucks per pack. I buy unslotted ones and simply glue counters to them, giving my counters the relative heft of Scrabble pieces. They're easy to pick up and manipulate, but heavy enough that an errant sneeze won't wipe out your orc formation. :)

The bases are also a very dark, rich brown, which I think sets off the normally white-backgrounded counters very well.

I'll see if I can track something down, thanks! I found 1-inch size self-adhesive magnets (1.5 mm thick) which you can just peel off and stick the paper printed counter on. That'll work quite well for a magnetic board.

Pinotage

bigdamnnerd

Explorer
I actually use Adobe Illustrator for mine, since every counter remains a separate object in the file. I give each of them a 1 pt stroke, and then apply the Round Corners filter to everything, at a radius of about 6". This means that even Colossal creatures turn into circles. Don't ask me why, but I like the circles as opposed to the square--less lining them up exactly on the grid I guess. Then I print them out on cardstock (65 lb or 110 lb--146 or 200 gsm).

I use my 1", 2", and 3" hole punches for Small/Medium, Large and Huge creatures, and a expandable circle cutter for Gargantuan, Colossal and bigger, and cut them out. It really helped that the local crafting store puts a 40-50% off one item coupon in their flyer every week--made the punches much cheaper to buy.

I used to mount them on corrougated cardboard with doublesided foam mounting squares, but I've recently cut out a bunch of circular bases of foamcore, and am mounting them via poster putty.

Even better, I've recently discovered, is wooden craft shapes. I picked up 50ish 1" wooden circles (about 1/8" thick") for about $3. (something like these: Ihttp://www.craftparts.com/mall/Geometrics1.asp, but cheaper locally). I discovered them after I decided there was no easy way to cut 1" circles out of foamcore. I'll probably slowly replace my foamcore circles w/wooden ones over the next few months--I really like the weight it adds. They're also thinner than the foam core, so they take up less room when stored.

I pretty much treat the counters as disposable, putting together entire chapters of the Dungeon Adventure Paths as single Illustrator files, so I haven't really thought about long term storage of the counters themselves.

Pinotage

Explorer
bongert said:
I actually use Adobe Illustrator for mine, since every counter remains a separate object in the file. I give each of them a 1 pt stroke, and then apply the Round Corners filter to everything, at a radius of about 6". This means that even Colossal creatures turn into circles. Don't ask me why, but I like the circles as opposed to the square--less lining them up exactly on the grid I guess. Then I print them out on cardstock (65 lb or 110 lb--146 or 200 gsm).

I use my 1", 2", and 3" hole punches for Small/Medium, Large and Huge creatures, and a expandable circle cutter for Gargantuan, Colossal and bigger, and cut them out. It really helped that the local crafting store puts a 40-50% off one item coupon in their flyer every week--made the punches much cheaper to buy.

I used to mount them on corrougated cardboard with doublesided foam mounting squares, but I've recently cut out a bunch of circular bases of foamcore, and am mounting them via poster putty.

Even better, I've recently discovered, is wooden craft shapes. I picked up 50ish 1" wooden circles (about 1/8" thick") for about $3. (something like these: Ihttp://www.craftparts.com/mall/Geometrics1.asp, but cheaper locally). I discovered them after I decided there was no easy way to cut 1" circles out of foamcore. I'll probably slowly replace my foamcore circles w/wooden ones over the next few months--I really like the weight it adds. They're also thinner than the foam core, so they take up less room when stored.

I pretty much treat the counters as disposable, putting together entire chapters of the Dungeon Adventure Paths as single Illustrator files, so I haven't really thought about long term storage of the counters themselves.

Some more interesting suggestions, thanks! The two main ones I eventually examined were using hardboard and printed lables that could be cut out and stuck to the hardboard. My investigations indicated that it would cost about $20 to cut and buy the hardboard. Then I'd need to print the labels, cut them out and stick them down.

I haven't tried that one yet, but there's a craft shop near here that sells 350 gsm card. I bought some of that, used a gelotine to cut it to size, and then printed the counters onto normal paper. I then used a sharp cutting knife to cut the labels out and glue to stick them down. Cost me a little bit of time and about $0.20 for 80 counters of the card. They look nice as well, so I'm happy with that solution and they're tough and robust on the thick card.

Thanks!

Pinotage

Mr. Draco

First Post
Which counter collection sets does counter collection digital include the pictures from? I'd be interested in picking up counter collection digital, but I've not been able to find this info anywhere...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mr. Draco said:
Which counter collection sets does counter collection digital include the pictures from? I'd be interested in picking up counter collection digital, but I've not been able to find this info anywhere...
Pretty much all of them, I believe - that's why it's such a good deal.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads