• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Counter Pack 4: Eldritch Horrors & Occult Investigators

Shayd3000

First Post
Psion (& anyone else interested);

I gave your comments a lot of thought, so I went back and reviewed some of the other "counters" products I have purchased in the past. My specific consideration was, "is it unreasonable to expect precuts on the counters?" Here is what I looked at:

Fiery Dragon Eldritch Horrors, not precut, 125 counters for $10.95, or 8.8 cents a counter.

Fiery Dragon Counter Collection III: Modern, not precut, 700 counters for $18.95, or 2.7 cents a counter.

Sword & Sorcery Counter Collection I: The Usual Suspects, precut!, 450 counters for $12.95, or 2.9 cents a counter.

Sword & Sorcery Counter Collection II, precut! 400 counters for $14.95, or 3.7 cents a counter.

Based on those four examples (the only ones I have at the present), I can only conclude that precutting, while more expensive, does not seem to reflect much on the price. The modern collection was only 2 tenths of a cent cheaper PER COUNTER than S&S Collection 1, which has precut counters! In fact, the most expensive collection PER COUNTER is the one reviewed, coming in at 8.8 cents a counter, more than double any of the other collections!

I can only conclude, in the absence of further evidence, that the cost of precut counters is negligable and therefore not an unreasonable expectation. In fact, after having reviewed these numbers, I am dismayed that I have paid MORE THAN DOUBLE for counters that I had to cut myself. What I think is unreasonable is that I am expected to pay double for half a product!

George

Psion

Adventurer
The cost of precut counters is not negligible. Further, your comparison does not take into account economies of scale. Of course you are going to get a better deal/have more room for glitz on a bigger product.

Shayd3000

First Post
You're exactly right. The problem is the consumer (such as myself) only sees the final price. He looks at that and says, "gee, I paid 8 cents for this counter and had to cut it out myself but if I buy from this other company, I pay 3 cents for a counter, and they have it cut for me."

However, lets take S&S out of the picture. CCIII Modern was published by Fiery Dragon, and the counters there are only 3 cents each. That's still a 5 cent difference, and perhaps FD did do a bigger run with the Modern counters (thus making them cheaper), but to me (the consumer) I see I'm paying more for less.

Now, when I compare it to other products, on those "other" products I'm paying less, and getting more. I just can't see what's unreasonable about pointing that out. Maybe its not fair, and maybe its not "realistic", but it IS the bottom line.

Your original statement was that it is unreasonable to expect diecut or perforated counters because it costs money for something I can do myself. From the consumers point of view, who cares nothing about "economies of scale" and where "opportunity cost" is more applicable, the price comparisons do prove that the expectation is not unreasonable. It may not be realistic given publishing realities, I grant you that, but based on existing products that are cheaper and have diecut the counters it is a fair expectation, at least for me.

Ultimatly, it is for the reader of the review to decide, and I think I'm being perfectly fair to the reader by clearly spelling out how I judge the product. Savvy readers such as yourself, for whom such things are NOT important, can ignore it, and even reward the extra point if you were trying to evaluate the product for a "buy" or "not buy" situation.

The bottom line is, I prefer diecut counters, so that's how I score it in my review. Your reviews are also based on your expectations of a product. I don't call you unreasonable when you have an opinion that doesn't agree with mine, and I expect the same courtesy. I am however, very happy to discuss the issues, such as we're doing now. Such discourse only serves to improve my future reviews, and perhaps further educate me, you, and anyone reading it. I think that can only be a good thing!

George

Psion

Adventurer
"Your reviews are also based on your expectations of a product. I don't call you unreasonable when you have an opinion that doesn't agree with mine, and I expect the same courtesy."

As I will not have a chance to review this product, I just thought I would add my two cents. I never said you don't have a right to your evaluation. I just differ with it. :)

Shayd3000

First Post
And that I do not have a problem with. In fact, the entire discussion has had me re-look at my evaluation. I still stand by it, but it never hurts to take a second or third, or even fourth look. Like I always tell my daughter, "Don't just have an opinion, know why you have an opinion." Discussions like this are very good for that.

By the way, I don't have a problem with you disagreeing, and with you pointing that out, in fact, I think that's a good thing. My only issue was with the use of the term "unreasonable". I just thought it to be a bit heavy-handed. However, I did enjoy the discussion your comments triggered.

George

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads