• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

countering invisibility with illusion?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
We were fighting a will'o'wisp, and my character was the only one with see invisibility. (and no one had didpel or any other good anti invis spells). I also had Dancing Lights. I asked the DM if I made a ball of light and held it exactly where the wisp was, moving it with it, if this could overcom itsinvisibility for the others. He said that it could mark its general location, but the others would still have the full miss count and it still couldn't be targeted by spells.

I did it anyway because it takes no concentration or action to move the lights, and it saved me yelling "its right there now!" over and over, but I'm still wondering about the larger tactic.... with a standard action every turn, a concentration check or any other requirements, would you allow a combination of see invisibility and a superimposed illusion to overcome invisibility? (or possibly change it from full concealment to concealment, effectively saying its under the effects of Blur due to being just a tiny bit behind on tracking its movements?)

UltimaGabe

First Post
I'd do it just as your DM did it- they could target the square, but he'd still have total concealment. That's really the only reasonable way to do it.

lukelightning

First Post
Heck, in a humor-flavored campaign, you might even fool the will-o-wisp into thinking your dancing light is another wisp...a sexy one. "oooh, hubba hubba, you got the sexiest glow..."

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Your light would be following the will-o-wisp's movements. You couldn't actually predict how it would dodge a sword blow, so your globe would be lagging behind it by some margin. If you were reading its thoughts, perhaps you could do a better job -- but as it is, seems like you're giving it the effect of displacement (which is still sweet compared to the effect of greater invisibility).

Nice use of a cantrip, good ruling from your DM. :)

Cheers, -- N

Kahuna Burger

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
I'd do it just as your DM did it- they could target the square, but he'd still have total concealment. That's really the only reasonable way to do it.
We usually wait until a little later in the thread to start implying that people who disagree with you are intrinsicly unreasonable. But I that you for your opinion on how you would handle it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kahuna Burger said:
We usually wait until a little later in the thread to start implying that people who disagree with you are intrinsicly unreasonable. But I that you for your opinion on how you would handle it.

Try inserting a mental "In my opinion" when reading statements like his, rather than leaping to find offence you can take where none was intended.

-Hyp.
(Moderator)

Whimsical

Explorer
I mentally insert "THIS, I COMMAND!" in the statements I make. :)

I have used see invisibility/dancing lights in the manner you have. And it was so that the other PCs could pinpoint the location of the invisible opponent. With full concealment, of course.

THIS, I COMMAND!

Remove ads