• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Countering the Druid's Wildshape (In Game...)

Syntallah

First Post
If I was an evil Cultist and had captured a druid, is there any way I can counter a druid from wildshaping? Does he need a verbal element? Just a thought and BAM!, he's a turtle?

Any thoughts and input are most welcome...

[Note: at work, no books with me...]

Paraxis

Explorer
Not in the book, a naked druid with his head in a sack, gagged, and trussed up like a calf at a rodeo will just turn into an animal and escape as soon as he is alone.

A fully enclosed chamber without any holes big enough for a tiny animal would do it but when that door opens expect to deal with a pissed off druid in his most powerful beast form.

Just make up rules for magic in your game, the druids learned their wild shape ability from the fey and so cold iron manacles with the proper runes on them prevent the ability, if it is necessary.

But taking any spellcaster hostage is always dangerous, most npc's in my world execute them, or at least mutilate them (no hands, no tongue, no eyes = no magic) if they have to keep them around.

Good kingdoms, might have invented anti-magic brands, collars, bracers, or other device to control imprisoned spellcasters.

Cernor

Explorer
If you've captured only the druid, there's not much you can do to stop him wildshaping and getting away. If you have (at least one of) his friends, threatening to kill them slowly and painfully if he tries to escape should be a good deterrent.

Klaus

First Post
Anything that prevents the druid from taking actions will keep him/her from wildshaping. This includes anything that imposes the following conditions:

- Incapacitated
- Paralyzed
- Petrified
- Stunned
- Unconscious

aramis erak

Legend
If you've captured only the druid, there's not much you can do to stop him wildshaping and getting away. If you have (at least one of) his friends, threatening to kill them slowly and painfully if he tries to escape should be a good deterrent.

you can always beat him to death.

Putting him in a cell with an object that only casts antimagic field is a pretty good start. In the short term, the antimagic field spell is 8th level.

Geas (Fifth Level) also works rather well. It may take a few tries. 5d8 Psychic if he shifts after you successfully geas him to remain in his native form.

Hold Person (2nd level) is less effective, but has the benefit of also preventing casting, fighting, and running away.

Oh, and a deep pit with oiled walls will hold low level druids fairly effectively.

Last edited:

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
It's not explicitly spelled out in the book as to how size changes affect wildshape when one is tied up. One COULD try placing an inwardly-spiked collar around the druid's neck (so that a size increase causes the spikes to stab into the neck) and putting tension on legs + arms (as per a rack). Or if one is DM merely rationalize that confining a druid in that manner is effective at blocking wildshape.

Paraxis

Explorer
It's not explicitly spelled out in the book as to how size changes affect wildshape when one is tied up. One COULD try placing an inwardly-spiked collar around the druid's neck (so that a size increase causes the spikes to stab into the neck) and putting tension on legs + arms (as per a rack). Or if one is DM merely rationalize that confining a druid in that manner is effective at blocking wildshape.

The druid just wild shapes into a very tiny animal, or if it is a worn item assumes it into his form.

Paraxis

Explorer
In which case the tension on the druid's limbs pulls them apart as they shorten...depending on how the DM reasons that the change occurs.

I don't see how any DM could reasonably assume the change involves anything else than ***poof*** new form. This isn't werewolf in london here, it is more like sword in the stone. The change happens in a fraction of a 6 second round, is instantaneous, and can include forms as diverse as a spider, lizard, triceratops, or an elemental. There is no slow steady gain or loss of mass it is instantaneous transformation, muscles and bones don't grow or shrink they just change *poof* it's magic. You can choose if your equipment comes with you or not, you can even pick and choose different worn or carried items to do different things. This ring merges with form, this one drops, my hat can stay on my head, my armor will meld with me, the potion bottle in my hand will merge, and so on. I doubt any of that would be possible if it just wasn't a magical instantaneous simple action.

Remove ads