• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Counterspell - Do I know my foes' spell before I counter?

bbrown12

First Post
Hi,

let's say, I don't want to waste my Counterspell to interrupt an enemy casting a Cantrip, but I do want to prevent him from casting e.g. a Fireball. Is it possible to find out what spell is being cast by my foe, so I can decide whether or not I cast Counterspell?

For example, I am having in mind to use the Arcana ability check for that. On the other hand, if I start to allow that, I am sure my Players will ask for that check for ANY spell. Therefore, to speed up the game, I would also be an option to automatically tell them and give them the opportunity to counter or not.

How would you rule that?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

schnee

First Post
I run it as:

1) If they have the spell on their spells known list, they automatically know what's being cast.

2) If they don't, they can roll an Arcana check to see if they understand it. DC 15 + spell level.

3) Sometimes the check is made at Disadvantage. For example - really noisy situations, the other caster is over ~60' away, stuff like that. It's a judgment call, but those are rare.

Volund

Explorer
For spells that only have a V component, I think you should be in a position to hear them in order to know what they are casting.

bbrown12

First Post
Thanks for all your responses!

I run it as:

1) If they have the spell on their spells known list, they automatically know what's being cast.

2) If they don't, they can roll an Arcana check to see if they understand it. DC 15 + spell level.

3) Sometimes the check is made at Disadvantage. For example - really noisy situations, the other caster is over ~60' away, stuff like that. It's a judgment call, but those are rare.
I like that ruling. Only question to discuss seems the difficulty of the DC. 15 + spell level seems a bit high, doesn't it?

tardigrade

Explorer
Related question: if a companion recognises the spell, can they alert the counterspeller? Or assist?
(I'd say this is reasonable by fluff but potentially unfair by crunch).

My players are bound to ask this eventually, but it occurred to me since my first character (a bard) had CS but rarely used it for this reason, and my current character is a non-caster with expertise in arcana).

Remove ads