• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coup de Grace A troll with fire resistance Question

Belzbet

First Post
This has probably came up before but... Lets say a troll that has fire and acid resistance is knocked unconscious due to non-lethal damage, if you attempt to coup de grace that troll with a weapon that does fire or acid damage would you have to do more fire/acid damage than they have resistance or does the attack kill them? So lets say that a troll has fire resist 5 and I hit him with a flaming sword, would I have to do 6 fire damage for the coup de grace to succeed? or could I do less?

Also, lets say that the troll is immune to fire and acid (and has resistance). Could I still coup de grace that troll, or is it a troll with immunity to fire and acid non killable via damage or a coup de grace?

S

Sunseeker

If by "kill" you mean impaled its heart q few times, no. That would not kill the latter troll. And yes, damage resistence works like damage reduction. You must do more than the value to do any damage at all. If I recall, I beloved troll can still be killed by dismemberment, so if you beheaded it, its dead. In a coup de gras situation this is just RP flavor, at least that's how I would run it at my table. I'd also never throw a monster at my party whose defenses are the same as its weaknesses. Weaknesses are there for a reason.

Hussar

Legend
This has probably came up before but... Lets say a troll that has fire and acid resistance is knocked unconscious due to non-lethal damage, if you attempt to coup de grace that troll with a weapon that does fire or acid damage would you have to do more fire/acid damage than they have resistance or does the attack kill them? So lets say that a troll has fire resist 5 and I hit him with a flaming sword, would I have to do 6 fire damage for the coup de grace to succeed? or could I do less?

Also, lets say that the troll is immune to fire and acid (and has resistance). Could I still coup de grace that troll, or is it a troll with immunity to fire and acid non killable via damage or a coup de grace?

A troll that is immune to fire and acid is, effectively, unkillable. Note, DannyA has some other methods that might work, since they bypass Hit Points. But, since regeneration turns all damage into non-lethal and the immunities negate all permanent damage, then you could never kill this troll through hit point damage.

To be fair, since drowning actually deals hit point damage, I'm not entirely sure you could drown a troll. The troll would drop to -1 HP, but, his regeneration would keep bumping him up positive on his turn. So, the troll would fail its Con check, drop to -1 HP on the next round, then be positive HP in the round after that as the regeneration would kick in, and the troll would again drop to -1 HP, on and on forever. Bit wonky. But, then again, you can cut a troll into itty bitty pieces and it will grow back, so, it's not like it really has to breathe.

delericho

Legend
This has probably came up before but... Lets say a troll that has fire and acid resistance is knocked unconscious due to non-lethal damage, if you attempt to coup de grace that troll with a weapon that does fire or acid damage would you have to do more fire/acid damage than they have resistance or does the attack kill them?

Bear in mind that a coup de grace isn't an auto-kill even at the best of times - the attacker gets an auto-critical-hit (with sneak attack, if applicable), and then the victim gets a Fort save vs DC (10+damage). (Perhaps ironically, the last time this came up IMC, the target involved was indeed a troll - and it successfully saved.)

If the creature attacked has Damage Reduction, Energy Resistance, or similar, then the damage done is reduced first, and then the save is made. So, the save becomes easier. And if the Damage Reduction, Energy Resistance, or some other effect reduces the damage dealt to 0, then no save is required - the coup de grace automatically fails.

So lets say that a troll has fire resist 5 and I hit him with a flaming sword, would I have to do 6 fire damage for the coup de grace to succeed? or could I do less?

You would need to do a minimum of 6 fire damage. Any less than that, and the damage is reduced to 0, so the coup de grace auto-fails. (Worse still, even if you do 6 damage, the DC of the save is only 11 (10 + 1 damage, of course), so the troll saves on a 2 or better.)

The troll would be effectively unkillable by damage.

However... I would note at this point that once the party reach the point where all the trolls are effectively disabled (because any time it regenerates the fighter just puts it down again), I would be inclined to simply handwave some means for the PCs to finish it off. Otherwise, the game is liable to bog down and become extremely frustrating, because the PCs won't leave an enemy behind them (to regenerate and attack later), but also can't really deal with it.

I'd also never throw a monster at my party whose defenses are the same as its weaknesses. Weaknesses are there for a reason.

This also. However note that, per the DMG, some 20% of encounters should be 'trick' encounters - if the PCs work out the trick then they're expected to be quite easy, but if they don't then they should be very hard. Thus, a troll with protection from energy cast upon it is fair game - the 'trick' is that they should cast dispel magic to get rid of the protection.

But, sure enough, a blanket immunity to fire, or a protection that cannot be removed is excessively harsh.

To be fair, since drowning actually deals hit point damage, I'm not entirely sure you could drown a troll. The troll would drop to -1 HP, but, his regeneration would keep bumping him up positive on his turn. So, the troll would fail its Con check, drop to -1 HP on the next round, then be positive HP in the round after that as the regeneration would kick in, and the troll would again drop to -1 HP, on and on forever. Bit wonky. But, then again, you can cut a troll into itty bitty pieces and it will grow back, so, it's not like it really has to breathe.

Technically, I think you're wrong. The troll's regen works by converting real damage to non-lethal and then removing that non-lethal damage.

Drowning doesn't cause damage, technically, it reduces the victim's hit points to -1. Because of this, regen can't convert the damage to non-lethal, and can't then remove the non-lethal damage (because there isn't any).

But that's hellish nitpicky, rules-lawyer-y stuff. Honestly, if the PCs are at the point where drowing the troll is a viable tactic, we're probably at my "handwave a way to finish it off" stage anyway. :)

Belzbet

First Post
thank you all for the responses... yeah thats what I figured...a troll is non killable via damage if it is immune to acid/fire. Why I ask is that I am created a BAD ASS campaign where my players actually gain divine ranks while they gain levels (so it is possible to have a level 5 PC with divine rank 1). My top villains have divine ranks themselves so it makes for BAD ASS battles. I have a troll5/Ranger5 with divine rank 1 ( all legit via rules in splat and primary books). A deity has auto immunity to cold electricity, and acid, and fire resist 20+divine rank. So a dvine troll is bad ass. In my campaign I have a divine troll, goblin, yuan-ti, gnoll, lizardfolk, drow, githyanki, balor, pit fiend, lich, and my PC is a divine orc that has bad ass abilities. The point of the campaign is for the orc PC to defeat the other God like NPC's and gain godhood... The world is totally evil and the PC's play evil chars... This troll is the Troll King of the troll trine and the PC (an orc king) will eventually battle the troll king. At this point my PC and the troll will have a divine rank 1 (at only 5 to 7 HD). It will be cool, What do you all think?

delericho

Legend
thank you all for the responses... yeah thats what I figured...a troll is non killable via damage if it is immune to acid/fire. Why I ask is that I am created a BAD ASS campaign where my players actually gain divine ranks while they gain levels... It will be cool, What do you all think?

I think it's your campaign, and I hope you have fun with it!

A deity has auto immunity to cold electricity, and acid, and fire resist 20+divine rank.

Ah, I see.

Actually, in the case of this campaign, I think I'd be inclined to introduce some sort of artifact creating divine fire that specifically bypasses the fire resistance of the troll god - give the PCs something to quest after. Given that your campaign has something of a "Clash of the Titans" vibe to it, you could call it "The Torch of Prometheus", or something of that ilk.

Belzbet

First Post
Yea I am going on the idea that ANY magic item found was created by you or someone you know... I am starting the campaign with a tribe of 500 orc, yuanti demon (dretchs), drow, gnolls, goblins, and my PC is a first Generation Orc... every year each orc has about 2 kid so when the first gen. kids become about 18-20 there will be about 10,000 in the tribe. My PC is an orc that will evenntually attain divine ranks... But magic items are far and in between I am thinkig my orc PC will be able to defeat this troll with NO special items...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads