• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coup de Grace called shots

hong

WotC's bitch
If you can CdG someone, that essentially means they're at your mercy so I say you can do whatever the hell you like.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Core Rules do not support called shots at all. A coup de grace allows you to kill. If the DM allows, it would not be unreasonable to do something less than that. However, that's the DM's call.

Roudi

First Post
A called shot coup de grace is as redundant as setting a burning house on fire.

Coup de Grace - your enemy is helpless. You have all the time in the world to line up a shot (or ready a strike) to just the right area to kill the person. The other person is helpess somehow, be they unconscious or tied up or having their back turned to you thinking you are friend.

Called Shot (assuming people allow these in their games) - instead of just aiming at a person or creature, declaring an attack to aim for a specific body part or appendage. This usually involves a penalty to attack rolls to model the fact that you are voluntarily choosing NOT to aim at the biggest area of the target. This is a combat maneuver, and can be made against an enemy aware of your presence, able to dodge, or otherwise not helpless.

The point is that you cannot coup de grace IN COMBAT. One's foe must be subdued or left unaware of threat until the deed is done. Aiming for a target's head is NOT a called shot coup de grace. It's simply a called shot to the noggin. Same for groin shots.

Just remember this simple rule: "You can't Coup-de-Grace until he's down on his face!"

Well, you get the point.

Squire James

First Post
I never really understood why people think called shots need to be in a game with an abstract HP system. "I'm aiming for his head" is pretty much a typical melee attack. If you're trying to kill something, you're probably aiming at its head or nearby vital area already. So no special rules should apply.

If the conditions are such that a Coup de Grace occurs, the player can pretty much hit the victim where he wants. The game effects would be no different. For example:

PC: I cut off his head.

DM: That would be a Coup de Grace. Roll damage for a critical hit.

PC: Uh, 6.

DM: (rolls Fort save) He's still alive. I heard axes are better for this sort of thing than rapiers...

Darklone

You can use Power Attack with a CdG, though it has been hotly debated in the Rules section.

That's the closest thing to a Called Shot by the rules.

Gez

First Post
Even if you use a ranged weapon, you need to be beside (within 5 ft. of) your victim to do a coup de grâce. So, it's a point blank called shot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads