• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Couple of General Druid Question

jarlaxlecq

First Post
1) When you wild shape into an animal do you get the Special qualities that they mention (Hold Breath for a Orca for example or low light vision) I know that polymorph says that you dont get extraorinary special qualities, not sure if these quality. If the above aren't Extraordinary which special qualities would be.

2) If your 10 lvl and shape change into a Dire Ape, you change into a 10HD DIre Ape right? not just one listed in the MM which would then affect to hits, HP, etc etc

Darklone

1) sadly not. At least, usually. Some things simply make sense though... welcome to the "polymorph is at least weird" club.

2) You keep BAB, hitpoints, saves... since a druids BAB, save and hitpoints are the same as an animals... nothing changes for you, only your natural weapons and armour and some other things ;)

jarlaxlecq

First Post
One other thing, how does AC work with Wildshape. Do things like Bracers of Armor, rings of protections etc etc "work" while wildshaped. About the only lousy thing about wildshape is that most animals have an awful AC. I'd hope i wouldn't be a 16HD Dire TIger with a AC of 17 :uhoh:

mikebr99

Explorer
Darklone said:
1) sadly not. At least, usually. Some things simply make sense though... welcome to the "polymorph is at least weird" club.

2) You keep BAB, hitpoints, saves... since a druids BAB, save and hitpoints are the same as an animals... nothing changes for you, only your natural weapons and armour and some other things ;)
But you change your current hps due to the fact that you are getting a new CON (assuming the animal's is different then your normal one).

Your saves change, due to the fact that you are getting a new CON and new DEX.

Mike

mikebr99

Explorer
jarlaxlecq said:
One other thing, how does AC work with Wildshape. Do things like Bracers of Armor, rings of protections etc etc "work" while wildshaped. About the only lousy thing about wildshape is that most animals have an awful AC. I'd hope i wouldn't be a 16HD Dire TIger with a AC of 17 :uhoh:
Yes... bracers and rings will work in your new animal form.

Have a look at the bottom of this... http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a for all that animal magic slots.

and for wildshape (via polymorph) questions, it's best to have a look at... http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040511a

Mike

maddman75

First Post
A common house-rule that I use is to let wildshaped (and polymorphed) characters have any extraordinary abilities that exist in the real world. Thus a bat gets Blindsight, a snake can Constrict, but a troll doesn't get Regenerate.

It still bothers me that this is a hole in the rules. I can't deal with a druid shaping into a bat being unable to see. IMO as long as they were doing a revision they should have had four categories of ability - Natural, Extraordinary, Supernatural, and Spell-like.

dshai527

First Post
Just a quick question on wildshaping - how much equipment will fuse in with the wild shape....if the player is heavily encumbered (and we will assume the gear is unusable in his new form)when he wild shapes is he now unencumbered regardless of size or strength of his new form. Also if he has a spell cast on his weapon (Say GMW) and wildshapes does the spell end immediatly, at durations end, or is it stored and starts the countdown again when the wildshape ends?

mikebr99

Explorer
dshai527 said:
Just a quick question on wildshaping - how much equipment will fuse in with the wild shape....if the player is heavily encumbered (and we will assume the gear is unusable in his new form)when he wild shapes is he now unencumbered regardless of size or strength of his new form. Also if he has a spell cast on his weapon (Say GMW) and wildshapes does the spell end immediatly, at durations end, or is it stored and starts the countdown again when the wildshape ends?
Again... most gear will be available in animal form... http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a (posted the 2nd time)

He gets a new STR, so may not be encumbered.

If he changes into, say a ape, he could still use weapons, so GWW is still in effect. Anyway, wildshape wont dispel GWM, so it still count down in duration, whether the weapon is being used, or fused into the new form.

Mike

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Natural Ability: This term is a catch-all for just about anything a creature can do (or characteristic that it has) that is not extraordinary, spell-like, or supernatural. Natural abilities include most speed ratings (some very high speeds are not "natural," see the section on the alter self spell), mode of breathing (lungs, gills), natural armor and weaponry, general appearance, body type, and the presence or absence of the five basic senses (sight, hearing, touch, taste, pain). When polymorphing, you generally lose your own natural abilities and gain those of your assumed form.

This seems to cover stuff like eye sight and breathing, seems to say that druids would get that. Just not supernatural stuff like regeneration as was mentioned above

Remove ads