• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

covaithe's E1: Death's Reach

renau1g

First Post
Hearing the name Angel of Death, Kalas will bring up his armaments and prepare for the worst, still not trusting the hospitality of the lich. He knew enough about angels that they wouldn't be particularly fond of undead, such as himself.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Sarenax turns to face the stairs, positioning himself so he can still keep an eye Orelal. "The Queen has sent an angel? We were correct, these dreams and our meeting here are no coincidence," he says to no one in particular.

covaithe

Explorer
Igor clumps down the stairs to the doorway. Moments later, a majestic figure floats effortlessly up the stairway on wings formed of hundreds of luminous ethereal tendrils. A grey hood covers most of its face, and its hands remain hidden in the wide sleeves of an immaculate grey robe. Where its face does show, its androgynous features show a cold, hard beauty, like a perfect sheet of ice. The angel looks around, and speaks in formal tones.

"Know thou that thou art honored beyond all deserving, for the Spinner of Fate, the Patron of Winter, hath summoned thee to audience in Her Citadel. She who marketh the end of every mortal life, requireth thy service in a matter of grave significance. Tarry thou not overlong in thy coming, lest Her foes bar thy path. By Her grace I give thee the means of passage to the doorstep of Zvomarana, highest temple of Her Dark Majesty. Come thou not unprepared, lest the capriciousness of fate find thee wanting."

He pulls a scroll case made of polished bone from his sleeves, and hands it to whoever is closest.

[sblock=Massacre]Your nethers lurch violently, quivering with the highest degree of alarm you have ever felt. The view from the top shows five figures approaching. Three are mounted. The fourth is flying. All those are too far away to make out any details, though they are approaching rapidly. The last figure is all too easy to make out; its huge form towers high above the others: it is a goristro.

They are clearly heading straight for your tower. The boneyard confuses them briefly, but the goristro simply tramples through it, and they quickly realize that it is illusory. Worse, you can see heavy rain and high winds whipping through the fog surrounding your tower, thinning and diffusing it.

[sblock=Insight DC 20]It very rarely rains here in the Shadowfell, and for a sudden heavy windstorm to arrive just as a band of heavily armed, uninvited guests arrive? Surely not coincidence.

[sblock=Arcana DC 25]A Control Weather ritual could produce this effect, though the casting time is long enough that it must have been prepared some time ago. Someone has known the location of your tower and planned an attack even before all your guests arrived.[/sblock]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
Kyleks pale eyes positively shone with fierce intensity as he listened to the words of the latest, and perhaps strangest, arrival.

You have many interesting guests today Massacre. I see my coming was not in vain.

Without consulting the others the huge alabaster dragonborn stepped foward, even in the presence of this divine messenger the imperious tone came easily to Kylek's tongue.

Tell your mistress we will be there.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
A low rumble emanates from Sarenax's throat as the angel makes it clear that they are to serve the Raven Queen - that they are all to serve Her. "It appears your blasphemy will be overlooked Orelal ... for now," he says under his breath, his face showing no sign whether he thinks that good or bad.

Then Sarenax half-bows to the angel and takes the scroll case. He nods as Kylek makes his declaration. "It is my pleasure to carry out the will of Lady Death. With her blessings, nothing shall bar our way."

CaBaNa

First Post
While conversation continues with the angel, Orelal lurches violently, obviously very confused. Then the golden orbs, that once were Massacre's eyes, widen into terror stricken masses of luminance. Everyone out! Front door, Igor! Noticing the angel again, Massacre gives a slight bow, and enunciates very clearly. Messenger, I don't suppose I could trouble you to remove the goristro from my property? as he continues to walk toward the parlor door. Igor opens it from the inside, Mather the mounth are prepared. Spot on, the torchbearers are coming if you get my meaning old friend... Underthood Mather. Igor scurries with the group, to open and close doors as needed. Gentlemen, and I use the term loosely. Our first goal is to lure that awful tower trampling beast away from my home. Some of you have a full understanding of the life force sacrificed in it's making. Followed closely by getting to Her Majesty. Orelal is now in full stride heading to mount Lucy, as soon as the Archlich saddles up, the wyvern lifts off into a low hover. After strapping his legs in the saddle, full wrapping leather straps holding tight, Massacre removes two orbs from his robe, they arc magical energy between them. Pulsing slightly.

Igor is already opening the double doors leading out of the stable, and the teleportation circle pulses with readiness.

renau1g

First Post
After the angel finishes speaking, Kalas will bow slightly and in a hushed voice full of reverence and obediance say "She has my blade, but she already knew that".

At Massacre's outburst, Kalas rushes to his mount, Gilthanas, and saddles up, whispering in its ear excitedly "The time is here friend, we shall taste the sweet fruit of battle once more!". The nightmare responds with a flare of its flames rising over Kalas, but not harming him. Drawing his silver blade once more and bringing up his shield, the revenant guides the creature with his knees, his massive strength enough to maneuver Gilthanas. They both teleport next to Orelal. "What is the meaning of this!" he demands.

CaBaNa

First Post
Five intruders, One flying, three mounted, and a living siege engine. Hope they come for us, and not the tower, shell of Kalas.

Lucifa's wings create a steady humming drone, that continues to reverberate throughout the tower.

Storms such as this before you, likely the thaumaturgical efforts of another caster... they knew we were here, before arriving...

Massacre feels the odd sensations of faux adrenaline, his first battle since the transformation, how appropriate to be protecting his phylactery. *This tower's construction came with a high price, my phylactery will be fine, but the walls that harbor it...* Massacre feels his mind clear, with the others nearby Massacre shouts out.

Her enemies approach, TO BATTLE!

[sblock=OOC]

Someone other than Massacre was originally handed the scroll. I think it obvious that Kalas didn't have it as well.

Check that guy out, it may be a teleport scroll.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads