• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cowboys, Samurais & Barbarins all in the same setting?

scourger

Explorer
Having done this sort of game and currently running a cross-genre campaign, I find that the key to balancing firearms is to keep attacks of opportunity. Of course, it's easy for a shooter to take a 5-foot step back and then shoot; but remember reach, cover, shooting into a grapple, etc. It's will make the shooters a little more powerful, but if it's fun for the players then go for it. Plus, the cowboys won't know how to wear armor as will the smaurai and barbarians; so there is some equalization.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
warlord said:
I have toyed with the idea for a while but would a world with cowboys(guys with revolver,repeating rifles, shotguns ect.) make any sense or even work when going up against a Conan the Barbarian type or a Samurai?

If this is wrong, then I don't wanna be right!

Rips in the dimensional fabric are your friend here, I believe.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As pointed out, all three existed in a real world setting (Earth) in the 19th century. The only question is how big your setting ends up being.

Would all three of these likely be in close proximity to one another? Probably not. But if either the cowboys are exotic in the homeland of the samurai or the reverse, it's possible to keep things balanced -- either gunpowder is so hard to get, that the cowboys don't use it that much, or samurai are surrounded by it and choose to pick up the weapons of the locals to retain equal footing.

Frankly, all you need are dinosaurs, and you've got pretty much the perfect game! :cool:

warlord

First Post
Oh I forgot dinosaurs now I can have dino riding hobgoblins with revolvers fighting bulllet parrying pyscic samurai. I love D&D! :)

Devilkiller

First Post
I applaud Gomez's post. The 1800s were full of samurai and barbarians as well as cowboys. There's no reason why guys in loincloths carrying spears, guys with swords, and guys with guns can't all fit together very nicely. In fact, in fantasy based on the real world from say the 1500s on they'd almost have to.

If you want the "samurai" to be the major heroes or most powerful villains of your world I suggest you check out the Star Wars RPG. Scratch the serial numbers off the blasters and Jedi, and you'll be well on your way to making a world where cowboys and samurai can adventure together. Samurai are Jedi, Cowboys are Soldiers, and Indians (or whoever) are probably Fringers. Of course you'd need to revise the skill lists a bit to reflect the lack of spaceships and computers. There are other things like trains and telegraphs though

I don't find the Star Wars universe itself as interesting as some of my friends do, but I think the d20 SWRPG rules do a nice job of handlling a lot of situations. I think my next "D&D" campaign might actually be a fantasy version of the Star Wars d20 RPG.

Mystaros

First Post
Broncosaurus Rex, from Goodman Games, might be a good option for you. That one mixes cowboys and dinosaurs, of course, but it is a good start. It's also a science-fantasy setting, with starships and all, but you could change that to magical portals or whatever variant you want. Maybe even just have Cretasus, which is the dinosaur world, be just a continent on a planet where the Confederacy and the Union are on another continent...

Add in a new faction on the planet, one from a Japanese style setting, and you've got your samurai. This could be a whole stellar empire, like the Kurita from BattleTech, or another continent on the planet, if you are going with that option, or an empire on a whole different world if you are going with the portals option.

Barbarians are easy... they could be local "neanderthal" style tribesmen, "lost world" tribes like out of Burroughs or Carter, or even wandering Scotsmen from yet another continent or world...

You can then add in Magical Mechs if you want, using Goodman Games' DragonMech...

To wrap it all up in a more fantasy than science setting, dig up the DragonStar setting from Fantasy Flight Games. That sets the planet in a fantasy-science galactic-spanning civilization. You've got the Confederacy and the Union from outside Dragonspace, who have settled Cretasus on the borders of the Draconic Star Empire with their cowboys and soldiers. To preserve their claim, the Dragons invade part of the planet, primarily with their warriors and monks from one of their own Oriental style worlds from nearby. Into the mix of this, wanders some Space Barbarians, clad in kilts, and weilding broadswords, riding the backs of giant space whales, and manning their ancestral DragonMechs. Of course, there are the dinosarus of the planet themselves, who just wanna be left alone...

And you can add in the races from Red Steel, too... Lupines (dog people), Rakasta (cat people), Tortles (tortle people), and Aranea (spider people). Heck, you could have some teenage monkish ninja tortles, even... :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads