• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CR 1-3 Genies

Urklore

First Post
Has anyone seen any low-level Genies with CRs of 1-3? I have checked on the boards and all the current d20 books out with no luck.

I did see a tasked admin genie by Krishnath on the board long ago, but looking for something on these lines but with only at most 2-3HD.

Kafkonia

First Post
Urklore said:
Has anyone seen any low-level Genies with CRs of 1-3? I have checked on the boards and all the current d20 books out with no luck.

The main problem with this is that much of what defines a genie as such -- spell-like abilities, elemental or planar abilities such as plane shift -- make it hard to keep the CR that low. I'll see if I can work something up though.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The gen, from Dragon #315 and reprinted in Dragon Compendium Volume One, are CR 1/2 and advance up to 6 HD (CR 3).

Urklore

First Post
Yup, aware of the Gen, thanks Shade. I was thinking more of something along the lines of a tasked genie (artist or administrator). Something with alot of knowledge skills maybe low-level divination spell-like abilities that I can give to the party in a magic lamp, ring, or such but nothing like a full-blown djinn or such that would give the party too much combat firepower.

Kafkonia

First Post
Urklore said:
Yup, aware of the Gen, thanks Shade. I was thinking more of something along the lines of a tasked genie (artist or administrator). Something with alot of knowledge skills maybe low-level divination spell-like abilities that I can give to the party in a magic lamp, ring, or such but nothing like a full-blown djinn or such that would give the party too much combat firepower.

Tell ya what -- because I like you so much, I'll design one, just for you! :D

Kafkonia

First Post
Genie, Muse

First draft. I reverse-engineered this from the janni, the weakest D&D genie in 3.5. I scaled the HD back by 4 (which should be a reduction of CR by 2, since an increase of HD by 4 would be an increase of CR by 2.) I fiddled with the SLAs and resistance, and replaced Change Shape with a variant Inspire Competence.

Genie, Muse
Medium Outsider (Native)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft., fly 20 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 13 (+2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Light mace +4 melee (1d6+2/20) or longbow +4 ranged (1d8/×3)
Full Attack: Light mace +4 melee (1d6+2/20) or longbow +4 ranged (1d8/×3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., elemental endurance, inspire, plane shift, resistance to electricity 10, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 15
Skills: Appraise +9, Bluff +7, Craft (any one) OR Perform (any one) +7, Decipher Script +9, Diplomacy +9, Disguise +7 (+9 when the muse knows she is being observed in character), Knowledge: Arcana +7, Knowledge: Architecture +7, Knowledge: History +7
Feats: Diligent, Improved Initiative(B)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, band (2-5), or troupe (6-15)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium); 5-6 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +5

Known for their special interest in creativity, muses are weaker siblings to their fellow native genies, the jann. A muse will often take a keen interest in the life and works of a single individual, sometimes using her invisibility and ethereal jaunt abilities to observe and assist her charge without ever revealing herself.

Muses speak Common and any two other languages.

Combat

Although physically capable, muses eschew combat if at all possible, preferring to make art, not war. If unable to avoid battle, however, a muse will fight with a savage fury.

Inspire (Su)
Twice per day, a muse can inspire an ally to greater heights of creativity. For two minutes per use, the muse grants her ally a +2 competence bonus to any Craft or Perform skill made during that time. The muse must be within 30 ft and able to see her ally. This is a mind-affecting abilitiy that does not affect other muses.

Spell-Like Abilities
3/day—invisibility (self only), glibness. Caster level 12th. Once per day a muse can cast secret page (caster level 5th), and can use ethereal jaunt (caster level 13th) for 1 hour. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Elemental Endurance (Ex)
Muses can survive on the Elemental Planes of Air, Earth, Fire, or Water for up to 48 hours. Failure to return to the Material Plane before that time expires causes a muse to take 1 point of damage per additional hour spent on the elemental plane, until it dies or returns to the Material Plane.
----
Thoughts?

GwydapLlew

First Post
Hrm. I like it. There's something that's tweaking me about it, but I can't suss it out. I'd say remove the plane shift - make it more dependent on the other genies.

On second thought, that's too iconic for genies.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads