• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CR for small groups

balam_br

Explorer
I´m DMing for two 4th level characters, and i´m having trouble assigning encounter level for them.

a CR 4 encounter usually is a little tougher than what they can handle... is there some formula to adjust CR for groups with more or less than 4 players?

OBS: i dont use NPCs, they spoil the fun ;-)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
balam_br said:
Laman: So.. my groups with only 2 players... i need to use Encounters with CR 3?

Really, you should throw monsters with CR 2 levels lower, so CR 2 when they're level 4. In practice, I'd use -1 to -2, so CR 2 to CR 3.

the Jester

Legend
Double or halve the number of creatures present = +/-2 to the EL. Thus, CRGreathouse has the right of it...

Bearing in mind that an encounter of EL equal to the average party level is a pretty weak encounter, EL 2-3 sounds right as a baseline for me too.

Generaly speaking, you're going to have to throw a lot of CRs from books right out the window. CR assumes that you have a few basic classes covered in a party. Start changing around and removing classes from the mix, and balance changes a lot. For example, if your 2 person party has a rogue and no cleric, undead are going to be a huge issue. Likewise, a bunch of tiny little creatures that could be taken out with one area damage spell are going to be a huge nusiance if you have to arcane caster.

But other that those kind of issues, what people have said above is fine.

Old Nick

First Post
Having also done some DMing of a two-character party, I would just echo what Deset Gled said about having to look at CRs very carefully.

On the one hand, the rules tend to assume a balanced party and unless the two-party characters are both multiclassed, they're likely to be missing some useful abilities.

On the other hand, two fourth-level characters may well have access to abilities and/or spells that won't be available to a party of four second or third level characters.

And on the third hand (hey this is D&D I might have three hands :D ) bear in mind that some attacks will be more effective against a two character party. A successful hold person against a four character party takes out 25% of the group. A successful hold person against a two character party takes out 50% of the group!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads