CR of an awakened animal?

frankthedm

First Post
Korak said:
For PCs, yes. Not for NPCs. ECL is a non-existent concept for an NPC.
DMG says use PC-Class level to determine custom selected gear for an NPC along with the CR worth of [random] treasure. MM and SRD say use the ECL. Since the MM text would be giving epic gear to non epic foes, the DMG seems more on the money.

frankthedm

First Post
szilard said:
What is the CR of a NPC Tiefling Rogue 4?

-Stuart
The CR is four.

In a single fight he is not notably harder to fight than a human or half orc rogue.

Over the span of a campaign, the benfits a player character teifling has are a little bit better than the PHB races and as such he must pay a character level for that.

brehobit

Explorer
There has been quite a bit of discussion about this. I'd suggest using the worg as a template.
For ECL see http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82688

For CR, I'd say +1, maybe +2. A wolf is a fairly weak CR1, a worg a pretty powerful (other than damage output) CR2.

If you want to see something gross, build a vow-of-poverty worg swordsage. Not great for the ECL, but huge for the CR if you give them an elite array or something similar. Level 4 or 5 is the sweet spot. (I gave him the VoP as an evil bad guy and took away the bonus feats from VoP)

Mark

Nail

First Post
@ frankthedm:
[sblock]
Huh. I had thought (naively) that "Romeoville" was a pseudonym. Then I tried it on Google Earth...... ah-ha! It exists! Cool.

"Toxic Water"?[/sblock]

frankthedm

First Post
Nail said:
@ frankthedm:
[sblock]
Huh. I had thought (naively) that "Romeoville" was a pseudonym. Then I tried it on Google Earth...... ah-ha! It exists! Cool.

"Toxic Water"?[/sblock]
[sblock]Tap water around here forms heavy chalky deposits on any cookware used to boil water. If frozen, the impurities form a visible layer of white dust on the cubes. The town releases a yearly report that shows the radium overdose our town has had.

Also, my town is where the I&M* canal turns dead south.

Argonne national labs and the Joliet arsenal are not too far from my town, but there is no real evidence those have any influence on the local water.

*irradiated and mutative as i like to call it.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Moon-Lancer

First Post
frankthedm said:
Unless you rule the dire tiger has to still spell every spell he casts with a somatic componenet, I'm thinking the druid levels ought to count as associated.

why would they need to do this? if they did, they probably would only need natural spell.

frankthedm

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
why would they need to do this? if they did, they probably would only need natural spell.
Natural spell would not be of much use. A loose reading of it would let the tiger only need to have his material components on his body, but it is quite clear you must be in a wildshape to circumvent somatic components without hands.

Natural Spell [General]
Prerequisites
Wis 13, wild shape ability.

Benefit
You can complete the verbal and somatic components of spells while in a wild shape. You substitute various noises and gestures for the normal verbal and somatic components of a spell.

You can also use any material components or focuses you possess, even if such items are melded within your current form. This feat does not permit the use of magic items while you are in a form that could not ordinarily use them, and you do not gain the ability to speak while in a wild shape.

Remove ads