CR Paradox

Psimancer said:
I do not doubt you, but where does it say this (can I get a page reference)?

Not until I get home... :)

In the DMG (3.0), it's in the section on encounter design. There's a table, which includes various CR combinations and how they affect EL: double of a given CR = EL + 2 (Buddies), CR + CR - 2 = EL + 1 (Boss and Hench), etc.

If I can remember to do so, I'll look it up for you.

EDIT: It also includes some text on the inapplicability of this scale for "large groups."

Basically, an orc is CR 1/2, and therefore EL 1/2.

Two orcs are CR 1/2, EL 1.

Four orcs are CR 1/2, EL 3.

Eight orcs are CR 1/2, EL 5.

512 orcs are CR 1/2, EL 17.

So, a small army of basic orc warriors is an EL 17 encounter, even though, realistically speaking, no 17th-level party would have any trouble with such a group.

Last edited:

Antoine

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
OTOH, a 9th level NPC spellcaster has a lot of resources that will probably never be used, unless the DM metagames and retractively casts a huge load of buffs.

Who says PCs are chasing NPCs and not the other way around ?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Antoine said:
Who says PCs are chasing NPCs and not the other way around ?

My usage of the word "probably" includes the possibility of variances from the most common scenario. The CR ratings themselves presume certain likely scenarios. If you radically tilt the playing field one way or another then you cannot expect the CRs to be meaningful. That should be obvious.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Note also that the CR system is based on 25-point-buy characters. If your PCs tend to be higher than 25-point-buy, then they should be able to take on tougher monsters.

We usually do 30-32 point buy, and just face tougher monsters, sometimes facing encounters that are 5 or more levels above ours. But we tend to face only one encounter per day, and so that encounter gets to be a doozy.

Daniel

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Pielorinho said:
We usually do 30-32 point buy, and just face tougher monsters, sometimes facing encounters that are 5 or more levels above ours. But we tend to face only one encounter per day, and so that encounter gets to be a doozy.

I have played with some DMs who favor that style, too. If the PCs do not get warning enough to buff up for a round or two, it is very easy to get a PC toasted dead on round 1 by luck of the dice.

Remove ads