• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

craft question

sckeener

First Post
For the first time I'm going to be playing a character that has craft alchemy and I plan on using it. I was confused by the wording of the skill though.

On pg 71

If the check succeeds, multiply your check result by the DC. If the result × the DC equals the price of the item in sp, then you have completed the item.​

Does that mean if I roll an 15 and the DC was 15 (for say Acid) then I should multiply 15 by 15 for 225 silver pieces? Acid only costs 10gp. How could Acid ever take a week to make?

Can you ever 'take 10' or 'take 20' on craft?

atomn

Explorer
sckeener said:
Does that mean if I roll an 15 and the DC was 15 (for say Acid) then I should multiply 15 by 15 for 225 silver pieces? Acid only costs 10gp. How could Acid ever take a week to make?

Can you ever 'take 10' or 'take 20' on craft?

I'm no expert but I think the 225 silver is to see whether or not the item is completed, not the price it took to make it. I think that should be 1/3 of the normal cost.

If you want you can make checks by the day instead of by the week:
"Progress by the Day: You can make checks by the day instead of by the week. In this case your progress (check result × DC) is in copper pieces instead of silver pieces."
Also, "You may voluntarily add +10 to the indicated DC to craft an item. This allows you to create the item more quickly (since you’ll be multiplying this higher DC by your Craft check result to determine progress). You must decide whether to increase the DC before you make each weekly or daily check."

I would say you can take 10 on it since you most likely are not being threatened or distracted while doing it. But you can't take 20 since the skill being attempted carries penalties for failure.

sckeener

First Post
So I was basically right about the mechanic...that the check result is the modified number rolled times the dc...acid will never take more than half a week to make.

Just seems like a strange mechanic (i.e. check result times the DC.)

If I go by CP per day, then making Acid (assuming I make the 15 DC exactly each time), it would take 5 days to make the acid vs half a week by the silver piece method.

I think this is the first instance where I have seen the core rules match Forgotten realms....a week in FR is 10 days....which half a week would then match the CP creation method perfectly.

In a normal week, that acid should have taken 3.5 days to make.

Chu Li

First Post
the craft/creation mechanism sucks big time due to the forced correlation between price and creation time of the item, while copletely ignoring the item's complexity, which means that the more expensive the item is, the longer it takes to create it. On the other hand you could always brew yourself some nice ale for the evening. doesn't really take any time ;)

Chu Li

Last edited:

Gregor

First Post
sckeener said:
Anyone know where to find the DCs for making the poisons from the DMG pg 297?

Rules for creating poisons are included in Complete Adventurer, and I believe they were also reprinted in a fairly recent issue of Dragon ... I forget the issue number, but it has an article on bows and x-bows, a demonomicon article on Dagon and I believe the cover is green and has an elf woman drawing a bow.

sckeener

First Post
Gregor said:
Rules for creating poisons are included in Complete Adventurer, and I believe they were also reprinted in a fairly recent issue of Dragon ... I forget the issue number, but it has an article on bows and x-bows, a demonomicon article on Dagon and I believe the cover is green and has an elf woman drawing a bow.

thanks....the complete adventure had the DCs though the mechanic for craft poisonmaking looks different than normal craft. They have the check result times the dc equal Gold pieces....not Silver pieces. A basic DC 15 with a minimum check result of 15 yields 225 gp which makes many of poisons in a week or less....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads