• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Craft: Song Lyrics/Poetry?

Lord Ravinous

First Post
Would writing songs and poetry be more Intelligence or Charisma based rules wise (Craft or Perform), me and my friend are at odds in this discussion.

Valicor

First Post
Well its kinda a combination of both. Are you making the lyrics/poetry or resiting it. The creation process would be based on a characters inteligence, and then once performed charisma takes over. There is no offical rule for this though, as far as I know.

Crothian

First Post
The problem is Craft skills are based on the cost of an item? How much does a poemn cost? And poems can take a very little or extremely long time to write. THat length has little to do with the qualtity of the poem.

Valicor

First Post
Crothian has a good point, I didn't think of it that way. Maybe base it off of which ever of the two skills is higher. Thus creating the best result.

Limper

First Post
DOING poetry is a perform it does not say that writing it is.

Craft is the mechanic for Creating..... its the only option which provides a mechanic for quality of work. (Time) x (check) = (value) works pretty well as a guideline of reversed computation of Craft.

Profession is for service based jobs. It provides a mechanic for earning a living this week.

Perform gives the mechanic for how much you make for given "show". It represents what "life" you can breath into a given work or action. Its about entertainment. Not material.

Also I asked the same thing on Monte's board and Monte himself said Craft (this is backed up by reading the clearer skill descriptions in the Call of Cthulhu book).

Crothian

First Post
Craft might be the best skill we have, but it is not even close to what is needed. Writing is not like other crafts. It can take months if not years to write that one novel, or you might get a classic poem done in a few minutes of inspiration.

If you write years for a book, how much money do you get for it?
If you write a poem on a free afternoon, how much money do you get for it?

Check x DC = value of a week work in silver pieces, right?
So, if you want to write a poem which gives you enough money for a common meal (1sp), you could make a Craft Check DC 1, and if you roll a 5, you will have the desired money in one day. :)

Mustrum Ridcully

Remove ads