• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Craft Wondrous Question

Chimera

First Post
Ok, so I'm extremely lazy and want others to do my work for me.

I'm considering taking Craft Wondrous Items at 6th level. What cool and/or useful items would I be able to make at that level? (My other consideration is to leave it for 9th level and take something else (Craft Arms & Armor or a Metamagic or perhaps even Leadership) at 6th.)

Yes, I've been paging though the book, but I'm really busy with work and other issues and keep coming back to thinking that it might not be worth it at 6th level. Please help me by pointing out the really cool things I can make at 6th, if there are any.

Just about all of the stat enhancing items are good - and getting your party members to foot the bill for them will give you the cash you need to enhance your own abilities.

Pearls of Power - and similar items - are always useful to have on hand.

Boots of Striding and Springing are popular choices, as are skill enhancers (like Cloaks and Boots of Nonelvenkind).

Chimera

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Just about all of the stat enhancing items are good - and getting your party members to foot the bill for them will give you the cash you need to enhance your own abilities.

Ah, but with the exception of Gauntlets Ogre Power, they all require CL 8. I'm asking for CL 6 items.

Pearls of Power - and similar items - are always useful to have on hand.

CL 17

Way out of my league.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
"CL" refers to the item's caster level, which comes in to play when:
1/ the item produces a spell effect (such as a wand, ring of spell storing, or weapon of spell storing); or
2/ the item is trying to resist suppression by a dispel magic spell.

If the item requires a certain caster level to create, that is noted specially in the "requires" part. Here's an example:

srd said:
Spell Storing

A spell storing weapon allows a spellcaster to store a single targeted spell of up to 3rd level in the weapon. (blah blah blah...)

Strong evocation (plus aura of stored spell); CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be a caster of at least 12th level; Price +1 bonus.

So, all sorts of stuff is open to you! :)

-- N

farscapesg1

First Post
Nifft said:
"CL" refers to the item's caster level, which comes in to play when:
1/ the item produces a spell effect (such as a wand, ring of spell storing, or weapon of spell storing); or
2/ the item is trying to resist suppression by a dispel magic spell.

If the item requires a certain caster level to create, that is noted specially in the "requires" part. Here's an example:

So, all sorts of stuff is open to you! :)

-- N

While thanks to the FAQ this is true, it depends on what he is playing. If he is playing Living Greyhawk, then this doesn't work per their rulings (the CL for the item is the caster level required to create it, except for Pearls of Power).

It also depends on the DM. The group that I am currently playing in is set in Greyhawk, and while not RPGA sponsored, the DM sticks with many of their rules. This one is included :( So remember, check with your DM first to find out how he handles the caster level requirements for creating items.

Jack Simth

First Post
A Hat of Disguise can be handy for games with a reasonable amount of social interaction.

Hand of the Mage can occasionally be useful for retrieving those little items that you don't want to go to in order to get (permanently saves you needing to ever prepare Mage Hand)

Pipes of Sounding are useful for your bard if you want to convince someone that a place is haunted.

An Eversmoking bottle can be handy, but only very so if you have a place you want covered in smoke permanently, or if you have lots of time to set up.

Eyes of the Eagle can give useful bonuses for the scout (+5 Competence to Spot)

Goggles of Minute Seeing are useful for the Trapfinder in the party (+5 Competence to Search)

Goggles of Night grant 60-ft darkvision.

The Horn of Fog is less useful than an Eversmoking bottle, in many circumstances (they can hear where you are while using it, and it must be actively used - can't just set and forget)

Horseshoes of speed are useful for any mounts in the party (or a centaur, if you have one)
As are the Horseshoes of a Zepher.

Slippers of Spider Climbing can be useful for getting around obstacles or escaping land-bound opponents.

A Circlet of Persuasion is useful for the party diplomat.

Cloak of Resistance is ALWAYS useful (and you can manage the +2 version)

A Cube of Frost Reistance is handy in cold climates (so long, cold weather hazards!)

A Hand of Glory is useful if you want another ring slot, and lets you prepare one fewer See Invisibility spells each day.

A Harp of Charming can get the party bard out of (or into, if people make their saves...) a lot of trouble.

A Helm of Telepathy is useful for party communication when you must be silent, for some reason.

A Helm of Underwater Action is useful in a campagin with lots of water.

A Lantern of Revealing is just plain fun at times.

A Medallion of thoughts is much more easily concealed than a Helm of Telepathy.

A Scabbard of Keen Edges is useful for any party blade-slinger.

A Luckstone is very useful all-around (and slotless, too!) ... but you will need a cleric to help you make it.

A Sustaining Spoon (or two) cuts down on food costs, but again, you will need a cleric to help you make it.

A Folding Boat is useful when there is water about.

A Cloak of Arachnida is really, really useful if you like to use Web.

A Glove of Storing is useful if you have anything you may need to bring to hand without it being obvious before you get it out.

A Lyre of Building can net a bard lots of GP in a city (replaces a sizeable construction crew), once a week.

Li Shenron

Legend
Ehm... am I blind or didn't you tell us yet if you are a cleric or a wizard, and which spells you know? :p

That's the most limiting factor for crafting wondrous items. You won't be making Gloves of Dexterity at any level if you're a cleric, for example.

If you're a cleric or druid you have usually more options, but also a wizard has quite many. If you don't know the spell, in theory you could just go around and buy a scroll, and even have it cast by someone else if you cannot cast it from a scrolls (but overall I've always found this shortcut pretty lame).

Anyway... IMHO the best wondrous items to make are the cheap ones, especially AC boosting items and stat-enhancing items, unless you already have plenty of them from treasure.

Remove ads