• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crafting a MWK Warhammer in one day

Matafuego

Explorer
Hello guys:

IMC there's a prophecy about a magical Warhammer that was crafted in just one day. There's a clan of dwarven weaponsmiths that have been preparing for this task all their lives, waiting for the appropriate moment and, of course, maximizing all they could their Craft skill.

By my calculations crafting a MWK Warhammer in one day would need a craft roll of 175 (approximately).

So I'm gathering different ideas for maximizing a single craft check and the sources (this is all for 3.5e but 3e can be used as well if it has not been migrated)

• MAX Intelligence (18 at lvl 1, the crafter might be lvl 20 or 21) with Enhancement bonus to Intelligence and the appropriate manual read for an extra +5
  • Skill focus (and Epic Skill Focus)
  • Having helpers (I think you can have at most 5, for a +10)
  • MAX ranks (of course!)
  • Racial bonuses (I think it's just a +2)

I remember there being magic objects that gave you bonuses as well as a magic forge.
Also I'm struggling into which class this Master forger should be, expert?

Help and Ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Regards,

Plane Shift to a dimension where time flows differently. Have a psion create a pocket dimension where time flows differently. Plane Shift to a dimension where the planet rotates only once every year, so a day is much longer.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
There are a few spells that grant bonuses to crafting skills.
Magecraft in Eberron Campaign Setting grants a +5, Greater Heroism grants a +4 to skill checks. Those are the only two I can recall off the top of my head. I'm not sure how spells such as these stack, or affect multiple crafters.

The Exemplar PrC comes to mind for the Forger individual.

kitcik

Adventurer
A factotum could add class level.

An Exemplar that helps out could add a competence bonus.

EDIT: sorry, having some computer trouble and [MENTION=6674868]RUMBLETiGER[/MENTION] 's post came up after I was done.

Greenfield

Adventurer
There are easier ways than that.

But to begin with, your math is off. A crafting check totaling 175, multiplied by the basic MWK minimum of 20, would result in 3750 copper pieces worth of progress. Dividing by 100 to convert to Gold you get 37.5 gold pieces of progress. You're off by one decimal point. You only get progress in Silver pieces when you take a week at the job.

By the rules though you can voluntarily raise the crafting DC by 10 to craft faster. That would double your production rate.

Presuming you can iterate this move, raising the crafting DC as high as you like, in 10 point blocks, let's look at some numbers.

Raise it to 100 and you get 17500 copper pieces of progress, or 175 gold. Halfway there.

Raise it to 170 and you craft 297.5 gold pieces a day with a roll of 175. Still not there.

You need to raise your craft.

At a Craft check of 180, and target DC of 180, you get 32400 coppers, or 324 gold in a day. Not quite there.

At 190, with the target DC raised the same amount, you get 361 go of progress in a single day.

Alternately, cast Fabricate.

kitcik

Adventurer
I think everything in this thread, excluding items, can get you to around +80-90. An item could get you another +30 if the DM is nice. Sadly, that is not quite good enough and I don't know how to get you closer other than DM discussions - maybe a quest for the mighty anvil artifact of speed or something?

That's another thought - would haste effects / slowing time (with or without leaving the plane as mentioned above) help?

Matafuego

Explorer
Where are Factotum and Exemplar from?
I will check them out.

I wanted to avoid all those planar-travels. The whole idea is that the Hammer has to be craft in a whole day, from dawn till sunset. Actually it has to be crafted on the outside and receive sunlight all the way.
So maybe the craftsman can work on it for longer than 8 hours, depending on daylight, but I'm not going into that right now.
[EDIT]
Yes kitcik, that should work. Spells that make you work longer than 8 hours. Time delaying, or hasting, and all that stuff is more than welcome.
[/EDIT]

As the DC is concerned:
Isn't the price for a MWK Warhammer 312gp?
That makes 31200 to craft it in one day.
And the DC is 15, which can be raised to 175 following the "increase by 10" rule. And you'd need a 179 roll (mutiplied by 175 is > than 31200). That's why I said approx :D
Maybe I have the price wrong :(

Arrowhawk

First Post
Plane Shift to a dimension where time flows differently. Have a psion create a pocket dimension where time flows differently. Plane Shift to a dimension where the planet rotates only once every year, so a day is much longer.
If you're talking about Genesis, reminds me a of huge debate I got unwillingly drawn into. Genesis doesn't technically give you the ability to create a plane with a different time flow.

Remove ads