• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crafting aboard a ship

MarauderX

Explorer
Is there any problem with a wizard crafting items while at sea? In this particular case the ship is stopping regularly to resupply, which assumes that the wizard would replenish and stock up on any materials needed for the next item(s) to be made.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Well, I used to live on a sailboat, and painting miniatures during a storm was pretty challenging. For wizard crafting, glassware might be at risk, and the resulting arcane spills could have humorous to fatal consequences.

There is (deliberately) no rule for this level of detail. If you want your players to craft what they need, then they can do so without trouble. If you want to use this as an excuse for an encounter, then

either the port is completely out of quintessence of mercury because it was all taken in the recent pirate raid,

or lightning bugs are allergic to salt and so a substitute for live lightning bugs must be found,

or oops, I spilled something...and it eats through wood.

Webby140

First Post
If you want a mechanic fix for this, make it a skills challenge with dexterity and arcane checks... I'd make it quite hard because of the seafairing conditions.

Also remember that it might affect how far the group can travel in a day because of the number needed to crew the ship effectively.

MarauderX

Explorer
Number of crew isn't a worry in this case.

More details:
The party will be traveling at sea for two months. I have altered the rules so that an item takes 1 day per level to craft.

I was just wondering if there was anything about creating magic items under less than ideal conditions.

Ahglock

First Post
I did not see any rules on it. I'd say it is purely a judgment call on the side of the DM for there game style. I like the skill challenge idea. Maybe I'd have a failed skill challenge create an encounter with ritual magic going horrible wrong. And personally In bad weather I'd just say no.

nittanytbone

First Post
I'd say its fine. You've already made item crafting SIGNIFICANTLY harder than its supposed to be BTB. Don't make that Ritual Caster bonus feat even more useless than it often is by applying the nerf stick again. Will allowing the wizard to be wizardly, thus saving the party a few hundred GP, really break your game? Not at all.

MarauderX

Explorer
I'd say its fine. You've already made item crafting SIGNIFICANTLY harder than its supposed to be BTB. Don't make that Ritual Caster bonus feat even more useless than it often is by applying the nerf stick again. Will allowing the wizard to be wizardly, thus saving the party a few hundred GP, really break your game? Not at all.

Not harder, longer.

To everyone else, thank you for the input.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads